MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 5 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Is VI underrated?

Where do you rank this film among the rest of the even-numbered films? I've always thought, while a good film, it's a bit of an underrated Star Trek movie and doesn't get too much praise when compared to the rest.

I don't know, thoughts?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 05:35 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Is VI underrated?

The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorite Trek films. A fitting send-off for the TOS gang.
Old November 5 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

On the contrary, I think STVI is overrated. Why are the characters treated so badly? Kirk's suddenly a racist, McCoy is incompetent (no idea about Klingon anatomy?), Uhura can't speak Klingon (the communications officer doesn't know the language of the Federation's main rival?) and Spock mind rapes a screaming Valaris on the bridge while everyone just sits and watches.

And the less said about that Shakespeare-obsessed Chang, the better.

It could have been so much better with some rewrites.
Old November 5 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'd place it as my second favorite. From what I've seen(that movie list favorite thread comes to mind), most people will put UC in their top three.

Kirk a racist? Well losing a son doesn't help the sunshine and love feelings. He overcame it as a true hero should. Human anatomy alone is highly complicated, I see no problem with McCoy not knowing Klingon anatomy when the Federation has dozens of member species he's more likely to be treating first. He knew enough to briefly revive him regardless. I thought the Uhura scene was weaker because they yanked out books rather than used a computer to figure out what to say but that was more a early 90's thing than anything. As for Spock mind raping Valeris? I got to give a pass on that one. If he hadn't done that they still wouldn't know who the assassins and conspirators would be. So saving the life of the President and Chancellor rates above a few moments of discomfort for a non-repentant murderer and traitor.

I thought it was a good movie and a grand conclusion to the TOS story arc.
Old November 5 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
On the contrary, I think STVI is overrated. Why are the characters treated so badly? Kirk's suddenly a racist, McCoy is incompetent (no idea about Klingon anatomy?), Uhura can't speak Klingon (the communications officer doesn't know the language of the Federation's main rival?) and Spock mind rapes a screaming Valaris on the bridge while everyone just sits and watches.

And the less said about that Shakespeare-obsessed Chang, the better.

It could have been so much better with some rewrites.
I don't know? Kirk? Could being in the state of Cold War with an enemy and knowing that a member of said enemy murdered your son in cold blood have anything to do with it? Why does McCoy need to know the anatomy of the Klingons? We were still at a point where we didn't even know if there was one race that was considered Klingon or several. And Uhura was never shown as a linguist. That is a faulty assumption, she was always shown to be more of an engineer.

It seems that the reason some people don't like the movie is because the characters don't fit their personal assumptions about them. Just like the people that screamed bloody murder about T'Pol because Spock was supposedly the first Vulcan in Starfleet.
Old November 5 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Bamarren
Lieutenant

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Undiscovered Country is one of my favorite Trek films. A fitting send-off for the TOS gang.
It was on telly yesterday and both my dad and me said the very same thing. Brilliant wait to end it with the TOS gang, and should have just left it there, rather than what came after it.

Its a great film, very enjoyable and a good watch. Great narrative, and I love the amount Shakespeare's work appears in it. Christopher Plummer was excellent throughout.
Bamarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
marksound
Fleet Captain

TUC is my favorite of the TOS films, with TWOK a close 2nd.

As for character flaws, the crew was due to stand down but were thrust into a diplomatic nightmare. They had been the best of the best for ~30 years and were ready to retire.

Just wait until you're that age. You'll be a little grumpy too.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Given the choice I'd watch that every time over the others.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:49 PM   #9
lurok
Commodore

Way, way overrated. I like Valeris, great score, and it's ok-ish for the first third-half. But once it gets to the trial and Rura Penthe...zzzzz. Yes, it's a better send-off than Five, but Five is much more fun.
Old November 5 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

TUC is my second fave after TWoK. It's underrated if anything.
Old November 5 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
sonak
Vice Admiral

underrated?

It's very highly regarded, as one of the "good even-filmed" TOS movies, and is well-reviewed by professional critics.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Dream
Admiral

TUC is actually really well liked.

Can you imagine if TFF had been the last movie for TOS cast?
Old November 5 2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

sonak's transporter ghost wrote: View Post
underrated?

It's very highly regarded, as one of the "good even-filmed" TOS movies, and is well-reviewed by professional critics.

I look no further than the posts thusfar in this thread and I'm quite comfortable saying that TUC is underrated.

If even one person is saying that STV was the superior effort, then STVI is underrated.

Old November 5 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

One of the best, I'd probably rank it right behind Wrath of Khan.
Old November 5 2012, 10:52 PM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
I'd place it as my second favorite. From what I've seen(that movie list favorite thread comes to mind), most people will put UC in their top three.
Pretty much. As long as I can remember TUC has been next to only TWOK as far as universally-beloved TOS films go.

But on the other hand, Amasov may have a point in that the film outside of Trekdom probably doesn't have the resonance that TWOK, TVH, FC and XI. have enjoyed.

Last edited by Kegg; November 5 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote