Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 12 2012, 09:53 AM   #331
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: Sayings that you hate now

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I will gladly offer the needy a plastic bag or two, assuming they meet my unreasonable price!
If they are from a no longer existing company they'll soon get rarity value. In 100 years you could make a fortune from them!
Old December 12 2012, 10:14 AM   #332
Kestra
Vice Admiral

T'Preea wrote: View Post
Yeah, normally I'm a paper or reusable bag person; but I do get the plastic because hubs insists on using it for the cat litter. Even though we have a litter genie, he refuses to use the damn thing because he says it sucks. I say it works just fine.
Hmm, I've never heard of Litter Genie before. I'm intrigued!
Old December 13 2012, 12:25 AM   #333
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Not a saying, but the misuse of a perfectly good word: literally. I am reminded of this by the ad I keep seeing on here for a t-shirt that says, "Misuse of 'literally' makes me figuratively insane." Amen!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 12:27 AM   #334
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Yes, I've heard it used literally billions of times and it drives me nuts!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 01:01 AM   #335
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ I'm impressed that you're able to count that high.
Old December 13 2012, 01:07 AM   #336
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

It automatically becomes "billions" after I run out of fingers and toes.
Old December 18 2012, 03:46 PM   #337
Finn
Vice Admiral

I just thought of one.

I can't stand it when someone does something like shaving half of their hair, and dyeing the rest a variety of colors, then rationalizes it by saying "Do it once in your life", meaning it's okay to do stupid or crazy things if it's only once, no matter what it is because you live once.

Before you say that you never seen that happen, the freshmen class at my university dyes their hair (it was usually bleaching or dyeing one color in my undergrad days, but more radical these days) and wears it for several weeks until "bald day", when they shave their hair. Every spring, the university is full of 18-19 year old bald female co-eds. Neither I or my wife had done that, though the wife dyed her hair blond.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:02 PM   #338
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^I see the problem with the saying itself, because one could use it to justify really dangerous things. But your hair example is totally harmless.
Old December 18 2012, 04:29 PM   #339
Finn
Vice Admiral

By itself, yes. However, I've seen parents or prospective students decide against going there because of that, thus depriving them of a full language-accessible learning environment that many of them may not find elsewhere.
Old December 18 2012, 05:32 PM   #340
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
I just thought of one.

I can't stand it when someone does something like shaving half of their hair, and dyeing the rest a variety of colors, then rationalizes it by saying "Do it once in your life", meaning it's okay to do stupid or crazy things if it's only once, no matter what it is because you live once.
So, if they do it multiple times, it's okay...?

Old December 18 2012, 06:03 PM   #341
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
By itself, yes. However, I've seen parents or prospective students decide against going there because of that, thus depriving them of a full language-accessible learning environment that many of them may not find elsewhere.
Not sure what you mean by "full language-accessible".

People make college choices for all kinds of serious and silly reasons. I have to admit, if someone rejected the only option they had for a particular kind of learning environment because some of the students do silly stuff with their hair, I'd wonder just how serious they were about their education or how badly they really needed that particular kind of environment.
Old December 18 2012, 06:07 PM   #342
Finn
Vice Admiral

^or assuming its "normal" for the Deaf walking around like that

*shrughs*
Old December 18 2012, 06:14 PM   #343
lurok
Commodore

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I don't exactly hate it, but it really puzzles me when I'm in the US and at every shop the staff asks "How are you today?"/.../
Isn't the phrase just a variation of the old How do you do?
Indeed. I live in the U.S and I still find that puzzling. However, we're just a bunch of courteous people trying to be friendly. I admit, I ask that question everyday at work. It's kind of an ice-breaker for what I do.
That's one of the things I love about the US that I wish we still had in UK. A small gesture costs nothing, and all you need to do is smile and say 'Fine (or other as appropriate), thank you'. I realise they're not really asking me how I am or requesting some life statement
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:43 PM   #344
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
trekkiedane wrote: View Post

Isn't the phrase just a variation of the old How do you do?
Indeed. I live in the U.S and I still find that puzzling. However, we're just a bunch of courteous people trying to be friendly. I admit, I ask that question everyday at work. It's kind of an ice-breaker for what I do.
That's one of the things I love about the US that I wish we still had in UK. A small gesture costs nothing, and all you need to do is smile and say 'Fine (or other as appropriate), thank you'. I realise they're not really asking me how I am or requesting some life statement
Here the question is often "How has your day been?". I usually "Good" but sometimes I answer "Boring, all I been doing is housework", or "Great, just been to movies".

I know that some large stores have secret shoppers who report sales staff who don't greet customers politely.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:48 PM   #345
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Not exactly sayings, but...

(1) "All anyone with cancer wants...", "I know we all appreciate (or believe or feel or whatever)...", and all the other variations of someone being convinced that everyone in a certain category feels the same way. And it's even worse when the person saying it doesn't even fit into that category themselves.

Example: There's a thing about people with cancer floating around Facebook, saying basically that while most of us want all sorts of superficial stuff, all someone with cancer wants is to live another day. Oh really? And, at least in my experience, none of the people posting it even have cancer themselves. How dare they speak for me!

(2) "No one else [except those of us in a very specific situation] would understand." It sounds so "us vs. them" to me. Have we given up on the idea that people can empathize with each other, even when they haven't experienced the identical situation?

Edited to say, oops, I posted something very similar to (1) way upthread somewhere. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by Tora Ziyal; December 31 2012 at 08:31 PM.