Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 21 2012, 04:35 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Which movie is most like a TOS episode?

Minuet wrote: View Post
Surak of Vulcan wrote: View Post
The (slow) Motion Picture felt much like an extended TOS episode script with updated special effects and everyone wearing pajamas. In fact, it seemed not too unlike 'The Changeling...'
Yeah, yeah, I know, those are all the basic complaints that everyone throws at The Motion Picture. The film has so much more than most people give it credit for. It's the film where Spock explicitly proclaims his deep bond for Kirk, his th'hy'la. You have to admit it's a powerful scene. There's gobs of character development and emotion between Kirk and Spock in that movie, to the extent that I can't even imagine why anyone would completely dismiss the film outright.

But, that's an argument for another topic (and it's an argument that's been argued to death). I think I just have to agree to disagree with the majority of fandom who explicitly dislikes TMP.
Chalk me up as a comrade in arms, Minuet! TMP is a magnificent cinematic achievement and remains my favourite of the eleven Star Trek movies. To this day, I still love firing up my home cinema system and immersing myself in the staggering visuals and incredible soundtrack - soaking up the wonderful atmosphere of the whole experience.
Old November 21 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
sonak
Vice Admiral

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Surak of Vulcan wrote: View Post
The (slow) Motion Picture felt much like an extended TOS episode script with updated special effects and everyone wearing pajamas. In fact, it seemed not too unlike 'The Changeling...'
Yeah, yeah, I know, those are all the basic complaints that everyone throws at The Motion Picture. The film has so much more than most people give it credit for. It's the film where Spock explicitly proclaims his deep bond for Kirk, his th'hy'la. You have to admit it's a powerful scene. There's gobs of character development and emotion between Kirk and Spock in that movie, to the extent that I can't even imagine why anyone would completely dismiss the film outright.

But, that's an argument for another topic (and it's an argument that's been argued to death). I think I just have to agree to disagree with the majority of fandom who explicitly dislikes TMP.
Chalk me up as a comrade in arms, Minuet! TMP is a magnificent cinematic achievement and remains my favourite of the eleven Star Trek movies. To this day, I still love firing up my home cinema system and immersing myself in the staggering visuals and incredible soundtrack - soaking up the wonderful atmosphere of the whole experience.

why not just listen to the soundtrack while watching one of those abstract art screensavers? You'd get the same effect.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 05:53 PM   #18
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Have to agree with the others, The Final Frontier and The Motion Picture may be considered the least of the movies but they are the most like the original series. I've even considered for a while the idea that TMP works better as a "series finale" for TOS, than it does as the first movie (TWOK does that spectacularly).

Coming after the more cinematic Genesis trilogy, TFF is a tonal shift (lurch?), but viewed within the gestalt of the franchise, it does indeed feel most like a TOS episode.
Old November 21 2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Gojira
Commodore

I found the TSFS and TFF to be the most like the TV show. Both underrated movies IMHO and a lot of fun to watch. Both had great character arcs and development.
Old November 21 2012, 06:10 PM   #20
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

sonak wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post

why not just listen to the soundtrack while watching one of those abstract art screensavers? You'd get the same effect.
YAWN. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Old November 21 2012, 08:18 PM   #21
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier has always felt the most like an episode of the series. It's very episodic, and despite the big themes, is mostly focused on Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Doesn't make it a great movie.
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Definitely the underrated STV. It had that warm crew = family vibe the TV series had.
Agree, TFF.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 05:16 AM   #22
Minuet
Lieutenant Commander

TFF really is underrated. Sybok is one of my favorite Trek villains of all time, probably second only to Khan, because he was ambiguous and fundamentally different than any other villain or even most villains of Sci-Fi. He was actually likeable. And Laurence Luckinbill is one hell of an actor.
Old November 23 2012, 06:14 AM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The later half of TWOK reminds me of Balance of Terror.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 03:02 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'm going with The Search for Spock.

Thematic similarities with Amok Time about friendship and sacrifice plus I think Christopher Lloyd is my third favorite Klingon behind Kang and Kor, an absolute scene-chewer in the best TOS tradition.
Old November 27 2012, 12:12 AM   #25
jayrath
Fleet Captain

I like TOS best when it offered strong morality tales. Yes, it often went over the top, but so many of the films never even bothered to try. (Anyone care to suss out a moral for NEM?) And so TVH and TUC, to me, are most like TOS.

TMP's moral was invented on the soundstage, tacked on to finish the script. WoK makes a good try at creating a message, though. I fear it was lost on me when I first saw it, in high school; in many ways, it's a film for those in mid-life and older.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 06:54 PM   #26
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

jayrath wrote: View Post
I like TOS best when it offered strong morality tales. Yes, it often went over the top, but so many of the films never even bothered to try. (Anyone care to suss out a moral for NEM?) And so TVH and TUC, to me, are most like TOS.
Huh? Nemesis is probably the most blatant one out of all the films; What makes you who you are, nature or nurture? And then it tries to answer that question with "neither", that's it's our choices that define us.

Whether you like the film or not, it definitely had a moral.
Andymator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 11:42 PM   #27
jayrath
Fleet Captain

You are right and I am wrong. Really.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 12:18 AM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

STTMP: Not much like TOS. Different look, a more mature outlook to AI, but also a less warm feel.

STII: Closer to the feel of TOS: Still, a "villain" centered story, there weren't too many villains in TOS..and in this case Khan was underwritten in the movie, but redeemed by a great performance. Space Seed was better written for Khan. It was more military and had more battles.

STIII: Nothing but "family", the crew is even more close at this point. The Klingons dont feel much like the 60s Klingons, but there is something of a tv episode intimacy in this movie.

STIV: A lack of a central villain, a slingshot around the sun, lots of humor like several popular episodes, and a message. This feels a lot like a big budget TOS episode!

STV: SHatner kept this one from feeling like a TOS episode. Illogical characters, humor at the characters expense, bad writing, poor planning...about the only thing that feels like TOS is the FX.

STVI: Meyer made this feel like his own, there are things Roddenberry never would have put in this movie.

RAMA
Old December 17 2012, 02:03 AM   #29
The Overlord
Captain

milo bloom wrote: View Post
Have to agree with the others, The Final Frontier and The Motion Picture may be considered the least of the movies but they are the most like the original series. I've even considered for a while the idea that TMP works better as a "series finale" for TOS, than it does as the first movie (TWOK does that spectacularly).

Coming after the more cinematic Genesis trilogy, TFF is a tonal shift (lurch?), but viewed within the gestalt of the franchise, it does indeed feel most like a TOS episode.
But there is a reason why a movie is a movie and a TV show is a TV show. A Star Trek movie shouldn't feel like an episode of TOS or TNG, it should feel like a movie, it should have a more grandiose plot then a TV episode. That was one of the criticisms of Star Trek Insurrection it felt like a an episode rather then a movie.

If TMP and TFF are similar to TOS episodes, they are similar to the bad episodes, not the good ones.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 06:22 AM   #30
Lord Garth
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
STTMP: Not much like TOS. Different look, a more mature outlook to AI, but also a less warm feel.

STII: Closer to the feel of TOS: Still, a "villain" centered story, there weren't too many villains in TOS..and in this case Khan was underwritten in the movie, but redeemed by a great performance. Space Seed was better written for Khan. It was more military and had more battles.

STIII: Nothing but "family", the crew is even more close at this point. The Klingons dont feel much like the 60s Klingons, but there is something of a tv episode intimacy in this movie.

STIV: A lack of a central villain, a slingshot around the sun, lots of humor like several popular episodes, and a message. This feels a lot like a big budget TOS episode!

STV: SHatner kept this one from feeling like a TOS episode. Illogical characters, humor at the characters expense, bad writing, poor planning...about the only thing that feels like TOS is the FX.

STVI: Meyer made this feel like his own, there are things Roddenberry never would have put in this movie.

RAMA
You know what? I'll go with this.

I never thought about it that way. Traditionally, I'd always gone with TFF by default because it has the status quo of the series and nothing changes. TVH does work better even if Spock's not himself.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote