Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 9 2012, 08:28 AM   #46
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Labeouf Wants 18 Million To Return To Transformers 4

Dream wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Patrick Stewart was paid $14 million for ST Nemesis. Now that's a tragedy. Based on the commercial success of Transformers $18 million for a lead would be dirt cheap.
Take away Patrick Stewart from TNG films and no one would see them.
When Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted many thought that the fans wouldn't watch a series with Star Trek in the title without the original actors on board. Twenty-five seasons of television without them later, that's obviously turned out to be false.

Now, Paramount certainly thought Stewart was integral to the series. They gave him script approval of at least one film and significant pay raises from what he was earning as a television star.

But the only way to know if fans would skip a Star Trek: The Next Generation film without Patrick Stewart would be to release one; obviously, that's not going to happen. You're speaking definitively about something that's entirely hypothetical.

I will say one thing, though: if the Bourne series can be successful without Matt Damon (The Bourne Legacy had worldwide grosses on par with all but the third film in the series), anything is possible.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 04:08 PM   #47
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
I will say one thing, though: if the Bourne series can be successful without Matt Damon (The Bourne Legacy had worldwide grosses on par with all but the third film in the series), anything is possible.
But, this is not entirely true. I saw the trailer for that film with I went to see TDK this summer, and Jason Bourne was plastered all over it. He was in the trailer just as much, if not more, than Jeremy Renner's character. I personally thought Matt Damon was going to make an appearance in the film until I read somewhere later that he wasn't going to. So, I think the film was definitely riding coattails. Still, I do hope they team up in the next one if there is a next one, and if Legacy is any good. I haven't seen it yet, but I probably will.

I would say that the Bourne series is surviving without Matt Damon, not succeeding, because every movie until Legacy was more successful than the last. In box office receipts, Legacy is a regression.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 06:29 PM   #48
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Can anybody older the 13 enjoy those movies?
I went and saw the first transformers movie the day after I got married and enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old November 9 2012, 07:17 PM   #49
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Can anybody older the 13 enjoy those movies?
As long as I remember to turn my brain off, first, then hell yes. The Transformers film franchise is fun, mindless, eye candy. The like the cars, I like the wonderful visual f/x. I don't pretend that it's high brow cinema. Sometimes I like simple entertainment.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 09:01 PM   #50
Harvey
Admiral

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
I would say that the Bourne series is surviving without Matt Damon, not succeeding, because every movie until Legacy was more successful than the last. In box office receipts, Legacy is a regression.
It made back its budget; Universal says there will be a sequel. Financially, it wasn't as successful as The Bourne Ultimatum, but it surpassed the worldwide receipts of the first film and was about on par with the second. The movie (which, admittedly, I haven't seen) did fine.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 09:14 PM   #51
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ The first Transformers (live action) film is one of my favorite movies ever made. So I would say yes, since I'm 42.
I prefer the third one, the Transformers have more to do in it.

Between the cinema, 3D Blu-ray and satelite broadcasts (which I can get on my phone) I must have seen it more than 5 times already.

Which would certainly put it up in the favorites or guilty pleasures for me.
Old November 9 2012, 09:39 PM   #52
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Thinking that The Beef was one of the primary draws for these movies was part of the problem to begin with, and why we were saddled with way too much of his misadventures at home, school, and work instead of more giant robots fighting.

Hopefully they don't think the ability to scream every line of dialogue, 90% of which was "Woah! Woah! Woah! Woah!" and "OPTIMUS!!!," is worth $18 million dollars and just recast the role or write a new one.
Old November 9 2012, 10:12 PM   #53
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Have the next one open with Optimus accidentally stepping on him.
Old November 9 2012, 10:17 PM   #54
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

So it will be "Woah, woah, woah, woah, Optimu...! [Squish]." That works for me.
Old November 9 2012, 10:23 PM   #55
Aragorn
Admiral

The actors in the Transformers movies were not the main draw. Naturally they got bigger paychecks as the sequels went on since that's just how the business operates, but $18 million for Shia would be a waste of money.

It's like how studios viewed Gerard Butler after the success of 300 and now he's headlining one crappy underperforming movie after another.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 11:03 PM   #56
Agent Richard07
Retired

Looks like Mark Wahlberg will replace Shia in Transformers 4.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 11:43 PM   #57
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Labeouf might be the most disposable star of a major franchise of all-time.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 12:10 AM   #58
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

That's about the only actor I dislike more than Labeouf. Amazing.
Old November 11 2012, 05:32 PM   #59
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
It made back its budget; Universal says there will be a sequel. Financially, it wasn't as successful as The Bourne Ultimatum, but it surpassed the worldwide receipts of the first film and was about on par with the second. The movie (which, admittedly, I haven't seen) did fine.
And I'm not arguing with any of this at all because it is not in contradiction with what I said. Yes, it made back its budget. Yes, it turned a profit. Yes, the franchise of Bourne movies is going on. But no, it is not carrying on with the trend of each movie doing better than the last.

And surpassing the gross receipts of the first movie isn't much of a success when it's riding off of its success and that of the other 2 movies that came afterward. The first movie had to make it on its own. Anyway, I look forward to seeing Legacy when it comes out on DVD.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 05:43 PM   #60
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Transformers: The Witwicky Legacy

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote