Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old October 15 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead
Macbook speaker question

My laptop's served me well for several years, but lately I've been curious about something. I've noticed sometimes, chiefly on YouTube, it sounds like whatever I'm listening to skips fairly often. This seems to happen even on videos which haven't seemed to skip before, yet I haven't noticed it when playing media like iTunes. Is this a potential hardware issue that's just associated with age, or is there something specific with YT's format that might be causing it?

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 10:44 PM   #2
JustAFriend
Commodore

Re: Macbook speaker question

Just streaming problems in youtube.
JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Undead
Continuity Spackle

That's seeming to be the case, which is nice if it's on their end. It's seemed better today, and I've heard it's primarily a flash related problem.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old October 20 2012, 08:37 AM   #4
spinnerlys
Commander

Maybe update Flash via the company's website: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

And did you recently update your OS, maybe even to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion?
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 02:04 AM   #5
Undead
Continuity Spackle

I haven't recently updated the OS (which is still a version of X) and I have a flash build that's fairly recent (not v11, but the most advanced 10 build).

Knight Exemplar
Old October 21 2012, 09:35 AM   #6
spinnerlys
Commander

Undead wrote: View Post
I haven't recently updated the OS (which is still a version of X)
So it is either Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard I suppose?
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion are still a version of X, just that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion shed the "Mac" from its name in order to be more in line with "iOS".

To find out what Mac OS X version you run:
and I have a flash build that's fairly recent (not v11, but the most advanced 10 build).
Then maybe it is time to update, as many sites abandon older versions of Flash for their content.
Old October 21 2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Yeah, I'm considering the latter although for the most part it still functions pretty well. My OS is the 10.5 version of Leopard.

Knight Exemplar
Old October 29 2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Well this is frustrating. It seems some of the stuff I like has already switched over to Flash 11, but that won't run on a 10.5 OS. :/ Is it worth downloading OS 10.6x?

Knight Exemplar
Old October 29 2012, 04:09 AM   #9
spinnerlys
Commander

Well this is frustrating. It seems some of the stuff I like has already switched over to Flash 11, but that won't run on a 10.5 OS. :/ Is it worth downloading OS 10.6x?
10.6 is worth it for me, it is the best Mac OS X version since 10.4 for me. 10.7 and 10.8 are not for me though, too much iOS-ification.
Also know, that 10.6 cannot be downloaded "officially".

PS: 10.6 does not deviate from 10.5 that much, at least visually, as the most changes were made under the hood (getting rid of PPC code, introducing new APIs, and so on).
Old October 29 2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Aren't there some official links for 10.6 download, since it's no longer the most recent version? I was looking at some Apple stuff last night even though I didn't download anything, and the links came from Wiki's page. I could be wrong of course.

Knight Exemplar
Old October 31 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
spinnerlys
Commander

Aren't there some official links for 10.6 download, since it's no longer the most recent version? I was looking at some Apple stuff last night even though I didn't download anything, and the links came from Wiki's page. I could be wrong of course.
10.6 was never for download, 10.7 was the first OS Apple offered as download.
Thus you are left with finding an overpriced used Retail DVD (originally it cost 29 USD, now it cost 80 to 120 USD via eBay or Amazon) or getting it via torrents.
Old November 14 2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Is 10.7 a better option then? I have a question that's unrelated to speakers, but something I'm trying to learn more about. I've noticed lately that my unit tends to run hotter than it used to when running flash or games, and gets hot very quickly which didn't use to be the case. It seems to be even worse if the battery's charging, which doesn't surprise me. In Googling this it's seemed like this could be a thermal paste issue; my MB's in the right time frame and I've read that reapplying it is one common solution. Any advice would be welcome.

Knight Exemplar