Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 27 2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Re: Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy wrote: View Post
I just realised that the himalaya-class runabouts are named after mountains just like the danube-class ones are all named after rivers!

Strange how much of a kick I get out of that!
Gotten over your 'uber-nerd' complaint about pre-2360s runabouts then?
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Angry Fanboy
Lieutenant Commander

Angry Fanboy

Yes Sandy I've worked my way through the issue I had with the runabouts.

Really enjoying this so far Bry, loving the build-up to launch and looking forward to seeing the Juno 'boldly going' and all that!
Angry Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Wilderness - A Little Taster

I was originally just going to have Rhyth borrow one to pick up Keller and then return it, but I got to thinking that it would actually be very useful on a deep range mission, allowing them to split up from time to time so as to cover more ground.

As for the pre-2360s matter, I still think that the runabout-type would have been around for a while, with the Danube-Class being the newest in a long line of small modular auxiliary craft available on stations and ships.
Old November 30 2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Forward Observation Deck, U.S.S. Nash
On approach to Earth
Stardate: 35011.8 (January 5th 2358)

The Nash was an old ship which had seen decades of service, but due to her rugged design and reliability the Sydney-Class transport was still going strong. Oleyn Daro sat at one of the tables in the forward observation deck, watching the stars streak past. They would be arriving in the Sol System within the hour, but she had packed and checked out of her guest cabin, her luggage waited in the small hold beside the transport bay ready for her to pick up and beam over to the Juno, until then however she had nothing left to do.

The eight day trip from Starbase Omicron had given her plenty of time to go over the service records for her new staff, allocate them to teams and shifts, then draw up a training programme for the next three months. As she been doing that she’d read up on the specifications and records for the Cheyenne-Class ship and found it to be capable, if still untested away from support and reinforcements—but she would ensure that the ship came through the mission in one piece. This would be her first posting as Security Chief and she relished the chance to make her mark on the mission.

“Morning Oleyn,” a smooth male voice almost purred from behind her.

Without look away from the viewport before her, she replied, “Morning Xal.”

Xal Ra-Vahlei moved around to the seat opposite her and eased himself into her. Her new shipmate had come aboard at Omicron and after a chance encounter in the cafeteria, they had started sharing meals and partaking of the recreational facilities the transport had to offer. She found the young Efrosian to be very easy-going and had enjoyed the opportunity to talk about her new assignment with someone who she would be sharing the journey with. One thing that had surprised her about him was when she found him in the gym, eager for a spar. She had obliged and at first taken things easy on him, but he’d proven to be a tougher opponent than she’d given him credit for, so had pulled out all the stops. She won (of course), but he was lasting longer and longer each day, learning her style and techniques, which only forced her to be better. She could only hope that their sessions continued once they got to the Juno.

“Not long now,” he said with an eager grin on his youthful face. It was customary for Efrosians (some kind of religious practice or cultural right, she wasn’t sure which) to let their hair grow and for males to sport long moustaches however Ra-Vahlei had neither, which made him look even younger than his twenty-four years.

“I take it your packed and ready.”

“Meh, I’ll do it when we get into orbit,” he told her, slouching a little further in the chair.

She rolled her eyes and tutted good-naturedly, which made her companion chuckle. “At least tell me you’ve read up on the ship and your new crew.”

“That I’ve done. I want to see how the Juno compares to the Victory, four nacelles cause more problems than you’d think, so I’m keen to see if the designers got it right this time.”

“That’s something I suppose. One good thing about having a mission out on the frontier, it’ll take months to get there to begin. By the time we’re in the wilderness we’ll be ready for whatever comes our way.”

He looked over at her, an eyebrow raised on his ridged forehead. “You’re very sure of yourself. Don’t humans have a saying about pride before a fall?”

“It’s a good thing I’m not human then, isn’t it?”

Ra-Vahlei chuckled again. “I know. They have such weak craniums and flimsy necks,” he stated with a mock shudder.

She laughed softly. After it passed they sat in comfortable silence, watching as a tiny blue dot rapidly grew in size as the Nash passed through the system at three-quarters impulse. It wouldn’t take them long to reach Earth, when each of them would assume their new roles and begin a mission many others would do anything to have.

As Earth grew in the viewport, she couldn’t help but remember the first time she’d seen the capitol of the Federation, eleven years ago from a ship very similar to the Nash, when she’d been heading to the Academy for her freshman year. She had seen plenty of images of the planet but never with her own eyes, and had been surprised at how small it looked and how so much of it was water, so unlike Bolarus. Even though the sight was new to her, she couldn’t quell the excitement and anticipation about it held for her; Starfleet Academy and the life she had always wanted.

The dot was soon a planet, surrounded by activity, as ships came and went from orbit or the many stations around the blue-green marble. Their angle of approach allowed them to catch a glimpse of the San Francisco Fleet Yards, in geosynchronous orbit around the city they were named for. Daro couldn’t make out the Juno, but she knew it was there, filled with new opportunities and challenges.

Looking at her companion, she saw him perk up on seeing the fleet yards. As cool and collected as he was trying to appear, he was as excited as she was. She couldn’t help but smile and wonder how many of their shipmates were in the same boat.

The intercom chirped pleasantly. “All passengers, we are making our approach to Earth. For those with transporter passes, please report to rooms one through four. For all other passengers, we will be docking at Spacedock Seven in thirty minutes. Thank you.”

Daro took one last look at Earth, then across the table at Ra-Vahlei. “That’s us. We’d better get going—you still have to pack.”

He gave her a mock salute. “Aye-aye sir.”

They chuckled as they both stood up and headed for the exit.

END
Old December 5 2012, 08:01 AM   #20
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Bridge, Deck 5, U.S.S. Juno
San Francisco Fleet Yards, Earth
Stardate: 35028.6 (January 11th 2358)

The Bridge of the Juno was larger than Saul Keller had expected when he’d first come onboard, but then again he also found it odd that it wasn’t on deck one—due to the dorsal section of the secondary hull. The Captain’s chair was in the centre of the Bridge, flanked on either side by two seats, one for him and the other for Counsellor Aewyhn to use whenever he was on the deck, behind the three chairs, was tactical, where Lieutenant Daro stood. At the back of the Bridge were four consoles and the MSD, two science posts on the starboard side whilst environmental and engineering were to port, as well as two exits, one leading to the observation lounge and another to a turbolift. To the front of the deck were flight control and operations, manned by Lieutenants Ra-Vahlei and Jorr respectively, and before them was the viewscreen. To Keller’s right was another turbolift, whilst opposite was the ready room.

He had been onboard for seven days, but still wasn’t comfortable. None of the crew had said anything, but he had no doubt that rumours were aplenty about his past and what had happened, as well as how he came to be onboard. He wouldn’t let that bother him though; his rank and position would be respected, even if he wasn’t. There had been a lot of reading up to do on the mission, ship and crew, so he hadn’t had the chance to interact with them, even his time with the senior staff had been brief, all of them too busy to really have a chance to get to know each other. That would come, seeing as they had six months travel at high warp to even reach the sector where their mission would start.

With their departure time only minutes away, the Bridge was bustling and the excitement level was palatable. Every console was manned, with almost all of the senior staff at their posts—the most notable exception being Rhyth. She had gone for one final inspection of Engineering and had said she’d be back in plenty of time, but had yet to reappear. So he supervised the last minute prep needed prior to leaving dock, but kept a watchful eye on the turbolifts.

He glanced for the forward lift and then the aft for the thirtieth time, but as he turned his attention back to the viewscreen, he caught Aewyhn smiling slightly. Keller gave the Enayan a serious look for a moment, which he returned with a look of serenity. Though he didn’t know the man, Keller got the impression that there wasn’t much that could rattle his cage.

Turning his attention back to their preparations, he focused on ops. “Lieutenant Jorr, secure all connectors with dry-dock and retract gangways.”

“Connectors secure,” the Tellarite replied simply. “Gangways retracted.”

To Keller’s right the doors opened and the tall blonde figure of Captain Linna Rhyth strolled calmly onto the deck, her long legs bare as she’d favoured the skant-style uniform today. She gave him a warm smile as she made her way to the command arena, took her seat and crossed her legs. She took a moment to check the displays on her armrests, then looked at him.

“Don’t let me stop you, Commander.”

He gave her a curt nod. “Lieutenant Daro, clear our departure with the dock master.”

It took the Bolian a moment to relay the request and get a response. “Docking control has cleared up.”

He tapped the intercom. “Engineering, ready thrusters and have impulse on standby.”

“Ready here, Commander,” Alden responded from Main Engineering.

“Lieutenant Ra-Vahlei, lay in the course and clear all moorings.”

“Course laid in. All moorings cleared.”

“Aft thrusters at two-thirds, port and starboard at station keeping.”

“Engines ready,” the Efrosian conn officer confirmed.

Keller looked at Rhyth and gestured for her to continue, this was her ship after all. Her smile widened and she sat a little further forward on her chair.

“Engage.”

One little word started off a chain reaction. The spidery arms of the dry-dock fell away from the viewscreen as the thrusters eased them forward. As the dock was left behind them, the blue-green marble they had been orbiting fell away as the ship turned to port and headed out. Once clear of the station and the planet the impulse engines were powered up and within minutes they were barrelling out towards the outer edge of the system, passing shuttles and ships heading for Earth—a world they wouldn’t see for the next six years. Their mission, whatever they would discover, whoever they would contact, had begun.

It wasn’t until they had passed Uranus, free of all the gravity wells and traffic within the Sol System, that Captain Rhyth ordered the warp drive to be readied. Warp eight would see them reach their destination in six months, and from there they had five years to go places no one else in Starfleet had tread, speak to people who had never heard of the Federation, make a lasting contribution to the history books.

Their new mission and his chance at redemption were at hand.

END
Old December 5 2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Captain’s Ready Room, Deck 5, U.S.S. Juno
Sector 79999
Stardate: 35486.7 (June 27th 2358)

Linna Rhyth sat in her office on the port side of the Bridge, trying to figure out exactly what she would say. It wasn’t long until they reached the beginning of their mission, a moment that would need to be commemorated by a speech or some other kind of gesture, but at that moment in time she was stuck for ideas.

It wasn’t her style, being far more practically minded; she’d rather just get stuck in and work on something than stand back and waffle, it was what had worked for her throughout her career (including commanding the Tian An Men) so she intended to carry on in the same manner onboard the Juno, but for this moment on their mission she knew that it couldn’t go by without making a point about it—she just had no idea what that point was.

The door chimed, giving her a start as she was too focused on the blank display.

“Enter,” she called, not looking up from her screen.

“Tick-tock Linna,” Keller said as he approached her desk.

“Not funny, Saul,” she warned her old friend. “Part of me keeps wondering if anyone will actually be expecting an announcement or not, and that I’m just working myself up over nothing.”

Keller perched himself on the edge of her desk. “Lin, just do what feels natural. There’s no point in giving a long awkward address, when something quick and simple will do just as well.”

She looked up at her handsome friend, an eyebrow raised. “When did you become so wise?”

He smiled sweetly at her. “I’m not just a pretty face you know,” he informed her, batting his eyelashes.

It made her laugh and sit back—only then did she discover a knot of tense muscle that had formed at the bottom of her spine, an obvious sign of how worked up she’d gotten herself. As she massaged the sore spot she couldn’t help but smile at Keller. He knew her too well, despite only seeing one another infrequently in recent years, the close-knit friendship they had formed during their time at the Academy remained and over the last six months she had enjoyed catching up with him and re-establishing the bond they shared—all of which proved to her that he was the perfect man for the job.

“So, after you’ve given the crew a memorable and stirring speech, shall we grab a bite to eat?”

“You know, I can have you thrown into an escape pod and jettisoned—which I may just do if you keep up that comedy routine.”

He held up his hands in a mock surrender. “Noted for future reference.”

Just then her terminal chirped, indicating they were about to enter Sector 80000. In a few light-minutes they would be further than any Starfleet ship had been before.

Rising from her chair, she flicked her long, straight hair off her shoulder and looked at Keller, who had gotten off her desk and standing at attention. He flashed her a quick smile and she led them out of the ready room and onto the Bridge.

Jorr and Ra-Vahlei were at ops and conn, Aewyhn sat in the portside seat in the command arena, Daro stood at the tactical console behind, whilst at the aft consoles Matheson was joined by Lieutenant Paulson, Ensign Codi, Lieutenant Kerlisa and Ensign Sirili. Keller moved ahead of her and took his seat. She went and stood between the forward stations for a moment, glancing at their position on the navigational display. If she was going to do anything, it had to be now. Taking a breath she moved to the front of the deck, which brought all eyes to focus upon her.

“Mr Jorr, address intercraft.”

The boatswain’s whistle sounded. “All hands, this is Captain Rhyth,” she began. “We all know how valuable our mission is, what it will mean for the future of Starfleet and the Federation. In a couple of minutes we will be going further than any Starfleet ship has in this region, so we will be making history with every light-year.

“It’s time for us to get down to work, to do what we all signed on for,” she turned towards the viewscreen. “Let’s see what’s out there.”

END
Old December 5 2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Ok, that's the end of this little taster for the crew of the Juno.

I would like to return to them, as I have a couple ideas of how things might go on their mission, from births to deaths to great discoveries to terrible battles. I'll just have to see how things go.

Thanks to all those who've taken the time to read this little story, I hope you've enjoyed it.

Brydon
Old December 8 2012, 02:09 PM   #23
CeJay
Commodore

Caught up with this and really enjoyed it. I too love the era you've chosen here. There is a certain innocence and excitement about Starfleet here which will get lost in the coming years thanks to the Borg and the Dominion. Also ... skants!! Incredibly impractical but totally awesome.

I would love to read more of Juno, even though I can't say that I dig the name. I know she's named after mythology and an early NASA spacecraft but the only thing I keep thinking off when I see that name is a pregnant teen girl with a funny vocabulary.

Still, there aren't many original fanfics that explore this timeframe or focus on the Starfleet charter of going where no man has gone before. I'd read any further adventures for sure.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Thanks CeJay.

Part of the reason I chose this era was the fact that we all know what happens, but at the time no one could imagine the likes of the Borg or the Jem'Hadar.

As for skants, in my head all of the main characters (and I do mean all) will wear one at least once in their adventures. My 24th century men aren't above showing a bit of thigh

As for the name I'm not sure what I was thinking, it popped into my head from somewhere and just kinda stuck. Though seeing as how I never watched the film it doesn't cause any kind of pop culture reaction to me anyway.

This really is to be an adventure tale (if/when I continue it), that focuses on exploration in a very TNG way, where they meet species and resolves issues though discussion and drama rather than phasers and Borg 'implants' . I already have a few ideas of where I'd take some of the characters, with some little fun things, other more serious changes and a few twists along the way.

We'll see what 2013 brings. Of course if people really want to see more, bribes will be accepted