Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 5 2013, 02:46 AM   #361
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
The problem is "could care less" is recorded in American English usage even earlier than Couldn't Care Less.
That's not what the article says. (Emphasis added.)
A bit of history first: the original expression, of course, was I couldn’t care less, meaning “it is impossible for me to have less interest or concern in this matter, since I am already utterly indifferent”. It is originally British. The first record of it in print I know of is in 1946, as the title of a book by Anthony Phelps, recording his experiences in Air Transport Auxiliary during World War II. By then it had clearly become sufficiently well known that he could rely on its being recognised. It seems to have reached the US some time in the 1950s and to have become popular in the latter part of that decade. The inverted form I could care less was coined in the US and is found only there. It may have begun to be used in the early 1960s, though it turns up in a written form only in 1966.
Old January 5 2013, 08:25 PM   #362
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Hmmm, I remembered previously reading that, while couldn't care less certainly appeared in British usage before could care less appeared in American usage, that couldn't care less didn't appear in American usage until after. However, you're probably right.

Still, given that it only appeared in American usage, it seems logical to conclude that it was more of a cultural thing, rather than just someone messing up.
Old January 6 2013, 11:18 AM   #363
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Still, given that it only appeared in American usage, it seems logical to conclude that it was more of a cultural thing, rather than just someone messing up.
Unless "messing up" happens to be a cultural thing.
Old January 6 2013, 03:39 PM   #364
Finn
Vice Admiral

I got another one I don't think was mentioned already...

"You live here!", said after I would tell a visitor that I'm not sure how to get to a place in an part of town I don't frequent".

Just because I live in a given city doesn't mean I know exactly how to go to a tourist spot with a well mapped out route. I lived in the DC area for about nine years combined, and I couldn't tell you exactly how to get to the Pentagon from my university or even my in-laws' (via car).
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:47 PM   #365
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Wow, I get asked by tourists for directions all the time, and they're never bitchy to me when I don't know how to get somewhere. How annoying! Once I overheard a dude giving directions to some particularly obnoxious tourists who wanted to get to Broadway. Without missing a beat he told them to take the A train to Broadway Junction. It was mean, but also hilarious.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:00 PM   #366
RoJoHen
Awesome

While sitting at my bar and drinking beer, tourists always ask me, "So what is there to do around here?"

I always look at them and say, "You're pretty much doing it."
Old January 7 2013, 09:13 PM   #367
scotpens
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Once I overheard a dude giving directions to some particularly obnoxious tourists who wanted to get to Broadway.
Reminds me of the old joke:

"Excuse me, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice, practice, practice!"
Old January 7 2013, 09:18 PM   #368
Finn
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Wow, I get asked by tourists for directions all the time, and they're never bitchy to me when I don't know how to get somewhere. How annoying! Once I overheard a dude giving directions to some particularly obnoxious tourists who wanted to get to Broadway. Without missing a beat he told them to take the A train to Broadway Junction. It was mean, but also hilarious.

They must like you, not me.

I remember this one time when I was in a group hanging out somewhere, when a car stopped. The driver asked for directions to some place. One of the guys gave him direction to some locale in the opposite direction.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote