RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,226
Posts: 5,405,658
Members: 24,764
Currently online: 514
Newest member: beakel001

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 19 2012, 03:00 PM   #46
newtontomato539
Commander
 
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Oh goody, he's a pet because he's short.

Sizism.

Maybe Scotty and he will became lovers tm. Yay!

Maybe Quinto will write, "Cummberbund still isn't Khan".
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 03:19 PM   #47
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

^ Who said he's a pet because he's short? You're the first person the bring size into the equation. So, perhaps you could try rereading the thread.

About size: It's not the height that matters; it's what you do with it.

One of my favorite characters on Game of Thrones is only 4'5". No one would mistake him for a pet because that's not how he's written, shown, or treated by anyone he interacts with. And even when someone has tried to put him down, he's sharp witted enough to rise above it and make them wish they hadn't.

__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

StarMan wrote: View Post
Coming soon: "I Am Also Not Spock".
And then much later, wen he gets older, he can release a follow up book "I Am Also Spock (Afterall)"
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:26 PM   #49
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
^ Who said he's a pet because he's short? You're the first person the bring size into the equation. So, perhaps you could try rereading the thread.
To be perfectly fair, "cutesy little useless pet critter" kinda does hint that size might be part of the equation for some. Anyway, the notion of Keenser as a pet has been coming up since the movie first came out, and probably won't be going away any time soon, no matter how many times his friendship and working relationship with Scotty is pointed out.
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:53 PM   #50
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
^ Who said he's a pet because he's short? You're the first person the bring size into the equation. So, perhaps you could try rereading the thread.
To be perfectly fair, "cutesy little useless pet critter" kinda does hint that size might be part of the equation for some. Anyway, the notion of Keenser as a pet has been coming up since the movie first came out, and probably won't be going away any time soon, no matter how many times his friendship and working relationship with Scotty is pointed out.
And, why is that? I think you highlighted the wrong words, to be honest. What jumps out at me is this:

"cutesy little useless pet critter"
That's what made him seem more like a pet than anything else. For me, his size had nothing to do with it. I've seen people with dogs so big (just as an example) that the dog seemed to be walking them instead of the other way around. Still, I knew which one was the pet.

This is also why I would like to know what Keenser's job is, so he doesn't seem useless. Most of the movie, he's either just sitting or standing there. For a Starfleet officer that has some sort of job to do, that's interesting. I mean, Scotty just fell into place, which is odd now that I think of it. He seemed to be the chief engineer before they got back to Earth. How did that happen? Did the other guy die like the head doctor did? Anyway, Scotty was able to just walk in and take over. But what of his friend/companion? What did he do, and who did he really interact with that had any kind of impact on the story? That is more the issue, rather than size, at least in my book.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:55 PM   #51
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Interestingly enough, the recent comic from IDW which develops Keenser's backstory, revealed that back on Delta Vega it was in fact Keenser who outranked Scotty. Scotty has to report to Keenser upon arriving.

For some reason, upon getting onboard the Enterprise, Scotty is promoted over Keenser, but I guess that's not as bad as Kirk jumping from cadet to Captain...
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:57 PM   #52
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
He seemed to be the chief engineer before they got back to Earth. How did that happen? Did the other guy die like the head doctor did?
Yes, the Enterprise's chief engineer was the guy who opened his chute too late and ended up flying into the Romulan drill over Vulcan.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:03 PM   #53
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough, the recent comic from IDW which develops Keenser's backstory, revealed that back on Delta Vega it was in fact Keenser who outranked Scotty. Scotty has to report to Keenser upon arriving.
Which makes the fact that he really had no speaking interaction with Spock Prime or Kirk when they arrived all the more perplexing.

For some reason, upon getting onboard the Enterprise, Scotty is promoted over Keenser, but I guess that's not as bad as Kirk jumping from cadet to Captain...
And it would be nice to know what that reason was, but I suppose that it wasn't important enough to include. And you're right, neither McCoy's nor Scotty's promotions were as bad... McCoy's made the most sense and calls for the least amount of question, if any at all.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
He seemed to be the chief engineer before they got back to Earth. How did that happen? Did the other guy die like the head doctor did?
Yes, the Enterprise's chief engineer was the guy who opened his chute too late and ended up flying into the Romulan drill over Vulcan.
So, an opening was made for Scotty, which makes sense, but I'd think the other guy, Keenser, could have done more than just sit there, then.
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:06 PM   #54
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough, the recent comic from IDW which develops Keenser's backstory, revealed that back on Delta Vega it was in fact Keenser who outranked Scotty. Scotty has to report to Keenser upon arriving.
Which makes the fact that he really had no speaking interaction with Spock Prime or Kirk when they arrived all the more perplexing.
Well, the comic also establishes that Keenser just isn't a talkative guy. Even among his own people he didn't really say much.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:19 PM   #55
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Sky wrote: View Post
Gaaaah. You mean the cutesy little useless pet critter appears in the new movie?
Oh, come on now. He was okay.
Seriously, does anyone know if Deep Roy is back in Into Darkness? I haven't spotted him on IMDB's cast page. Cupcake definitely returns, Keenser should too!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:21 PM   #56
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain
 
Spock/Uhura Fan's Avatar
 
Location: Where It's At.
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough, the recent comic from IDW which develops Keenser's backstory, revealed that back on Delta Vega it was in fact Keenser who outranked Scotty. Scotty has to report to Keenser upon arriving.
Which makes the fact that he really had no speaking interaction with Spock Prime or Kirk when they arrived all the more perplexing.
Well, the comic also establishes that Keenser just isn't a talkative guy. Even among his own people he didn't really say much.
That's good to know, but the movie could have established at least that. You know, like, Kirk tries to say hello to him once they've been let out of the cold, maybe even holds out a hand for a handshake, and the Roylan just looks at him. Then, Scotty could have said something like, "Oh, that's Lieutenant Keenser. Don't be offended. He doesn't say much on a good day. Me, on the other hand, I love a good chat. Imagine what it was like when I first came here and he was my only company." And at that, Keenser could have given him a look.

That right there (or something close) would have taken care of things, at least for me...
__________________
MA'AM. Hot damn, I can dig it.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:28 PM   #57
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

I never understood an actor turning down star roles because they don't want to be associated with "just" that character.

Toby Maguire pulled the same stunt with Spider-man and hasn't had a big role since, and the franchise moved on without him with another reboot.

Really seems to be just shooting yourself in the foot.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:35 PM   #58
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Speaking of Keenser/Deep Roy, I just realized he played Mr. Sin in the Classis Doctor Who Serial The Talons of Weng Chieng. All these years, I had no idea that Keenser, The Oompa Loompas and Mr Sin were all played by the same person

I seriously doubt Spock will be permanently killed off in Into Darkness or rceast for the third film. I believe he's a crucial part of the Trilogy and "Conventional Studio thinking" would cringe at the idea, IMHO.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; November 19 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 06:45 PM   #59
newtontomato539
Commander
 
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

He played Mr Sin!? He played hi to perfection. :Chills:
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 09:42 PM   #60
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Well, the comic also establishes that Keenser just isn't a talkative guy. Even among his own people he didn't really say much.
Indeed.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.