TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 14 2012, 01:05 PM   #31
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Kommander wrote: View Post
I do not argue to win, I argue to be right. If I'm right at the beginning of an argument, then I'm right at the end of an argument and I win. If I'm wrong at the beginning of an argument, then I realize that, purge erroneous information, I then become right, and I still win. With this way of thinking, I have the satisfaction of always winning whether I'm right or wrong.

As far as confirmation bias goes, I try my damnedest to catch myself doing it before I form opinions.
Exactly. I don't argue to win, I argue to present factual data into the conversation.
It's always frustrating arguing with someone who sees it in terms of winning. Arguing is essentially a cooperative activity if you're doing it "right"; it's about trying to arrive at either a helpful resolution to whatever discontent prompted the argument or to achieve a greater understanding of reality. A consequence of that is the ease with which you should accept good points or even justified condemnations from the other person while promoting your own position. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with someone who understands arguing in terms of the need to win, to assert themselves and gain some form of control over others, any recognition or acknowledgement of their points or insights is taken to mean that their overall position is right. If their punches are seen to land home and yours don't, they interpret that as their side of the argument having greater weight or otherwise being the stronger, when really all it means is that you're trying to work things through to truth or understanding, which involves incorporating anything that strikes you as useful or correct, while they're motivated only by the need to come out on top. In other words, an argument is only ever useful if both parties are interested in bettering themselves and their perception of reality - once you have someone whose motive is "winning" the argument the whole thing becomes rather pointless, in my opinion.
Old November 14 2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

There are quite a few people who get into discussions on this board who have no intention of listening to anyone else's POV. They are not arguing or debating. They are repeating a statement.
Old November 14 2012, 02:21 PM   #33
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus

Over and over and over and over...

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 02:47 PM   #34
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Think as has been said, for the most part people change their mind gradually rather than instantly on hearing new information. Takes reinforcement to really change your mind, even if you're open to changing your mind you require a lot of evidence to reinforce that change.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 05:02 AM   #35
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

I'm open to accepting pretty much anything as long as it has valid facts and legitimate truth behind it. Some things, though I believe in being emotionally predisposed to. I'm a walking example of that statement.
Old November 17 2012, 03:55 AM   #36
propita
Rear Admiral

To me, ignorance is lacking knowledge; foolishness is ignoring available knowledge.

Hubby and I have had those "you said this/I said that" "no, you said this, I said that" arguments. As soon as he has clearly repeated the statements correctly, I concede being incorrect. Quickly, too. So quickly sometimes, that he's thought I was just trying to end the argument. Hell no! I'll keep going if I think I'm right, but concede immediately when I see I'm wrong. I've said for years, I'd rather be ignorant than be a fool. One can be remedied, the other is a choice--and choosing to be a fool? No thanks.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote