Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 15 2012, 04:08 AM   #1
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon

Best Place To Which You've Ever Traveled

The title says it all. I love to go to neat places and I'm sure many here do too.

Not counting your own hometown or your current residence, where is the best place you've ever visited and why do you find it so?

This is a tough call for me, personally. But surprisingly, even though other places might beat it out for other reasons, I choose Amsterdam.

I felt at home there for some reason, even though I don't speak a word of Dutch. I loved the architecture and well, I just really liked the place. I'd love to have a flat in one of those narrow houses in the heart of the city. Although I'd probably get killed by a bicyclist; I had a few close calls while walking in the roadways.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 04:11 AM   #2
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Place To Which You've Ever Traveled

New York City, of course.
Old November 15 2012, 04:11 AM   #3
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon

You didn't say WHY! Jeez, first post in.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

My obsession with baseball aside - I really don't know why. I just feel more at home in New York than any other large city, and I have always admired New Yorkers for their toughness. Also I have relatives who live near there (in NJ) who I can stay with, so it is easy for me to visit NYC.
Old November 15 2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Dublin, Ireland. I loved the atmosphere, the people and everything. I am going to visit again, that's for sure.

And when I lived somewhere else and not here, Hong Kong. This place is so fantastic that I moved in here. After I leave and return to Europe, I'll still return as a tourist. Hong Kong is addictive (but, like a real addiction, a bit destructive if you overdose ).
Old November 15 2012, 05:03 AM   #6
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

Paris.

Because PARIS
Old November 15 2012, 05:39 AM   #7
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

My grandparents' house up in Beckley for two weeks every summer, until I was in high school.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:03 AM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

Turku, Finland during winter. I was there 2 months for work. It was my first european country and the town itself was a working city, not known for tourism. The people were great, the town was charming and lively. You felt safe even walking the streets after midnight. Hot chocolate was appropriate at any time of day.
Old November 15 2012, 06:21 AM   #9
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Arizona: It was just beautiful.

Lowell Observatory
Grand Canyon
Meteor Crater
Painted Desert

I regretted having to leave.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I don't get to travel much, so when I do, I am usually amazed by just about anywhere. Still, the greatest place I've ever visited was Chicago. Aside from brief forays in Cincinnati on the way to the interstate, I have never actually traveled to a major city.

I have so many wonderful memories attached to Chicago, due mostly to the Star Trek convention I was attending there. Meeting celebrities, making new friends, trying out the local cuisine (Giordanos FTW!), dancing, drinking, and just being in one of the greatest places in the U.S.

Finally, being in my hotel room, standing in front of the wide plate glass window at dusk, and staring at the Chicago skyline. For a boy who comes from a town of 8,000 people, it was sublime. It was freedom. I'll never forget it.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:25 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

^When I traveled a lot I used to love getting a high floor hotel room for city night views.
Old November 15 2012, 06:34 AM   #12
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I don't get to travel much, so when I do, I am usually amazed by just about anywhere.
I've been to and lived in a fair few places but I'm still like that. Insatiably curious. I still stare out the window of the train journey I've taken hundreds of times. I like going places with people who are similar, who love to look UP at the top of buildings at the gargoyles and old signage and who see an obscure alleyway and must go down it just because they haven't before.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:49 AM   #13
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

London. I was young and adventurous and had a BALL walking around town, checking out all the sights--all by myself. I just left my dorm room in Warwick (having a semester abroad), hopped on a train, and found myself in London with my map and my backpack. I wish I could go back, but I doubt that will ever happen again.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Kestra
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I don't get to travel much, so when I do, I am usually amazed by just about anywhere. Still, the greatest place I've ever visited was Chicago. Aside from brief forays in Cincinnati on the way to the interstate, I have never actually traveled to a major city.

I have so many wonderful memories attached to Chicago, due mostly to the Star Trek convention I was attending there. Meeting celebrities, making new friends, trying out the local cuisine (Giordanos FTW!), dancing, drinking, and just being in one of the greatest places in the U.S.

Finally, being in my hotel room, standing in front of the wide plate glass window at dusk, and staring at the Chicago skyline. For a boy who comes from a town of 8,000 people, it was sublime. It was freedom. I'll never forget it.
I'm still in love with Chicago. I might go back sometime in the future.

It's really difficult for me to choose, but I'd say India in general, and Rajasthan specifically. There was something interesting and beautiful everywhere I looked, but mixed in with poverty like aloof India. The history and culture is breathtaking. India in general has always been amazing for me, just because of the mixture and contrasts if nothing else.

Oh, and many people are so nice and happy, even when they have what we would consider to be nothing.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

I've been all the way across Canada by car, and there are many places that would almost make the list. But tops for me would be the town of Kailua on Oahu. It's where my wife and I went for our honeymoon. It's out of the touristy area (as much as you can be on Oahu, anyways) and we were almost right on the beach. I love the climate there, the sand, the ocean, wandering Honolulu, driving the coast...

Hope we get to go back for an anniversary one day.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote