Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 23 2012, 09:59 PM   #91
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

SpockUhurafan wrote:
The problem is, some of this "stuff" isn't that hard to read into. It's processing direct quotes. Everyone does that differently, and some don't do that at all, but most people do. When an actor says things like "... I don't feel particularly attached to what the outcome of that project will be," even if he starts out saying that he's "fulfilled," it just sounds a little lackluster. This is not seeing Zachary with a green bloodstain in a leaked behind-the-scenes set picture and then assuming something about it. It's a direct quote.
I think you're changing the quote with your interpretation. I do not remember that being the meaning of that quote. Can you quote it exactly

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:00 PM   #92
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

@ KingDaniel - Now you know she meant beard.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
<snip> I'd prefer that the actors at least seem optimistic that people might like these films, instead of the subtle hints and clues that the film is bad and making it was an unpleasant process. <snip>
serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I don't know what is up with Quinto but it seems like he is not just happy.
Maybe it's that I just wasn't paying attention at the right time, but I confess I really have no idea what either of you are talking about here. Do we have links to anything where Quinto or any other cast members have expressed unhappiness with any aspect of the production or production process?
Hence my quote here:

... It's processing direct quotes. Everyone does that differently, and some don't do that at all, but most people do...
I think I elaborated a bit after that. The bolded part is not meant as an offense. I have a friend that says she never reads any kind of emotion from emails (or most anything written) because to her that is not possible. "It's just words," she says, and very technically speaking, she's right.

I like Chris, and I'm glad that he clarified in a more recent interview that JJ and co. aren't having any fun with the secrecy.
I'm not so sure Orci wouldn't mind having a little fun with the secrecy angle, but Abrams is pretty serious about not giving much away ahead of time; mystery is a big thing for him. Have you seen this yet?
I have not, but I will give it a look and report back. Thanks.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 10:08 PM   #93
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
SpockUhurafan wrote:
The problem is, some of this "stuff" isn't that hard to read into. It's processing direct quotes. Everyone does that differently, and some don't do that at all, but most people do. When an actor says things like "... I don't feel particularly attached to what the outcome of that project will be," even if he starts out saying that he's "fulfilled," it just sounds a little lackluster. This is not seeing Zachary with a green bloodstain in a leaked behind-the-scenes set picture and then assuming something about it. It's a direct quote.
I think you're changing the quote with your interpretation. I do not remember that being the meaning of that quote. Can you quote it exactly
Here's the link to the video interview snippet:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...r-bolder-54826

This particular interview caused some people to think he was "distancing" himself from the film. At the time, I brushed it off and said that he was mistaken. But, I can and could definitely see how someone could see it that way. That was my point. Words, tone, shrugs/body language all add up for people in varying ways.

Now, I have to go. Will be back.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 23 2012, 10:28 PM   #94
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

SpockUhurafan wrote:

This particular interview caused some people to think he was "distancing" himself from the film. At the time, I brushed it off and said that he was mistaken. But, I can and could definitely see how someone could see it that way. That was my point. Words, tone, shrugs/body language all add up for people in varying ways.

Yea, see I don't interpret it that way at all. He compliments the film, saying it's bigger and bolder, and his part is done. Since it's a collaboration of folks he has faith in, the final product will come from them. I don't see him distancing himself at all, only an acknowledgement that his acting is only a piece of it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 11:11 PM   #95
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's always bigger and bolder.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2012, 11:32 PM   #96
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Yea, see I don't interpret it that way at all. He compliments the film, saying it's bigger and bolder, and his part is done. Since it's a collaboration of folks he has faith in, the final product will come from them. I don't see him distancing himself at all, only an acknowledgement that his acting is only a piece of it.
Looked much the same to me. I'm certainly not getting any sense that it was a negative experience for him; quite the opposite - he seemed to feel pretty good about it. However, his part in making it is finished. He's done - at least until J.J. and the post-production crew finish doing what they do and it's time to go out and do promotion tours for the movie.

That's just the way it is being an actor: you do your bit and (if you're lucky enough to work steadily) you move on to the next job, trusting that the end product will be good. It's not that he was distancing himself from the project or thought it was bad; it's just that he has no control over the part which happens after the filming wraps, so he's concentrating on his other projects instead of wasting a lot of time, energy, focus, etc. on something which is now out of his hands. That's showbiz.
Old November 24 2012, 12:24 AM   #97
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

So that's it, the same guff about one Quinto interview that magically morphs into a rumor

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2012, 12:29 AM   #98
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Exactly. He might just be focusing on his current project right now. Or be Trekked-out at the moment.

Usually, by the time I finish writing a book, in any series, I never want to look at it again!

Doesn't mean I don't want to write another Star Trek book someday. Just means I want to take a break and do something different first.
Old November 24 2012, 01:41 AM   #99
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

... but Abrams is pretty serious about not giving much away ahead of time; mystery is a big thing for him. Have you seen this yet?
Okay, I just saw this and it was very nice. There are 2 things JJ said about the mystery box that I think are pertinent to this discussion, and the other various discussions/articles that have been posted around about Zachary's "misunderstood" quote. He said that the mystery box represented hope and possibility (to him). If we see this film as a "mystery box," then that means that anyone interested in seeing it has their own hopes about what is possible.

My point was that, for some or many people, an "ending eras of association" comment in an interview when referencing a new Spock we've only seen once, crushes that box a little. Now, you've got some people that think it's funny, and some people who think it's nothing, but you've also got other people who think it's not funny and it's not nothing, and the headlines and discussions that have followed reflect that. That is all.

And that is also why I brushed off the concern some people had about him distancing himself, but I can still understand why they thought what they thought. See my comment above.

[Yea, see I don't interpret it that way at all...
Looked much the same to me. I'm certainly not getting any sense that it was a negative experience for him; quite the opposite - he seemed to feel pretty good about it. However, his part in making it is finished. He's done - at least until J.J. and the post-production crew finish doing what they do and it's time to go out and do promotion tours for the movie.

That's just the way it is being an actor: you do your bit and (if you're lucky enough to work steadily) you move on to the next job, trusting that the end product will be good. It's not that he was distancing himself from the project or thought it was bad; it's just that he has no control over the part which happens after the filming wraps, so he's concentrating on his other projects instead of wasting a lot of time, energy, focus, etc. on something which is now out of his hands.
This is a very nice statement, and I cannot disagree with it at all.

He can quite obviously say whatever he wants to say, and people will take it how they take it, good, bad, or neutral. Although, if he is focusing on other projects, like his role on AHS, then in interviews about those projects, perhaps it's best to just not say anything (like some people here seem to think is happening when he actually says something) and keep the mystery in the box.

For me, it doesn't matter either way. My plans have not changed. I'll ask a couple of people that I know are going to see the film my 2 questions, and depending on the answers, I'll either go see the film or perhaps maybe catch it when it comes out on HBO or something. No big deal.

That's showbiz.
So is perception, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Old November 24 2012, 01:46 AM   #100
teacake
Admiral

changed. I'll ask a couple of people that I know are going to see the film my 2 questions, and depending on the answers, I'll either go see the film or perhaps maybe catch it when it comes out on HBO or something. No big deal.
What are your two questions?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 24 2012, 01:48 AM   #101
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
changed. I'll ask a couple of people that I know are going to see the film my 2 questions, and depending on the answers, I'll either go see the film or perhaps maybe catch it when it comes out on HBO or something. No big deal.
What are your two questions?
1. Was it any good?

2. Do Spock and Uhura stay together?

Old November 24 2012, 02:19 AM   #102
teacake
Admiral

So what if it is great and they break up?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 24 2012, 03:00 AM   #103
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

What would you call great?

Old November 24 2012, 06:24 AM   #104
teacake
Admiral

If someone answers your questions with yes, it was a great movie and yes they break up. You said you were going to ask people who had seen it.

What I would call great is probably very generous. I'm not expecting this movie to have the emotional impact that ST:XI had for me because that was right up there with ANH, blowing my mind and rewriting my love glands. That doesn't happen every decade. But I am still ever ready to call stuff great because I have a huge enjoyment of this universe.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 24 2012, 11:19 AM   #105
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

I interpreted it in the same way.

As for Quinto not sounding too enthusiastic about the movie, I think that part of the reason is JJ's secrecy and the fact that the actors can't really talk about what's gonna happen in the movie.
Pine is repeating the same things over and over talking about the safe plot (BC being the villain is not spoiler) but in the end he is saying nothing, he sounds like someone who is desperately trying to find something to talk about when asked about the movie.
It must be really frustrating for them all especially for someone like Zachary Quinto who usually likes to talk about his characters in detail. I mean, the interviews are already boring and repetitive for them, imagine not having something to actually talk about. Perhaps, they shouldn't keep asking them the same questions well knowing that they can't answer, for now.

When they talk about the movie being "bolder" I too tend to think about one of the main cast dying -- and the dress uniforms really do seem like something they'd wear for a funeral --
In the set pictures we saw Spock, Kirk, Chekov and Scotty wearing that uniform though, so we could exclude these characters.
Theoretically, anyone could die here including Spock but:
Spock already died in the prime universe. If the writers really want to make something different and their own star trek, re-making the same storyline would be a big risk.
Also, after all the talk about the Kirk/Spock's friendship, killing one of them now would be stupid. They aren't even friends, yet.

They could kill off Uhura and give Spock manpain but:
- she's the only main female character and she's a woman of color, THIS woman of color in particular with everything her character had represented in the original series and the time when it was made. They could kill her yes, but it could be perceived as gross and sexist to kill her especially after all the talk about her getting more space than TOS Uhura.
- Enough with Spock drama. His mother died in the first movie and his home planet got destroyed. You kill his girlfriend too, now? What's next? His suicide? And It's not like his character isn't already complex, you don't need to kill his whole family and friends to give him "manpain". The poor man is drama with legs.

There are other characters there, and perhaps it's time to give some dramatic plot to the others too (if it is really necessary).