Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 19 2012, 02:46 AM   #1
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Tasha Yar novels

I'm just trying to figure out which novels Tasha Yar appears in as a character (not just in flashbacks).

I know that she appears in the first 4 numbered TNG, then #51, the first book in the Double Helix series.

Does she appear in any other books?
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 03:43 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Tasha Yar novels

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Does she appear in any other books?
Of course! How about "The Buried Age" and novelizations of "Encounter at Farpoint" and "All Good Things..."?

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Natasha_Yar
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 06:08 AM   #3
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I read about one in Memory-Beta that ivolved some freelance mercs with ethics. Anybody has any idea what i am talking about?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I read about one in Memory-Beta that ivolved some freelance mercs with ethics. Anybody has any idea what i am talking about?
Sure. Use the "Find" facility on the MB page. "On a mission to the planet Treva, Yar was kidnapped by followers of Darryl Adin, who was now a mercenary and freelance freedom fighter aiding the rebels on that world" ["Survivors"].

Adin returns in "Metamorphosis", but Tasha is dead by then.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I wasn't sure if it was in the Yar bio or not.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
zarkon
Captain

She's kind of in Q-Squared. Don't really want to spoil the "kind of" if you haven't read it yet.
Old August 19 2012, 10:45 AM   #7
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Old August 19 2012, 09:28 PM   #8
JD
Admiral

^ She is in it then. I thought I remembered her being in it, but I wasn't confident enough to post about it.
Old August 20 2012, 02:06 AM   #9
WarsTrek1993
Captain

If I remember right, Jim Johnson's "A Terrible Beauty" from the Shards and Shadows anthology featured (albeit briefly) Tasha Yar from the mirror universe.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Use of Time
Commodore

I think all of the novels have been covered but out of all of those I think that Survivors is the book where she is the main character throughout.
Old August 20 2012, 02:25 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
If I remember right, Jim Johnson's "A Terrible Beauty" from the Shards and Shadows anthology featured (albeit briefly) Tasha Yar from the mirror universe.
Briefly but pretty damn memorably.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 10:55 AM   #12
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Tasha crops up briefly in Vulcan's Heart, among the Enterprise-C survivors.
Old August 22 2012, 12:11 AM   #13
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I read Q-Squared about ten years ago, so I vaugely remember Tasha being in there.

And I did not forget about the novelizations, but I didn't mention them since I was thinking of original fiction with the Tasha from Season 1, and I realize that there isn't that much time for her since she was only on the show for 23 episodes, unlike the others where they

I do have The Buried Age, but I just haven't had a chance to read it yet. And I know that she definitely is not in #8 The Captain's Honor, since that book takes place just before or after The Neutral Zone.

I was also trying to think of any other books where we saw Yar at the Academy, besides in Survivors the few flashback scenes.
Old August 22 2012, 01:08 AM   #14
Astraea
Commander

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I read Q-Squared about ten years ago, so I vaugely remember Tasha being in there.

And I did not forget about the novelizations, but I didn't mention them since I was thinking of original fiction with the Tasha from Season 1, and I realize that there isn't that much time for her since she was only on the show for 23 episodes, unlike the others where they

I do have The Buried Age, but I just haven't had a chance to read it yet. And I know that she definitely is not in #8 The Captain's Honor, since that book takes place just before or after The Neutral Zone.

I was also trying to think of any other books where we saw Yar at the Academy, besides in Survivors the few flashback scenes.
Survivors (#4) is the last numbered novel to take place before Skin of Evil, so that's the last of the early numbered novels with Tasha in it. (Wikipedia has a timeline for all the novel series, and someone else has a more comprehensive timeline.)

I could be wrong, but I can't recall any other Academy-Yar stuff besides Survivors; even the numbered children's books never featured her, AFAIK.
Old August 23 2012, 01:14 AM   #15
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Astraea wrote: View Post

Survivors (#4) is the last numbered novel to take place before Skin of Evil, so that's the last of the early numbered novels with Tasha in it. (Wikipedia has a timeline for all the novel series, and someone else has a more comprehensive timeline.)

I could be wrong, but I can't recall any other Academy-Yar stuff besides Survivors; even the numbered children's books never featured her, AFAIK.
#51 (book 1 of the Double Helix saga) of the TNG line has her in the story, since it's set around 'Code Of Honor'.

But with the Academy series it's surprising that Wesley was never in the series, since Wesley would've been a natural for the series (he left in Season 4 and then returned in Season 5 for an episode that came out close to the release of the Academy series).