Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 18 2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: What if the U.S. govn't permanently got rid of the U.S. Post Servi

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If the USPS stopped receiving any federal money
The USPS does not receive federal funding, though it has borrowed $15 billion from Department of the Treasury.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If the USPS stopped receiving any federal money, does anyone know about how much postage would have to be for the post office to continue?

Operating costs, benefits, pensions, etc.?
With the exception of loans and some small subsidies to help pay for disabled services and overseas shipping (regular companies get loans and subsidies too), the USPS is a financially independent agency and doesn't get any money from taxpayers. So, the USPS not receiving federal money is a moot point.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
If run like a real business, rather than a government agency, it would no doubt be more efficient & cost effective.

Unfortunately, "more efficient" translates into crappy customer service, which is actually not much different than a government agency.
It is run like a real business, just a much more extremely regulated one, for good reason. And like you say, you wouldn't want it to be deregulated because by law the USPS is required to provide uniform pricing and availability of services regardless of location. If it were run like FedEx or UPS, people in Bumfuck, Alaska or Guam couldn't send a letter with a .46 cent stamp just like people anywhere else in the country and wouldn't have access to all the same USPS services.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 12:12 AM   #18
SeerSGB
Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
^Many of my job applications had to be mailed in, including resumes. Some of the potential employers wanted a hardcopy...
sojourner wrote: View Post
Finn wrote: View Post
^Many of my job applications had to be mailed in, including resumes. Some of the potential employers wanted a hardcopy...
That seems down right antiquated. Some peculiarity of the industry you work in?
I applied for some jobs over the past few weeks: retail, a couple of "cyber commute/work at home", and one out of state. With the exception of the retail job, all of them wanted me to mail in a hardcopy resume when we got to the point of talking background checks.

wissaboo wrote: View Post
the postal services are going broke because people don't need them anymore. So not much would happen.

Canada post went on strike last year. No one noticed.
Well UPS and FedEx will cash in big that's for sure. Places like Mailbox Etc. and UPS Stores will take off and you might see more competition in those. I have a UPS box at the local business-center: Fax number, 24/7 mail pick up, and I can get a "apt. style" mailing address for just over $20 a year. I pay less in shipping and I don't have to worry about it packages getting chucked in the drive-way when I'm not at home--I'm looking at your postal carrier that decided that just tossing a Amazon order of DVD's in a rain-soaked driveway two summers ago was a good ideal.
Old November 19 2012, 12:19 AM   #19
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

^ Eh, I think that just comes down to the laziness of the delivery person rather than any systemic problem. I've had UPS or FedEx deliveries where they just tossed a piece of delicate computer hardware over the fence of my back patio while I was home to answer the door or left a package sitting out in the open without making sure someone was home to receive it first.
Old November 19 2012, 12:25 AM   #20
SeerSGB
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
^ Eh, I think that just comes down to the laziness of the delivery person rather than any systemic problem. I've had UPS or FedEx deliveries where they just tossed a piece of delicate computer hardware over the fence of my back patio while I was home to answer the door or left a package sitting out in the open without making sure someone was home to receive it first.
Would be less annoyed with it, if after I reported it to the post office the carrier hadn't acted like a child and for the better part of a week just tossed my mail in the ditch at the box. And when I reported that, with pictures, the supervisor said I was making up stuff to get the woman fired and that he believed the carrier. I moved my mail to a UPS box and haven't had to deal with her since.

Last edited by SeerSGB; November 19 2012 at 01:13 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 12:29 AM   #21
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Keep in mind that both UPS and FedEx rely on the US Postal Service to supplement their own services because things can often be shipped more cost-effectively that way - especially in rural areas with less infrastructure. If the post office went away, those companies would start to suffer too because they would have difficulty picking up the slack
Old November 19 2012, 01:41 AM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Like this?

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 01:55 AM   #23
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Pretty much, except in that case the whole property is fenced in, so he might not have had a choice. In my case I was sitting on my couch when all of a sudden I see a box come flying over my back fence and bounce off the concrete. If he or she had just come around and knocked on the front door I would have answered, since I had tracked the package and was expecting the delivery within the time window. I guess they must have been delivering something to another condo behind mine and just decided to kill two birds with one stone, because otherwise it wouldn't have made any sense to go around back when the street is closer to my front door.
Old November 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #24
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Keep in mind that both UPS and FedEx rely on the US Postal Service to supplement their own services because things can often be shipped more cost-effectively that way - especially in rural areas with less infrastructure. If the post office went away, those companies would start to suffer too because they would have difficulty picking up the slack
Yes... I lived in a pretty rural area in Virginia-- only about a mile from the Post Office. Yet a couple of times I got a message that a package was waiting for me at the Post Office because FedEx had attempted delivery, but no one was home. This is pure crap, because I work at home and my office was in the room closest to the driveway-- no way would I have missed the truck. Also, I get annoyed when UPS delivers something valuable and the driver slows the truck down just enough so he can lob the package onto the porch (OK, that is a joke, BUT the UPS drivers do seem to just run up and drop the package on the steps and run. Never mind if it is bad weather. "Neither rain nor show nor dark of night shall prevent UPS from leaving your package out where it may get ruined or stolen.")

Once again, the Postal Service's financial situation would be much better if Congress hadn't put the requirement on them to pay for 70 years of employee benefits in 10 years. Those in COngress who think everything should be privatized are doing their best to make the Postal Service look bad and kill it off. I also suspect that -like in other situations where a business goes under- all the money going into this fund would get raided and the current employees would lose out on what they had paid in.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 03:07 PM   #25
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Like this?

If you ever saw the way the stores get them you'd know that the fall did nothing to that tv.
Old November 19 2012, 03:37 PM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

IIRC there was a big scandal that blew open a couple years back over how the USPS conducts business. One of the biggest problems was that they apparently bought multi-million dollar mansions and other extravagant properties to cover "employee relocation" from one region to another. The employees were basically renting the properties that were owned by the USPS. Around the time that story blew up, the Postmaster General (who, at the time, was earning around $500K annually) was in the process of selling off all those properties to A) get some money back into the USPS and b) get rid of the properties before some nosy investigative reporter blew the lid off the practice. Too late! Thing blew wide open, but I don't think much of anything really came of it. Quietly went away. All before, during and after this time, they continued to raise postage prices on a yearly basis, claiming lack of funds.
Old November 19 2012, 05:52 PM   #27
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
IIRC there was a big scandal that blew open a couple years back over how the USPS conducts business. One of the biggest problems was that they apparently bought multi-million dollar mansions and other extravagant properties to cover "employee relocation" from one region to another. The employees were basically renting the properties that were owned by the USPS. Around the time that story blew up, the Postmaster General (who, at the time, was earning around $500K annually) was in the process of selling off all those properties to A) get some money back into the USPS and b) get rid of the properties before some nosy investigative reporter blew the lid off the practice. Too late! Thing blew wide open, but I don't think much of anything really came of it. Quietly went away. All before, during and after this time, they continued to raise postage prices on a yearly basis, claiming lack of funds.
Reminds me of all those banks (Fannie May/Freddie Mac and especially AIG) in 2008 which did the same thing. Personally, if they go under, it's their fault.

As for what would happen if the USPS does go under, I think it would go to Fed-Ex or UPS for just common mail service. I do think the USPS won't go under, but we will see cutbacks to when the mail is delivered, probably to the weekdays or even 4 days a week.
Old November 19 2012, 06:27 PM   #28
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Sad thing is, the rank-and-file postal workers are the ones who will suffer the most if financial reductions occur. The leadership elite will continue to exist as it had before, which was the source of all the problems and corruption in the first place, just like like corporations you mentioned, tomalak. They'll just have more money to play with and pass around between themselves and their cronies, only to be placed in similar financial jeopardy probably 10 years further down the line. Problem is, the next time that rolls around, there won't be anyone left to cut and then it WILL be fully replaced by other private entities.
Old November 20 2012, 06:13 AM   #29
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

When we discussed the US Post Office nearly a year ago I suggested that the management should look at Australia Post which is running at a profit. In that post I mentioned the figures for the 2010/2011 financial year

Last year Australian Post ran its letter carrier service at a 91 million lost but still manged to make more than 200 million dollars profit through its other services i.e delivering parcels, bill payment transactions, banking transactions and passport applications etc
I have just looked at the 2011/2012 figures

Group profit of $281 million and strong profit growth of 16.6 per cent - the second year of profit growth under the current "Future Ready" strategy.
Regulated mail business losses widen to $148 million on the back of mail volume and revenue declines.
Strong performance in parcels and retail produces profit of $546 million in the non-regulated business, on the back of 8.5 per cent revenue growth.
SOURCE

In the previous thread I pointed out some of the difference in how Australia Post works when compared to US Post Services

US Post delivers 6 days a week, Australian Post only Monday to Fridays.

The majority of letters and small parcels in Australia are delivered by a postman on a motorbike. Larger parcels are delivered by a van.

The postman only delivers mail, he doesn't pick up mail at all.

The majority of 'post offices' are found in newsagencies and are run by the newsagent as an agent.

Standalone post offices (post shops) are often found in shopping centres or malls.

Post shops don't just sell postal related items but many other things such as printers, toys, computer games etc
and here are two photos of Australian Post Shops which I have previously posted

Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:20 AM   #30
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Australia has a smaller population than the state of Texas and doesn't have to provide identical services/prices six days a week (mandated by law) to 313 million people in states and territories halfway around the globe. It's not exactly a comparable situation.

Reducing deliveries to five days a week is one of many considerations for cost-cutting, but it's not preferable for businesses that depend on the postal service.

The US mail truck fleet is vast (the largest vehicle fleet in the world), relatively fuel efficient (most are light vehicles), carries larger loads for delivery to large rural areas and heavily populated urban areas alike, and provides protection in a wide variety of climate while using common parts. I don't see how replacing it with a bunch of motorcycles (which aren't as safe or efficient in terms of how much they can carry/how wide their range is before having to return to the distributor) would be of much benefit.

Picking up mail is often a necessary service for the poor, disabled, and rural who can't always easily reach a post office.

Our post offices can also found in shopping centers, malls, grocery stores, department stores, mail stores, office supply stores, etc.

Many post offices do sell stationary, gifts, and unrelated items in internal shops.

The reason for the post office's financial troubles is not the services they offer or their infrastructure, which was self-sufficient and profitable until the recession and the following budget requirements imposed by Congress:

Of related significance is the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA), which obligates the USPS to prefund 75 years' worth of future health care benefit payments to retirees within a ten-year time span – a requirement to which no other government organization is subject. Thus, in addition to the weak economy and the diversion of mail to electronic means, the mandates of PAEA have had a considerable impact on Postal Service finances. As a consequence, it has been charged that the US Postal Service budget crisis of 2011 is, in essence, an artificial one.

Even with all that, they still don't take taxpayer funds, with the exception of small subsidies and a loan they need to repay just like any other business would.