Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 8 2012, 03:25 AM   #1
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

The Santa Clause Blu-Ray

I received my copies of The Santa Clause and Santa Claus 2 on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago, and I just watched them.

Unfortunately, it looks like Disney took the easy route and just reused the files that were made back in 2002 and 2003 for the DVD releases in those years, and just upressed the movies to 1080p, since the 2002 and 2003 DVD's look just as good, if not a little bit better being upressed to 1080p than the actual 1080p films.

Plus the bonus features are a major let down. On both discs there is nothing new (on the first movie the short The Night Before Christmas is a copy from the 2002 DVD, minus the "Santa's Helper" game that you had to beat to unlock it; and for the short Disney didn't bother to use the remastered Treasures version, so quality wise the Blu-Ray ends up with a cartoon that looks just a little bit better than VHS, because Disney used a tape master from the 1970's or 1980's).

The audio on the main movie, when compared to [i}Santa Clause 3[/i] is nothing spectacular, since while it is in DTS-HD (SC3 offerred the English audio in both DTS and LPCM 5.1) 5.1, it is the exact same mix, for both movies, as was used on the respective 2002 and 2003 DVD's.

If you like the Santa Clause movies and have been waiting since The Santa Clause 3 was released on Blu-Ray in 2007 too have a Blu-Ray version of the first two movies, then this is a really disappointing release, and I would recommend the DVD's over the Blu-Ray's.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: The Santa Clause Blu-Ray

They were probably saving up money so they could give 4 billion to that George Lucas guy

Seriously, I hate it when a blu-ray release is nothing special. No point in even doing it if it's only going to be up-converted SD quality. A process your player can do.

I've noticed a lot of blu-rays don't even have a booklet included.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Gaith
Rear Admiral

blu-ray.com gives the transfers high marks, and the screen caps look pretty good to moi...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 05:48 AM   #4
the G-man
Commodore

Guys, we're talking about "the Santa Clause" movies. I'd think a worn out VHS tape would be sufficient convey the quality of each.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The whole trilogy is out in one boxed set. I enjoyed these movies. Actually, I enjoyed 1 and 2. The third? Not so much.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

All TOS blurays still look like shit except for TWOK.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 11:36 PM   #7
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Bain wrote: View Post
The whole trilogy is out in one boxed set. I enjoyed these movies. Actually, I enjoyed 1 and 2. The third? Not so much.
Me too
The third one is indeed the weakest one
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 12:59 AM   #8
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
blu-ray.com gives the transfers high marks, and the screen caps look pretty good to moi...

Well they must be looking at Blu-Ray's that were mastered from different masters. I was expecting the picture to pop, and I remember what the picture for The Santa Clause 2 looked like in the theater, and unfortunately, it doesn't have that detail and sharpness that they theater had. At most, for these Blu-Ray releases, it looks like Disney might've used a 1080i broadcast master, instead of doing a transfer right from the negatives. And, really, a 1080i broadcast master is only comparable to 720p on Blu-Ray.
Old November 10 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
Don't know what Blu-ray's you're watching but the ones I own are all massive steps up from the DVD's.
Old November 10 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post

Well they must be looking at Blu-Ray's that were mastered from different masters. I was expecting the picture to pop, and I remember what the picture for The Santa Clause 2 looked like in the theater, and unfortunately, it doesn't have that detail and sharpness that they theater had. At most, for these Blu-Ray releases, it looks like Disney might've used a 1080i broadcast master, instead of doing a transfer right from the negatives. And, really, a 1080i broadcast master is only comparable to 720p on Blu-Ray.
So being able to watch a favorite movie of yours at any time, something pretty much no one could until the mid-80s, at this level of detail, which wasn't available just a few short years ago, at a cost of less than fifteen bucks isn't satisfactory?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 02:59 AM   #11
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

What is satisfactory when you watch something on one medium that is at the same level as an older, more decrepit medium, that is enlarged to the newer medium?

And on't forget, this is Disney we're talking about who will slap n "Digital Restoration" and "Digitally Remastered" in order to increase sales, but won't do that much unless it is one of their famous classic films.

Last edited by tomswift2002; November 11 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old November 12 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Don't know what Blu-ray's you're watching but the ones I own are all massive steps up from the DVD's.
Compared to the DVD versions, they look great. Compared to other blus, not so much.
Old November 26 2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I got the trilogy on blu-ray recently and yeah, they do have the look and feel of upscaled DVDs, but I'm not bothered by it.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote