Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 2 2012, 04:34 AM   #1
Mr Light
Admiral

Comic Book, TV, Movie Podcasts?

I just recently got into the world of podcasts thanks to Kevin Smith's Smodcast, and I'm looking for reccomendations on podcasts about comic books, tv, and movies. Particularly comic books!

I did just start with the Force.net's podcast since they announced the Disney buy. I can't quite tell if I like it or not, it's like a typical radio show but they seem to be really brown-nosing for George Lucas. Don't get me wrong I actually like the Prequels, but it seems like they're not allowed to say anything negative about the franchise...

I also see that Kevin Smith has expanded into a franchise of his own with about 30 different podcasts on his website Outside of the primary Smodcast I've only listened to Fatman on Batman, which is awesome because it's Kevin Smith talking to people about Batman cartoons, movies, and comics! What about the rest, though? Any good?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 05:01 AM   #2
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: Comic Book, TV, Movie Podcasts?

The two comic related podcasts I listen to are:

IFanboy - Three life long fans rate and review the comics for the week.

11 O'Clock Comics - A much looser show. Four fans talk comics in general. Topics vary wildly, from recent books, to much older stuff. One segment might be on Marvel NOW, the next might be a discussion on EC horrror comics of the 50's.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Mr Light
Admiral

the Pick of the Week podcast only lists a single comic, but they talk about all the comics that week...?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 05:51 AM   #4
shivkala
Rear Admiral

They take turns picking a "Best of the week," but they discuss the books from the week they've read, then with listener e-mails/voicemails, they address other books and usually a question or two.

If you're using iTunes, if you click on "Show Description" (it's a right click in Windows), they have show notes, listing all of the comics they discuss and the times they discuss them, so you can skip around if you only want to hear certain books being discussed/reviewed.

On the iFanboy podcast site they have links to their video podcasts (where they focus on a single topic, usually a creator or run they love) as well as the "Don't Miss" podcast, where they interview a creator about an upcoming book that they think will be really good.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Peter Q Taggart
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My favorite comic book podcast is Major Spoilers. http://majorspoilers.com/category/ma...ilers-podcast/
Peter Q Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast
http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/

Endorsed by Rod Roddenberry, two guys go through the series in chronological order and discuss the themes and ideas in the episode. It's pretty good.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

shameless plug of a podcast i'm part of. we talk comics, movies, cartoons, toys etc. http://fanholespodcast.blogspot.com/
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I did just start with the Force.net's podcast since they announced the Disney buy. I can't quite tell if I like it or not, it's like a typical radio show but they seem to be really brown-nosing for George Lucas. Don't get me wrong I actually like the Prequels, but it seems like they're not allowed to say anything negative about the franchise...
The thing is they sort of have to if they want certain guests. They are more pro-establishment. As afar as SWpodcasts go...

I would highly recommand the Starwarsreport done by Nathan P. Butler who really knows his stuff:

http://www.starwarsreport.com/

If you want a fun and naughty Trek podcast done by guys who kinda know their stuff but they arenot into the books as far as i know:

http://www.dorktrek.com/

Literary treks is a new podcast about Treklit:

http://trek.fm/literary-treks/

The Black Tribbles is a great podcast about black nerds and they talk about a lot of nerdy things:

http://blacktribbles.podomatic.com/
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I don't listen to comic podcasts but i can recommend one for tv, I'm a big fan of "Talking TV with Ryan and Ryan" with Ryan McGee and Maureen Ryan, it helps that most of the time they like the same shows I do.
I listen to them on itunes, they started a new feed a few months ago and I have no idea where to find the older podcasts.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

The Drunk Tank. Or as it's now known, The Rooster Teeth Podcast. I started out on Smith's SModcast as well, and while SMod sort of turned into "Smith gets stoned and laughs at his own jokes" all the time, The RT Podcast has always been hilarious.

I guess it helps if your a fan of Red Vs Blue/Achievement Hunter as well, but really the humor ranges from Game/TV/Movie releases to....Gavin's genitalia. But still, its a hilarious listen (or watch, as its now a live video podcast, although you need to subscribe to Roosterteeth as a sponsor to see it "live", otherwise it's released a week later on youtube).
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

If you like horror movies and TV, Horror Etc. is great.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 04:32 PM   #12
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Filmspotting has long been my favorite podcast. There's also a "spin-off" called Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit that focuses on, as the name suggests, streaming media (VOD, iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc.).

If you're interested in movie and television-related interviews (directors, writers, etc.), I have a couple suggestions: KCRW's The Treatment, hosted by film critic Elvis Mitchell; and The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith. The Nerdist Writers Panel also interviews various types of writers - most notably those working in television, but also in movies and comic books. Nerdist is a large podcast network, so I'd recommend taking a look at some of their other offerings as well.

On the television-specific front, I'd second Takeru's recommendation for Talking TV with Ryan Ryan. I also occasionally enjoy listening to Firewall & Iceberg, hosted by critics Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg.

For comics, one of my friends recommends 11 O'Clock Comics (thus seconding Mike Farley). Said friend is a host on Distinguished Comic Book Podcast.

Speaking of friends with podcasts...

You can also find more recommendations in this Misc. thread and in this old TVM thread.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 05:43 PM   #13
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

House to astonish and word balloon for comics.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2012, 07:31 PM   #14
CaptMurdock
Commodore

View CaptMurdock's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CaptMurdock Send a message via Yahoo to CaptMurdock

If you're a Kevin Smith fan, check out Hollywood Babble-On, with Kevin and Ralph Garman, "The Man of at least a Dozen Voices." If you can, find the shows where they do a "dramatic" reading of Kevin's Batman miniseries, "Cacaphony." Now that's entertainment.
Old December 3 2012, 10:02 PM   #15
indianatrekker26
Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I just recently got into the world of podcasts thanks to Kevin Smith's Smodcast, and I'm looking for reccomendations on podcasts about comic books, tv, and movies. Particularly comic books!

I also see that Kevin Smith has expanded into a franchise of his own with about 30 different podcasts on his website Outside of the primary Smodcast I've only listened to Fatman on Batman, which is awesome because it's Kevin Smith talking to people about Batman cartoons, movies, and comics! What about the rest, though? Any good?
I have listened to the forcecast for probably 4 years. Of the two, Jason is much more critical on star wars. But Jimmy can come across as the ultimate fanboy at times. They tend to have alot of guests on, mostly from the Clone Wars series.
Another podcast i enjoy is www.starwarsbookreport.com. They mostly focus on the star wars fiction. I also enjoy www.geekoutonline.com with Steve Glosson. That guy is extremely entertaining. He talks everything from comics, to movies and everything between.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote