Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 14 2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Would a black slaver or a concentration camp chief be controversia

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm sure she knew that her adoptive mother was a Queen long before ROTJ. She grew up in a palace or something. Her adoptive father, Bail Organa was the Queen's consort but also a senator.
You never see my 7 to 15 edits and revisions before you post.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:38 PM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I know, too much fast typing

And Hound of UIster I read that her mother was the Queen but when I looked up Bail's entry it said she became Queen after marrying Bail, a Prince. It also said she had five miscarriages before they adopted Leia. The EU is full of details like that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

btw a SW friend told me that Lucas invented the name Leia though obviously there are differently spelled names with similar sounds. Looking at this site though it suddenly appears in 1977

http://nametrends.net/name.php?name=Leia
Since this thread is way off the rails, allow me to push it further. I saw a episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive which told the true story of a father who crashed his snowmobile in the woods in the middle of winter, broke his leg and it was up to his preteen daughter to rescue him before he froze.

Kicker was his daughter was named "Leia," spelled that way, and all I could think was, "dude, you better hope she's not bitter."

PS, the guy had a full on Mark Hamill hairdo from the 70s even though the interview was from just a few years ago.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 10:56 PM   #19
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I know, too much fast typing

And Hound of UIster I read that her mother was the Queen but when I looked up Bail's entry it said she became Queen after marrying Bail, a Prince. It also said she had five miscarriages before they adopted Leia. The EU is full of details like that.
Bail's family held the title of Viceroy of Alderaan.

The overall situation is not really clear according to Wookiepedians .
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:26 PM   #20
teacake
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
btw a SW friend told me that Lucas invented the name Leia though obviously there are differently spelled names with similar sounds. Looking at this site though it suddenly appears in 1977

Since this thread is way off the rails, allow me to push it further. I saw a episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive which told the true story of a father who crashed his snowmobile in the woods in the middle of winter, broke his leg and it was up to his preteen daughter to rescue him before he froze.

Kicker was his daughter was named "Leia," spelled that way, and all I could think was, "dude, you better hope she's not bitter."

PS, the guy had a full on Mark Hamill hairdo from the 70s even though the interview was from just a few years ago.
It's a great name. Other than the "lay" part which would get you mercilessly mocked for at least seven years. But if you could survive that it's a name to be proud of.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 15 2012, 01:05 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There is a local tv show (nothing trivial, a romantic dramedy revolving a round a weekly pub-quiz.) and there's this character with children who takes them tot he park and plays with them, a good dad y'know... but then it's lunch time and he calls out to his spawn on the play ground to come in to roost for a picnic... "Carrie! Harrison! It's lunch time!"

I almost lost a kidney laughing.

Old November 15 2012, 01:08 AM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

It's a great name. Other than the "lay" part which would get you mercilessly mocked for at least seven years. But if you could survive that it's a name to be proud of.
Leia Organa.

lay (your/my/this) organ.

Sound like a directive to flop out your member as much as laying pipe.

I don't think George was getting much before Star Wars made it's first few million.

Old November 15 2012, 01:21 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

That explains why once he didn't have to go Solo anymore he was able to have enough restraint to no longer shoot first.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 15 2012, 04:52 AM   #24
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Someone's gotta do it.

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
In A sci fi setting of course. Let's say the director does not want to portrayblack people negativly he just cannot imagine anyone other then Ving Rhames/Samuel L. Jackson/Tony Todd in the role.
Would there be a controversy?

By slaver i don't mean someone who enslaves humans.
Sure. I've had similar ideas myself. I would have loved to seen a 60s satire/commentary on the way Blacks/minorities were treated in the 50s and 60s by having our heroes discover a humanoid settled world with the exact opposite racial demographics and political/socio-economic structure. Black people are the majority and oppressing the whites.

I'm sure that would have gone over like a Led Zeppelin.

One of the things I noticed and appreciated greatly about ERB's John Carter of Mars series were that the Good Guys were Red, Yellow and Black (and Green) and the Bad Guys were White.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Sure. I've had similar ideas myself. I would have loved to seen a 60s satire/commentary on the way Blacks/minorities were treated in the 50s and 60s by having our heroes discover a humanoid settled world with the exact opposite racial demographics and political/socio-economic structure. Black people are the majority and oppressing the whites.
Kubrik could had made a good movie about that. Blacks from this Earth choosing to become opressors or help the white civil rights movement would had been an interesting dilema.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I agree, it sounds beautiful, and come on: what guy on this board wouldn't wrestle an angry tauntaun to date an actual Leia?

Shawnster wrote: View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man's_Burden_(film)
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 12:51 AM   #27
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Is that the movie with Sidney Poitier? Naturally a huge bomb, even though it was a cheapie.

Steven Barnes wrote some alternate history novel with Africans colonizing the Americas and enslaving the Irish. Couldn't read it, I think to much Niven (and that means Pournelle) influence on him.

Commonly there is no controversy, these things are just dsimissed as "boring" or "heavy handed." Calling something boring is never legit, because it's meaningless. Why is it boring? Given this is the golden age of melodrama, calling something "heavy handed" is a dead giveaway of bad faith argument. Sometimes they try to take the high road by pretending a superior taste for realistic and deep moral ambiguity and shades of grey and such trendy cliches, but the inability to discuss (or even cite) anything factual still gives those people away.
Old November 16 2012, 01:04 AM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
^^^Is that the movie with Sidney Poitier? Naturally a huge bomb, even though it was a cheapie.
Must be a different movie than the one you're thinking of. Poitier is not in this one.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 01:10 AM   #29
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
So basically Paul Kinsey's Star Trek screenplay from Mad Men (and IIRC a rejected idea for an actual Star Trek episode where aliens view McCoy as Uhura's slave.)

I dunno. The racial/gender role reversal is kind of a hoary old SF cliche at this point (TNG's "Angel One" being a particularly weak example of it) and I have read some pretty strident criticisms of it as an idea. So at the very least it'd depend on execution that is subtle, sensitive and clever.
Old November 16 2012, 01:40 AM   #30
stj
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Must be a different movie than the one you're thinking of. Poitier is not in this one.

You're right, Harry Belafonte, not Sidney Poitier.

PS I'm pretty sure that "subtle" is not right. There's plenty of subtlety in the denialism right now and importing it into a reversal would be both dreary and pointless. In fact, it might end up implicitly avowing the nonexistence of racism. But sensitive and clever is always desirable.