TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 18 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Ro_Laren
Commodore

What if the U.S. govn't permanently got rid of the U.S. Post Service?

I read on-line that, "The struggling U.S. Postal Service on Thursday reported an annual loss of a record $15.9 billion and forecast more red ink in 2013." What do you think would happen if the U.S. govn't permanently got rid of the U.S. Post Service?
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: What if the U.S. govn't permanently got rid of the U.S. Post Servi

The presidents of UPS and FedEx would spray their shorts?
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I don't see the USPS going away entirely. I do, however, think it may cut back delivery to weekdays only, or even every other weekday. That would help people who can't afford to go paperless (i.e. they don't have Internet access).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Stephen!
Captain

Are the majority of Job applications in America done online then, rather than the traditional resume/cover letter sent via post?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Are the majority of Job applications in America done online then, rather than the traditional resume/cover letter sent via post?
No one mails in resumes. You do them online or just go in person.
Old November 18 2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Many of my job applications had to be mailed in, including resumes. Some of the potential employers wanted a hardcopy...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Robert D. Robot
Captain

I think UPS, FedEx, Walmart (Yes... they are rumored to be interested handling mail, at least in serving as "post offices") would quickly jump in to fill the void of a collapse of the Postal Service that some members of Congress have put into play (and don't think there would be kickbacks for them!).

The Postal Service has been charged with creating and putting aside money to fund the projected benefits of their employees over the next 70 years. And they've been forced to do this in 10 years. What business do you know that could operate this way and stay afloat? No wonder they are "losing money". Some congress members want to force the Postal Service out of business so that the business be taken over by private business people.

In that case, all you folks in rural areas can look forward to your rates going up to cover the additional effort needed to get the mail out and around to you. Ben Franklin set up the Post Office and I think it should stay working as it does, but with having this crippling financial burden weighing it down.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Walmart? Yeesh. If they end up taking over the postal service, I fear for what might happen...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 18 2012, 06:49 PM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I'd have to check, but doesn't the constitution require the federal government to have a post office? This could be changed with some difficulty.

Story goes that years ago FedX and UPS were interesrtted in taking over letter delivery, basically each handling half the country and interfacing with each other. At some point they were told they would have to assume the pension and benefits for the USPS employees, that broke the deal.

Why destroy your company from day one?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I'd have to check, but doesn't the constitution require the federal government to have a post office?
The Postal Clause doesn't require the government to have a post office, just authorizes it to create one.
Old November 18 2012, 06:56 PM   #11
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

the postal services are going broke because people don't need them anymore. So not much would happen.

Canada post went on strike last year. No one noticed.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 07:10 PM   #12
sojourner
Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
^Many of my job applications had to be mailed in, including resumes. Some of the potential employers wanted a hardcopy...
That seems down right antiquated. Some peculiarity of the industry you work in?
Old November 18 2012, 07:16 PM   #13
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

If the USPS stopped receiving any federal money, does anyone know about how much postage would have to be for the post office to continue?

Operating costs, benefits, pensions, etc.?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Finn
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Finn wrote: View Post
That seems down right antiquated. Some peculiarity of the industry you work in?
Education....

Probably because emails can be missed if they get a lot of emails, and faxes can get lost easily.

It probably depends on the school system and how they process applications. Most schools require applicants go through the state (or county or city) system while others can be filled out on the computer and emailed over. Some prefer to have it mailed over. It may also depend on the person processing the applications. They may be terrible with emails and prefer to have the applications in packets in his or her mailbox at the office.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If the USPS stopped receiving any federal money, does anyone know about how much postage would have to be for the post office to continue?

Operating costs, benefits, pensions, etc.?

If run like a real business, rather than a government agency, it would no doubt be more efficient & cost effective.

Unfortunately, "more efficient" translates into crappy customer service, which is actually not much different than a government agency.

As bad a rep as the USPS gets, and sometimes deserves, I can't imagine not having it for residential deliveries, especially living in an apartment building.

Both UPS & FedEx commonly leave parcels in the hallway, without ever ringing the buzzer or knocking on the door.

They manage to get in the building by way of someone else, I imagine.

And as nice as this complex is, there's always some piece of s4it that will help themselves to anything left in the hallway.
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote