Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2012, 08:10 PM   #31
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile
Re: World War Z officially a train wreck

Frau Blucher wrote: View Post
I just thought I would ask y'know, because the arguments seem a little like complaining when phaser beams are the wrong colour or vampires sparkle in sunlight.
I have never seen a vampire sparkle in real life.
Old November 7 2012, 09:18 PM   #32
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

I like how walking dead handles them. The "fresh" zombies are faster than ones who have been around a while.
Old November 7 2012, 09:38 PM   #33
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I just thought I would ask y'know, because the arguments seem a little like complaining when phaser beams are the wrong colour or vampires sparkle in sunlight.
This isn't an aesthetic difference.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:47 PM   #34
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
What isn't?
Old November 7 2012, 09:48 PM   #35
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

It suits the story they want to tell. Zombies used to be creeping death, now they're a fast spreading pandemic. Things change.
Old November 7 2012, 09:50 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

What isn't?
The Zombie behavior in that clip appears to suggest them working together strategically as a group, which would inolve the Zombies being intelligent. Intelligent Zombies using strategy, goes overboard for some of us. Zombies should be driven by hunger and instinct, and without the ability to strategize

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 10:01 PM   #37
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

Sindatur wrote: View Post
What isn't?
The Zombie behavior in that clip appears to suggest them working together strategically as a group, which would inolve the Zombies being intelligent. Intelligent Zombies using strategy, goes overboard for some of us. Zombies should be driven by hunger and instinct, and without the ability to strategize
Depends on the story in the film doesn't it? There may very well be a reason for that within the film that you can't discern from a 40 second clip.
Old November 7 2012, 10:14 PM   #38
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

Depends on the story in the film doesn't it? There may very well be a reason for that within the film that you can't discern from a 40 second clip.
Or, it's a great visual teaser for the film but will have absolutely nothing to do with the actual plot other than Brad Pitt is in the film.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 10:28 PM   #39
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Still don't understand why that automatically makes it a train wreck, official or otherwise.
Old November 7 2012, 10:31 PM   #40
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Have you ever read Wet Work by Philip Nutman? It has zombies that are like that. Some of them are the standard slow shuffling Romero type, some are the fast Zack Snyder type, and some of them retain all of their intelligence and personality and (hunger for living flesh notwithstanding) are basically indistinguishable from the living. They can think, talk, drive cars, put on new clothes, organize ambushes using guns, etc. Those smart zombies even take over the government, and rename it the United States of Hell...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 10:36 PM   #41
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Still don't understand why that automatically makes it a train wreck, official or otherwise.
A general comparison likely to the Walking Dead, it's huge popularity and also there has been so much bad press about this film thus far.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:14 PM   #42
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm a huge fan of the fast zombies from 28 Days Later and the Dawn remake... but yeah, the zombies in that clip are just moving way too ridiculously fast.

Kinda reminds me of something from the Mummy movies.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:16 PM   #43
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Have you ever read Wet Work by Philip Nutman? It has zombies that are like that. Some of them are the standard slow shuffling Romero type, some are the fast Zack Snyder type, and some of them retain all of their intelligence and personality and (hunger for living flesh notwithstanding) are basically indistinguishable from the living. They can think, talk, drive cars, put on new clothes, organize ambushes using guns, etc. Those smart zombies even take over the government, and rename it the United States of Hell...
Calling something a zombie, doesn't make it so. Whether they be slow and shuffling, or fast and aggressive, risen from the grave, infected with an exotic contagion or ensorcelled by a Voodoo witchdoctor; a zombie's inherent mindlessness has consistently been it's defining characteristic.

What you're describing is more along the lines of the classic pulp cannibalistic mutant. A modern interpretation of the old cultural fear of the savage. A human threat, not a monster in human form.

Last edited by Reverend; November 7 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:17 PM   #44
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Nope, haven't read it, but, smart Zombies (Even Bud from Day of the Dead, who barely has any smarts) have never appealed to me, other than in Fido where they are used comedically as slaves. I personally didn't say this movie is officially a train wreck because of the smart Zombies, but, the more information that comes out, the more concerned I am this isn't a movie I'm interested in.

Sterotypically, when someone is walking around half dazed and unable to think (Haven't had their first cup of coffee, not a morning person and takes thm a cople hours to wake up...) people are referred to as Zombies, not because they are trying to eat you, but, because they are aren't thinking, so, it is definitely accepted as a defining characteristic of a Zombie to be unthinking

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:23 PM   #45
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Actually, I can think of a scenario where that would be justified. If the zombies were animated by a virus or nanotech that operates as a collective organism to run an individual body, then they could theoretically communicate between bodies and a group of zombies could operate as one organism. I don't think that approach would be appropriate for World War Z, but it would be an interesting idea to pursue in another venue.