Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 19 2012, 11:57 PM   #136
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Re: Firefly first-time/rewatch (NO SPOILERS, please)

Lindley wrote: View Post
Inara and Book get just enough development to raise questions, not quite enough to answer them. Maybe that's what makes them so intriguing. (Some of Book's backstory is elaborated in comics.)

Some of Inara's backstory is covered in the anniversary special they did a few weeks ago.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:59 PM   #137
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

OH I have to watch that, thanks for the reminder!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 12:04 AM   #138
lurok
Commodore

Perhaps I should have put 'No Shipping' as well as No Spoilers Though no doubt we'll probably all get round to it at some point.
Old November 20 2012, 12:16 AM   #139
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I'm trying to figure out Mal's age. Speculation on the firefly wiki puts it at 31.

"Screens from Serenity suggest that Mal was born on September 20, 2468—which would make him 49 at the time of the series Firefly—though this may be a mistake, since the information screen also misspells his name as "Malcom," and may have been intended to be 2486, making him 31, an age more consistent with his appearance."

Simon was born 2490 so that makes him 27 though he looks a lot younger to me.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 12:28 AM   #140
Skywalker
Admiral

I think 2486 makes a lot more sense, too. Fillion was about 30 while the show was airing, so I always imagined Mal was around the same age.

I can also buy Simon being 27. He's a full-fledged doctor, not just a med student, and seems to already have some experience working in hospitals. He's just one of those people who looks young. Sean Maher was also 27 at that time, if that makes any difference.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 12:38 AM   #141
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Shawnster wrote: View Post
I found The Train Job to be a very fun and entertaining episode upon repeated viewing (once I understood the whole Firefly concept and universe). I liked Niska as a villain and was glad to see that he returns again. The killing of Krull (I think it was) with the engine intake was unexpected and still cracks me up. And, with the simple scene of the 2 by 2, hands of blue agents, the overall arc is pushed forward.

A great episode especially in light of it being put together literally over a weekend.
Yes it crams a lot in! But they all do, not really any filler eps because the characters and bigger picture is always being steadily advanced even if that's not the main story for an episode.

I'm very much enjoying my rewatch, the visuals and sets are so rich that I notice new things every time.

And..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 12:38 AM   #142
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I think 2486 makes a lot more sense, too. Fillion was about 30 while the show was airing, so I always imagined Mal was around the same age.

I can also buy Simon being 27. He's a full-fledged doctor, not just a med student, and seems to already have some experience working in hospitals. He's just one of those people who looks young. Sean Maher was also 27 at that time, if that makes any difference.
Oh I agree, I completely buy him being 27, it's just he's a young looking 27. Kaylee even comments on this.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 05:51 PM   #143
Forbin
Admiral

Ya know, that CAN'T be good for the engine.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 08:56 PM   #144
marksound
Fleet Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Just to up the SF geek ante, she (Inara) reminded me a little of Dune's Bene Gesserit. Please no-one tell me she starts displaying kung-fu skills and mental abilities
That's a really good comparison!

Forbin wrote: View Post
I think Inara is, basically, a skilled psychologist. There's nothing supernatural there.
I agree with that. It's interesting though that her training allows her to pass through highest levels of diplomacy and power. The possibilities to be more than a sex worker are there and I wouldn't be surprised if some companions are not also spies despite their code most likely forbidding such things.
Inara's much like a geisha (with the added dimension of sex as an expected part of the deal), which is odd, considering the Chinese, rather than Japanese culture.

I found The Train Job to be a very fun and entertaining episode upon repeated viewing (once I understood the whole Firefly concept and universe). I liked Niska as a villain and was glad to see that he returns again. The killing of Krull (I think it was) with the engine intake was unexpected and still cracks me up. And, with the simple scene of the 2 by 2, hands of blue agents, the overall arc is pushed forward.

A great episode especially in light of it being put together literally over a weekend.
Good analysis. Glad to see someone gets it.

The thug's name was Crow, by the way.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:02 PM   #145
marksound
Fleet Captain

Mal's chronological age is irrelevant. He spent a big part of his life fighting a war, and a big part if that commanding others. If he's not old in years, he is in life experience.

The fact that he refers to others as "son" or "boy" only emphasizes his war-weary attitude. I thought it was obvious.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:29 PM   #146
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Mal's chronological age is irrelevant. He spent a big part of his life fighting a war, and a big part if that commanding others. If he's not old in years, he is in life experience.

The fact that he refers to others as "son" or "boy" only emphasizes his war-weary attitude. I thought it was obvious.
Yea, Simon was 27 going on 18, and Mal was 31, going on 45

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 09:38 PM   #147
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Yea, Simon was 27 going on 18, and Mal was 31, going on 45
Yep, that's it.

As to the "son", he's just letting this man who in any other setting would be far above him in privilege and social standing know that's worth jack on his ship. He lets Book know the same thing right from the start, that being a preacher is worth exactly nothing.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 10:54 PM   #148
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Obvious, yes. Believable, not really. The actor doesn't really look war-weary, does he? He's a guy your mum would love you to bring home. He kinda reminds me of Michael J. Fox.

But it's not only the actor. The character itself is not very constant. It doesn't make sense to see the war-weary guy act rather infantile when he's around Inara. Who exactly is socially inept again...?

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 11:18 PM   #149
teacake
Fleet Admiral

We are two episodes in. God help most of Star Trek if the characters are judged on that.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 20 2012, 11:26 PM   #150
Forbin
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
We are two episodes in. God help most of Star Trek if the characters are judged on that.
It's in interesting internet phenomenon, isn't it? You'll hear someone say about a show they like: "You can't judge a new show by its first couple of seasons, it take 3 seasons to get its legs." But two episodes into a new show they don't like you'll hear the same person say "This sucks, it should be cancelled!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote