USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 10 2012, 11:11 PM   #316
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: Sayings that you hate now

T'Preea wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
"It makes no difference" in reference to "paper or plastic? *I'm a checker at a grocery store* Half the time I want so smack those people. It makes all the difference. Sorry, I'm ranting.
I'm surprised that you work in a store that still gives people an option. Nobody around here even has paper bags anymore.
*sad panda* Washington State passed a bill that by the end of next year, plastic will no longer be available and stores will start charging for paper. Unless, of course; the customers have their own fabric, re-usable bags. I work in Snohomish County, which is one of three that haven't yet complied with that bill.

We must not be very far apart, then.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 11:14 PM   #317
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

^I live on Camano, but I work in Stanwood.

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
I don't exactly hate it, but it really puzzles me when I'm in the US and at every shop the staff asks "How are you today?"/.../
Isn't the phrase just a variation of the old How do you do?
Indeed. I live in the U.S and I still find that puzzling. However, we're just a bunch of courteous people trying to be friendly. I admit, I ask that question everyday at work. It's kind of an ice-breaker for what I do.
Old December 10 2012, 11:34 PM   #318
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I try not to talk like that to customers at my store. If somebody obviously needs help, I'll ask them if I can help, but if they're just shopping, I'll keep my mouth shut. I don't see it as any of my BUSINESS how the customer is doing.

I'm not a big fan of small talk, obviously.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 04:59 AM   #319
B.J.
Rear Admiral

"It makes no difference" in reference to "paper or plastic? *I'm a checker at a grocery store* Half the time I want so smack those people. It makes all the difference. Sorry, I'm ranting.
I'm surprised that you work in a store that still gives people an option. Nobody around here even has paper bags anymore.
*sad panda* Washington State passed a bill that by the end of next year, plastic will no longer be available and stores will start charging for paper. Unless, of course; the customers have their own fabric, re-usable bags. I work in Snohomish County, which is one of three that haven't yet complied with that bill.
Haven't seen a paper bag here at all. Of course, we actually *use* our plastic bags beyond just bringing home the groceries. Usually we use them to seal up diapers, cat poop, or clothes that our 4 year old had an "accident" in. I wouldn't want to do any of that with a fabric bag!
Old December 11 2012, 05:35 AM   #320
RoJoHen
Awesome

^Yep, I use all of my plastic grocery bags for cat poop!
Old December 11 2012, 07:25 AM   #321
Kestra
Vice Admiral

The reusable bags I have can be thrown in the wash. I love them.
Old December 11 2012, 07:39 AM   #322
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Over here we're rather environmental (need to as we have hardly any resources). Free plastic bags are an endangered species nowadays. Usually, plastic bags cost 15-60 cents a piece, depending on size and store. Sadly, paper bags are rare; they cost 15 to 30 cents but are much bigger and sturdier than the plastic ones. Most shops have cotton bags that cost 75 ct - $1.25 Their quality differs widely from veil-thin to suitable for carrying an elephant.
People who come by car often bring foldable plastic boxes that fit in the trunk.

Btw, here you are supposed to pack your stuff yourself. And quickly, because the rest of the queue is impatient and the lady at the cashier mercilessly shoves the next customer's stuff over the scanner into your heap.
Old December 11 2012, 07:57 AM   #323
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

In Hong Kong they used to use plastic bags, but in 2008 supermarkets introduced 0.50 $ for a plastic bag to encourage people to use their own, fabric bags. It worked. Most of people use their own bags and those who forgot to bring theirs, often prefer to carry all their groceries in their arms than paying 50 cents

HK is so tiny we just ran out of space to throw out all those used plastic bags
Old December 11 2012, 10:12 AM   #324
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Btw, here you are supposed to pack your stuff yourself. And quickly, because the rest of the queue is impatient and the lady at the cashier mercilessly shoves the next customer's stuff over the scanner into your heap.
Anyone tries that on me, they'd get an earful about visually impaired customers not being able to pack so fast as other people... and if they argue, the manager gets summoned. Fast.
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 03:34 PM   #325
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^Yep, I use all of my plastic grocery bags for cat poop!
I take my reusable bags about half the time and get plastic the other half, to have enough for cat litter and other trash.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:27 PM   #326
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

My hamster's litter goes into a paper bag. Fortunately, I have a very emancipated hamster. When he considers it time for a thorough cleanup (about every fortnight), he piles all his litter up to a heap in the corner of his cage and then shoves it out. I just have to put a waste basket at the respective corner in the evening and sweep up the floor (the hamster is somewhat vigorous and has a bad aim) and put new litter into the cage the next morning.
Old December 11 2012, 08:53 PM   #327
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ That's great! I wish I could teach my cats to change their own litter box.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 09:08 PM   #328
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Re. Carrier bags: By breakfast time this morning I noticed that my bread had gone stale and that I had no butter... Oh well, on with the winter clothes and down the street to the bakery after a loaf of bread.

The thing is: my local bakery is actually a café that just happens to also sell freshly baked bread - so they had no butter I then continued to the nearest shop that had butter. - And into the next-door shop, now that I was in the vicinity, for a few things for lunch.
On my way home I saw some half-finger gloves (which I'd been on the look-out for)...

Three shops and three times I was offered plastic bags to carry my few items - but in the last shop I was asked if I wanted to buy a bag and had to respond with a: "With each shop I'm exiting today it's getting more and more difficult to do without a bag, but no thanks, I'll manage" -which actually made the cashier laugh out loud! -having put down several items, I had just bought elsewhere, on her desk before I could dig out my wallet in order to pay for those gloves, and at the time picking them up again, I suppose she did have something to laugh at...
Old December 11 2012, 09:16 PM   #329
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

On the subject of plastic bags, when my retail job of a few months back went down the toilet (along with every other job with that company and the company itself), the manager invited us to liberate whatever spare supplies were left after the end. I carried off a box full of plastic bags, and so now have several hundred of them stored neatly. I am the plastic bag baron. I am the king of plastic bags. I will gladly offer the needy a plastic bag or two, assuming they meet my unreasonable price!
Old December 12 2012, 03:10 AM   #330
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

Yeah, normally I'm a paper or reusable bag person; but I do get the plastic because hubs insists on using it for the cat litter. Even though we have a litter genie, he refuses to use the damn thing because he says it sucks. I say it works just fine.