RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 594
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 20 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
indolover
Fleet Captain

Do you agree with the concept of the Q?

Whilst it was a good concept and Q is cool as a character, I can't help it a bit pretentious.

So humans are so great, we'll become Gods in the distant future?
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Do you agree with the concept of the Q?

My main reaction is "why is this superior being trying to have conversations with ants? Why does he care about the ant colony?"

later, I was annoyed at the writers' lack of courage and imagination. The Q are omnipotent beings that could wipe out the Federation with a thought. The most dangerous beings in the cosmos. So let's make Q comedy relief, a prancing boob worthy only of our derision, so we don't have to deal with the fact that he could wipe out existence at a wrong word from us.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Well, he wasn't allowed to do that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Forbin wrote: View Post
My main reaction is "why is this superior being trying to have conversations with ants? Why does he care about the ant colony?"
I saw Q more as playing with the ant colony rather than trying to talk to it. The ep "Hide and Q" is a classic example. Q's game where he puts the crew in a mock Napoleonic battle with humanoid pig-like creatures was Q's way of playing with us like a kid would put ants in a glass of water to see what they do.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:40 PM   #5
sonak
Vice Admiral

Romulan_spy wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
I saw Q more as playing with the ant colony rather than trying to talk to it. The ep "Hide and Q" is a classic example. Q's game where he puts the crew in a mock Napoleonic battle with humanoid pig-like creatures was Q's way of playing with us like a kid would put ants in a glass of water to see what they do.

yeah, I agree that makes more sense than the whole "the Q are afraid of Human potential" nonsense we got at other points. If they just stuck with the idea that Q was just having fun toying with them it would make more sense AND would be scarier, because who wants to think of superpowerful beings with sadistic streaks?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed De Lancie's performance. He was hilarious. But I wish his character had been something else. "Q" didn't make sense to me at all. The comparing the Q's perception of us akin to how we perceive ants doesn't fit (ants don't have much to say at all, whereas we've got plenty), because we could be seen as being within the upper percentile of the evolutionary scale. Certainly "Q" would be curious to a degree and be well equipped to communicate with us (ants are near the bottom of the food chain and don't demonstrate communication outside of primary life concerns--food, shelter, enemies).

But I fully believe that an omnipotent race like the "Q" would either seek out to police the universe or dominate it. They don't seem to do either. And then you have this anomaly with one individual where it likes to tease and taunt people with no productive or scientific aims (e.g. study). The "Q" being we meet has many human qualities... and I seriously don't think that fits at all.
Old December 20 2012, 06:47 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I thought there were several worthwhile Q episodes that explored the potential of the character...

Encounter at Farpoint
Hide and Q
Q Who?
Deja Q
All Good Things...
Death Wish

The rest were garbage.
Old December 20 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
The Overlord
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I thought there were several worthwhile Q episodes that explored the potential of the character...

Encounter at Farpoint
Hide and Q
Q Who?
Deja Q
All Good Things...
Death Wish

The rest were garbage.
What about Tapestry?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
Whilst it was a good concept and Q is cool as a character, I can't help it a bit pretentious.

To be fair, this idea didn't really start with Q, a few of the omnipotent energy being in TOS were like that, such as the Metrons.
Old December 20 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

To some primitive civilizations, humans already are with their magical "skyships," transporters, phasers, and medicines that can cheat death itself.
Old December 20 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Overlord wrote: View Post

What about Tapestry?
Never got the fuss over this episode.
Old December 20 2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

To be fair, this idea didn't really start with Q, a few of the omnipotent energy being in TOS were like that, such as the Metrons.
It would be fun if some species wold only be omnipotent in certain areas of space.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

That's one to look it at it. You can also see it from the opposite perspective: that the Q (and other transcendent entities) keep our all-too-human heroes humble by reminding them that the universe is full of lifeforms that are a lot more evolved than we are . . . .
Old December 20 2012, 09:21 PM   #14
KamenRiderBlade
Lieutenant Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

That's one to look it at it. You can also see it from the opposite perspective: that the Q (and other transcendent entities) keep our all-too-human heroes humble by reminding them that the universe is full of lifeforms that are a lot more evolved than we are . . . .

I treat 'Q' more like the Greek Gods.

They just go about doing as they feel and messing with people.
KamenRiderBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 05:37 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Yeah, it does seem a bit odd that in Trek, the next evolutionary step after human is 'Omnipotent energy being'. Like in Transfigurations or with Kes.

I like the analogy Data made, Q doesn't want to talk to humanity on equal terms, humanity is Q's favorite pet. He likes taking out his laser pointer and watching us chase it around. His favorite humans are the ones who bark back, that's why he's so fond of Picard.'

The Q do dominate the universe. You think they don't? They don't have any reason to wipe out or police humans any more than humans have a reason to police all the lions for killing gazelles.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote