RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,699
Members: 24,831
Currently online: 532
Newest member: Edtrecke

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 28 2012, 12:30 AM   #31
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek actors in other roles

Christopher wrote: View Post
T'other day on TCM, I caught a bit of Shatner's big-screen debut in The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Joseph Cotten, and Lee J. Cobb. He played a very quiet, pious character, the youngest brother. In the parts I saw, he was mostly standing around in the background while the bigger stars were talking, or facing away from the camera while talking (or mostly listening) to Brynner.
A few weeks ago I saw Shatner in "Judgment at Nuremberg" on TCM.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 09:24 AM   #32
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

T'other day on TCM, I caught a bit of Shatner's big-screen debut in The Brothers Karamazov with Yul Brynner, Joseph Cotten, and Lee J. Cobb. He played a very quiet, pious character, the youngest brother. In the parts I saw, he was mostly standing around in the background while the bigger stars were talking, or facing away from the camera while talking (or mostly listening) to Brynner.
He certainly compensated for that.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 05:06 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I was just watching The Manitou (don't judge me), a very silly horror movie from the seventies in which Michael Ansara ("Kang") plays a heroic Native American medicine man . . . .
Old November 28 2012, 06:43 PM   #34
E-DUB
Captain

I do that too. Even give a "Trek Index" to shows and movies. The old "Spiderman" series was pretty good for that. One episode had William Smithers and Andrew Robinson. (Merrick and Garak!)
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 07:05 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

E-DUB wrote: View Post
The old "Spiderman" series was pretty good for that. One episode had William Smithers and Andrew Robinson. (Merrick and Garak!)
If you mean the '70s The Amazing Spider-Man series with Nicholas Hammond, it featured Michael Pataki (Korax) in a recurring role as a police captain. And Rosalind Chao (Keiko) had a featured role in the final 2-part episode. Other Trek guests in that show include Theodore Bikel, Barbara Luna, Paul Carr, Nicolas Coster, and Hagan Beggs. (Its guests also included some actors with other superhero connections -- JoAnna Cameron, aka Isis; Gavan O'Herlihy from Superman III; and Bob Hastings and Lloyd Bochner, who were Commissioner Gordon and Mayor Hill in Batman: The Animated Series.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2012, 10:00 PM   #36
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

I recently re-watched Escape from L.A. (the silly sequel to Escape from New York) and for a few seconds I was wondering where I'd seen "that" actress before... then it hit me: Ro Laren!
Not a huge role, but a nice surprise nonetheless.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2012, 07:23 AM   #37
Tiberius
Commodore

T'Cal wrote: View Post
John Hurt - VOY's Capt. Ransom
You mean John Savage. John Hurt, unfortunately, has never done Star Trek. He probably had his fill of spaceships after what happened to him aboard the Nostromo...
I lolled.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2012, 06:12 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I finally got around to watching NATIONAL TREASURE 2 last night--and was amused to see Bruce Greenwood ("Captain Pike") playing the President of the United States!

I was also vaguely troubled by how he resembled Mitt Romney . . .
Old December 16 2012, 02:44 PM   #39
T'Cal
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
The Intruder is also available at Internet Archive for free download, under the title Shame. They filmed parts of it southeast Missouri, circa 1962, with local residents playing some of the parts. On more than one occasion, when some local jurisdictions found out what the film was actually about, Shatner, Roger Corman, and rest of the crew would have to make a fast getaway out of town.

Hey! The actor in your avatar played Ollie in the 1966 classic "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" along side the late, great Don Knotts! Just sayin'...
Old December 16 2012, 06:42 PM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I finally got around to watching NATIONAL TREASURE 2 last night--and was amused to see Bruce Greenwood ("Captain Pike") playing the President of the United States!
Ever seen Thirteen Days?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 07:24 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Star Trek actors who have played John F. Kennedy:
  • Cliff DeYoung (from DS9: "Vortex"): Robert Kennedy & His Times (1985)
  • Andrew J. Robinson: Twilight Zone revival episode "Profile in Silver" (1986)
  • Robert Pine (VGR/ENT guest and Chris Pine's father): TV movie Hoover vs. the Kennedys: The Second Civil War (1987)
  • Steven Weber (from DS9: "The Siege"): The Kennedys of Massachusetts (1990)
  • Stephen Collins: Miniseries A Woman Named Jackie (1991)
  • Bruce Greenwood: Thirteen Days (2000)
  • Steven Culp: Perception episode "Shadow" (2012)

I could also add noted Shatner impersonator Maurice LaMarche, who did a voice in a Trek video game and also voiced JFK on Animaniacs.

It's worth noting that both The West Wing's president and vice president, Martin Sheen and Tim Matheson, have played JFK. Also both cinematic Uncle Bens, Cliff Robertson and Sheen. While William Devane, who played JFK in The Missiles of October, has also played the US President in Stargate SG-1 and The Dark Knight Rises.

Old December 16 2012, 07:26 PM   #42
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

I hope the rumors of a feature film version of "Profile in Silver" turn out to be true. WANT.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 16 2012, 07:28 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

I never really cared for "Profile in Silver" that much, largely since I thought that Robinson (who was, of course, not well-known to me yet) was very poorly cast as JFK.

Old December 16 2012, 07:45 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Ever seen Thirteen Days?
You know, I think I missed that one.
Old December 16 2012, 08:09 PM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Bruce plays an awesome JFK in that one. And Steven Culp owns the role of RFK.

Go ahead and try to spot all the Trek actors in it (there are lots).

I never really cared for "Profile in Silver" that much, largely since I thought that Robinson (who was, of course, not well-known to me yet) was very poorly cast as JFK.
Poorly? I thought he was great.