RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Posts: 5,360,110
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 438
Newest member: shrutidhrma


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 25 2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Okay, I'm trying to burn a DVD on my computer here and I've now wasted three blank DVDs trying to figure this damn problem out.

I try burning the disc, the Windows DVD Maker icon shows that I'm WELL inside the disc space, the file(s) only taking up maybe 66% of the disc's space. So this is not an issue of "menus and bullshit take up some space too." Also I tried it again after removing one of the files (the disc now to be about 1/2 full.) And I got the same error message about 80% through the "burning process", after clicking "ok" the disc continues to "burn" until a few tenths of a percent away from completion before the burner spits out a now useless hunk of plastic and the program says there was an "error in burning."

Should be noted the program IS saying the problem is with DVD's space not with hard drive space or memory space. (Both should be more than adequate, over 250GB of space avail on HD, and around a quarter of my 2GB of memory being used.)

I'm using Windows DVD Maker and would appreciate any help that ISN'T "get x, y and z, DVD Maker."

I've made several DVDs just fine using WDM and it's just recently started giving me problems.

DVDs I'm using are brand new, standard, 4.7GB/120min/16x blank DVDs.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

I thought we took tech problems to the Science and Tech forum?
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Okay, I'm trying to burn a DVD on my computer here and I've now wasted three blank DVDs trying to figure this damn problem out.

I try burning the disc, the Windows DVD Maker icon shows that I'm WELL inside the disc space, the file(s) only taking up maybe 66% of the disc's space. So this is not an issue of "menus and bullshit take up some space too." Also I tried it again after removing one of the files (the disc now to be about 1/2 full.) And I got the same error message about 80% through the "burning process", after clicking "ok" the disc continues to "burn" until a few tenths of a percent away from completion before the burner spits out a now useless hunk of plastic and the program says there was an "error in burning."

Should be noted the program IS saying the problem is with DVD's space not with hard drive space or memory space. (Both should be more than adequate, over 250GB of space avail on HD, and around a quarter of my 2GB of memory being used.)

I'm using Windows DVD Maker and would appreciate any help that ISN'T "get x, y and z, DVD Maker."

I've made several DVDs just fine using WDM and it's just recently started giving me problems.

DVDs I'm using are brand new, standard, 4.7GB/120min/16x blank DVDs.
It's a very common problem with Windows DVD Maker. If you check the Windows Vista forums, there are gobs of threads with this exact problem, with few solutions. The best one I've found so far is to do this:

Open DVD Maker. Go to Tools > Compatibility > Uncheck all filters ending in .ax.

If that doesn't work, fuck it, and download this:
http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

It's free. I've used it and it works okay.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom! Don't ask why, just do it.
:: :: ::
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I thought we took tech problems to the Science and Tech forum?
EH, maybe. Misc gets more traffic and reaches a wider audience thus increasing the likelihood of help.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Okay, I'm trying to burn a DVD on my computer here and I've now wasted three blank DVDs trying to figure this damn problem out.

I try burning the disc, the Windows DVD Maker icon shows that I'm WELL inside the disc space, the file(s) only taking up maybe 66% of the disc's space. So this is not an issue of "menus and bullshit take up some space too." Also I tried it again after removing one of the files (the disc now to be about 1/2 full.) And I got the same error message about 80% through the "burning process", after clicking "ok" the disc continues to "burn" until a few tenths of a percent away from completion before the burner spits out a now useless hunk of plastic and the program says there was an "error in burning."

Should be noted the program IS saying the problem is with DVD's space not with hard drive space or memory space. (Both should be more than adequate, over 250GB of space avail on HD, and around a quarter of my 2GB of memory being used.)

I'm using Windows DVD Maker and would appreciate any help that ISN'T "get x, y and z, DVD Maker."

I've made several DVDs just fine using WDM and it's just recently started giving me problems.

DVDs I'm using are brand new, standard, 4.7GB/120min/16x blank DVDs.
It's a very common problem with Windows DVD Maker. If you check the Windows Vista forums, there are gobs of threads with this exact problem, with few solutions. The best one I've found so far is to do this:

Open DVD Maker. Go to Tools > Compatibility > Uncheck all filters ending in .ax.

If that doesn't work, fuck it, and download this:
http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

It's free. I've used it and it works okay.
Yeah.... no compatibility tab.

EDIT: Nevermind. found it in "Movie Maker" which, as I understand it, is related to DVD Maker and should have the same effect.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.

Last edited by Trekker4747; November 25 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral
 
Spot's Meow's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

This may be completely not helpful, but I encountered similar problems a few months ago (using a different program), and after some research online I discovered how important disc quality is. When using the cheap DVDs I could find at Best Buy, the burning process failed about 75% of the time. So I decided to buy a higher quality brand online and they burned just fine. So, if you can't figure out what the issue is, I would suggest buying some really good discs if you haven't already.
__________________
Time present and time past
are both perhaps present in time future.
And time future contained in time past.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Mmmm. I dunno. I use the Memorex DVD-R discs as I always do and they worked perfectly for a great deal of time there. If I get this problem again I'll try a "higher quality" brand but I don't think Memorex is that low-quality. Anyway, I made the setting changes suggested by J. Allen above and no dice.

So I just simply "saved the files to disc" using W.Explorer. It's a rough, unglamorous and clunky way to do it but it works.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:16 AM   #8
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Don't use Windows DVD Maker.

Sorry, dude, that's it. I've used it in the past, and ended up going with other options.
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Non Sync
Captain
 
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Re: Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

I found by creating ISO images first and then burn the image to disc has virtually eliminated bad burns.
__________________
"You're gonna need a bigger boat"
Non Sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.