IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Episode Grading
A 6 54.55%
B 5 45.45%
C 0 0%
D 0 0%
E 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
MLP:FiM 3x03 "Too Many Pinkie Pies"

Well now the episode has aired how did everyone find the first regular episode of the season?

I left the thread until it aired as iTunes US derped and showed the episode early, wanted everyone to be able to see it first.
Old November 17 2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: MLP:FiM 3x03 "Too Many Pinkie Pies"

B.

Pretty good, but not great. I liked the premise and it it had a lot of good gags, plus it made use of the ensemble, which I like. But it felt a little odd compared to the usual slice-of-life episodes. Not sure if that's a result of having a new story editor or a result of this episode being written by Dave Polsky, who was responsible for two of my least favorite episodes in "Feeling Pinkie Keen" and "Over a Barrel."

On the other hand, I think I need to see it without commercials. Those always hurt a story's momentum.

Looks like they altered the G3 Pinkie face gag for the commercials -- in the episode she's doing it to one of her clones, not Fluttershy and Rarity. Odd.
Old November 17 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I liked it, nice character depth and growth from Pinkie to some degree, all the little continuity nods like the Daring Do book, the bear, a reference to her grandmother, etc

But it was strange, felt a little odd here and there, the others not noticing the only Pinkie Pie showing remorse and not acting weird was just...annoying given they were talking right to her.

And yet again Derpy is missing. Last weeks apparent sighting was either shopped or wrong. So she hasn't made an appearance yet, that's not encouraging.
Old November 17 2012, 05:30 PM   #4
DarkHorizon
Captain

Agree with the B grade. It was fun, but there were a couple of missteps. I agree with the problem of not recognising the real Pinkie - the first time, it was funny; but after that it felt wrong from a character perspective.

Did like how they resolved the problem though - that was a clever bit of writing, I thought.
Old November 17 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Upon second viewing, it's still a B. But it's a pretty good B. As often happens, taking out the ads helped with the flow.

The best part of the episode was the idea that Pinkie has more depth to her than being a party animal. She genuinely cares about her friends and gets dispondant if she feels their relationships are in trouble. That was a nice touch; it almost felt like 1-dimensional fanfic Pinkie's vs. Canon Pinkie Pie.

The big overarching problem, IMHO, is that a magic cloning pool which creates duplicates that may or may not be sapient entities in their own right opens up a huge can of worms that the episode didn't even try to acknowledge. Yeah, yeah, kid's show and all, but I think Twilight at the very least would have been as much fascinated by the discovery as she was concerned about fixing the problem. And there wasn't any of that; she drops a rock over the opening and that's about it. Considering her own neurosies, you just know she'd be tempted to try it herself so she could get more research done, or something similar. The episode didn't need to be about those things, but I would have liked more amazement and incredulity on the part of the mane cast. Even for Equestria, a magic clone pool is freaking weird.
Old November 17 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Pinkie definitely got to show a little more depth, and it just made me like her more. The G3 face gag was funny, but all too brief considering the Hub's buildup. The novel idea of making Pinkie watch paint dry was a great one. I do agree that at some point, one of the Mane Six should have said "THAT Pinkie isn't behaving like any of the others." Which would show that she was the real deal, and not a fun clone like all of the others.

Still, all in all, a very fun episode, and it gets a squeaker "A" from me.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I still feel like giving it an A for the Pinkie part of it, her grandmother knew about the pool, and Twilight had a book on it in her library so I'll assume it was sort of known about at one point. And having about 30 Pinkie's running around is all the incentive anyone needs to seal the thing away forever.
Old November 17 2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Yep. A little bit more lore in the land of Equestria.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Derpy is apparently hiding around in some frames but a lot less visibly these days, or not her at all. Not sure what's going on, but until then...

Old November 18 2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Derpy is apparently hiding around in some frames but a lot less visibly these days, or not her at all. Not sure what's going on, but until then...
I wonder when they were animating these episodes, and if it could have been during the height of Derpygate. Hasbro seemed pretty skittish about her for quite a while there.
Old November 18 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

They would have been rendering season 3 starting in around May this year.

Also I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Rarity's dress yet, and that Fancy Pants happened to be in town the same afternon....
Old November 18 2012, 01:03 AM   #12
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Also I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Rarity's dress yet, and that Fancy Pants happened to be in town the same afternon....
Eh. Not much to say about it. It was just kinda...there. I thought it seemed like a detail thrown in because, hey, wearing fancy dresses is something Rarity does...right? It was weird that she was going outside in a fancy outfit apparently for the heck of it.

Though now that you bring it up, the Fancy Pants cameo does imply there was something going on with her, doesn't it? And the two of them were dancing together in A Canterlot Wedding. Hmm...
Old November 18 2012, 01:05 AM   #13
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

She was also sneaking around in a cloak, only showing herself in public around Twilight and Pinkie.

Oh yes, affair is in full swing my friends.
Old November 18 2012, 01:12 AM   #14
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Hot damn, you may be right. How did I not pick up on that?

Spike is gong to be so upset. I wonder if it'll factor on either of his upcoming episodes at all.
Old November 18 2012, 01:16 AM   #15
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Hot damn, you may be right. How did I not pick up on that?

Spike is gong to be so upset. I wonder if it'll factor on either of his upcoming episodes at all.
Shock twist, Fluer and Spike run away together to show them both!