Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 15 2012, 05:05 AM   #1
JD
Admiral

Oz: The Great & Powerful pre-release thread

Since there wasn't an overall pre-release thread for this, I figured I'd go ahead and start one.
Poster:

Story:
Sam Raimi's film is set before the events of the 1939 film and the original book. When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot—fame and fortune are his for the taking... that is until he meets the witches Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz), and Glinda (Michelle Williams) who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity, and even a bit of wizardry, Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well.

Trailers

Cast:
I love Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies, I'm a big fan of most of the cast, and I've loved most of the footage that's been released so far, so I'm really looking forward to this.
Old November 26 2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Oz: The Great & Powerful pre-release thread

Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The trailer looked fun. A bit too Charlie and the Chocolate factory, but it's a modern take on an old classic, so that might be inevitable. I like James Franco and I think they could do a lot with the Wizard, so it could work. I'll wait for reviews, though.

Although I'm guessing this will contradict Wicked
Old November 26 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Listened to the trailer before my Skyfall showing. (I generally like to skip trailers entirely, but the seats in this theatre didn't allow for easy entrances/exits.)

Sounds like yet another "unlikely stranger becomes phrophesied savior, because young white people are the best" flick. A stylistically identical remake of Burton's Alice, except with a guy. Why can't we ever get a story about two people entering a strange land, but our protagonist is the dude who isn't the chosen one? He could still have wild adventures; heck, if the actual chosen one becomes more of a general figure than a front-lines fighter, the non-chosen one could actually wind up with the more interesting story. You could still have Joseph Campbell's Hero formula, but add at least a little twist for flavor...

... Looks like my beloved Rachel's streak of mediocre bigger-ticket movies continues. Fred Claus, not-Bourne, Dream House... get a new agent, hon!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'd very much prefer a straight adaptation of Gregory Maguire's Wicked. That was a rather fun book that never felt rehashed and took the universe seriously in terms of fantasy elements.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'd very much prefer a straight adaptation of Gregory Maguire's Wicked. That was a rather fun book that never felt rehashed and took the universe seriously in terms of fantasy elements.
LOL, a straight adaptation of Wicked? That wouldn't be Wicked anymore Speakng of the adapatation of Wicked, what's going on with it? Last update on IMDB page is from July 2012, with a targeted release date of 2014, but, no details are provided. Is that still moving forward, or is it in Development Hell? Also, I've heard some accounts that it's an adaptation of the Musical, and other accounts that it would be instead based on the book, has that decision even been made?

I am looking forward to Oz: The Great and Powerful. I almost never venture to the theaters, so, I won' see it in the theaters, but, anxiously awaiting it to be released on DVD when it's time comes. Hoping it's gonna be good.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Speakng of the adapatation of Wicked, what's going on with it? Last update on IMDB page is from July 2012, with a targeted release date of 2014, but, no details are provided. Is that still moving forward, or is it in Development Hell?
My guess is that, when faced with the prospect of going up against a Raimi movie (franchise, no doubt) backed by Disney, whoever was considering funding a Wicked adaptation thought better of it. The projects may have been dueling at one point, but I don't think this is going to end up being an Infamous vs. Capote situation.
Old November 27 2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

LOL, a straight adaptation of Wicked? That wouldn't be Wicked anymore

Did you mean that the studio would likely mangle it up so much to the point of it not being the same? If so, then, I'd unfortunately agree. But I still would love to see something of that nature rather than what we're getting, and I've also heard of the movie being based on the musical, where the musical is completely different in tone. They basically only share the name.
Old November 27 2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
LOL, a straight adaptation of Wicked? That wouldn't be Wicked anymore

Did you mean that the studio would likely mangle it up so much to the point of it not being the same? If so, then, I'd unfortunately agree. But I still would love to see something of that nature rather than what we're getting, and I've also heard of the movie being based on the musical, where the musical is completely different in tone. They basically only share the name.
I was being facetious and using "straight" as "Heterosexual" or "Normal" which Wicked certainly is not, considering the implications of Elphaba/Glinda relationship, The Philosophy Club, Frex/Melina relationship with Nessa Rose's father, etc.

But, yea, what I've heard of the Musical, I wouldn't be nearly as interested in an adaptation true to the musical, as I would be an adaptation true to the book

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ohhhh, I see. Totally didn't see that LOL.

Yeah, what I'd like to see is a LOTR style adaptation, making it into the epic the book was rather than a musical, because the book was rather deep and rich, often expanding on the universe Frank L. Baum created, and I can't see why that approach couldn't be done to the universe. Rather, because of the popular musical, we keep getting something campy, and I think the universe deserves more than that. There's so much potential too, as the novel really expanded on the diversity of Oz. The trendy thing now is darker movies, and Wicked seems like a perfect vehicle for that.
Old January 23 2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Just realized this may be my only chance to ever see Weisz in three dimensions. Guess that means I'll have to buy a ticket in spite of my overall neutrality towards the project.

... Well played, Disney. Well played.