New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade Blood & Chrome...
Excellent 43 34.96%
Above Average 53 43.09%
Average 24 19.51%
Below Average 3 2.44%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 30 2012, 06:17 AM   #286
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It'd be kind of interesting to see the Cylon mad scientist who had to come up with these things, too.

Or maybe it's just a deranged human working with them.
Too bad the character couldn't be played by John Calicos. It'd be too perfect!
Old November 30 2012, 09:45 AM   #287
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Or that old dude from Razor (I like the theory that it could be Graystone, btw...)
Graystone would be great!
Old November 30 2012, 03:42 PM   #288
Kegg
Rear Admiral

So Episodes 7&8.

There can be a fair criticism of the series that it feels a little videogamey with all the CGI and the focus on killing things, but I think episode 7's weird snowy nighttime reprieve with two soldiers drinking by a piano was just the variation it needed. There may honestly not be a lot of substance here, but it's a webseries, and B&C has been doing pretty solid by those standards.

The Cylon screaming in pain is one of those things that baffle me (why would machines program pain to work the same way as it does with humans?) but it's no better or worse than how the series has consistently portrayed Cylon 'evolution', frankly.

There's clearly something up with their mission leader. I'm expecting some kind of twist as to her real purpose here - monotheist conspiracy, or dealing with defectors, or something probably more interesting and better written than those examples.

Next week this all ends. Pity, it's been nice to return to BSG.
Old November 30 2012, 04:19 PM   #289
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Kegg wrote: View Post
So Episodes 7&8.
The Cylon screaming in pain is one of those things that baffle me (why would machines program pain to work the same way as it does with humans?) but it's no better or worse than how the series has consistently portrayed Cylon 'evolution', frankly.
I'm sure it has something to do with Resurrection (the process, not the ship) that was dealt with in Caprica. I could hypothesize that *inside* Cylons are digital copies of human souls, just like with Zoe Graystone.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old November 30 2012, 04:35 PM   #290
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Resurrection would be a nice tie-in to both Caprica and nBSG. Speaking of which, I'm wondering if the mission leader isn't doing what she's doing because of her dead hubby - trying to somehow resurrect him. Especially after that V-world comment.
Old November 30 2012, 06:24 PM   #291
Saul
Rear Admiral

The Cylon screaming in pain is one of those things that baffle me (why would machines program pain to work the same way as it does with humans?)
They might want to be closer to humans and living creatures and feel pain. Feeling pain makes them want to protect their own lives more. Fight harder against the enemy.
Old November 30 2012, 09:50 PM   #292
pst
Lieutenant Commander

Saul wrote: View Post

The Cylon screaming in pain is one of those things that baffle me (why would machines program pain to work the same way as it does with humans?)
They might want to be closer to humans and living creatures and feel pain. Feeling pain makes them want to protect their own lives more. Fight harder against the enemy.
totally agree. why would they want to replace their robotic bodies with fragile flesh and blood? they have a bizarre desire to be human....

anyone want to hazard a guess what these centurions even are? i kept expecting husker to ask what they hell they are, but nope... maybe in the blu-ray.
Old November 30 2012, 10:30 PM   #293
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

My guess is that they may be a centurion-class hybrid experiment with some organic goo for internal workings - possibly with a simple organic brain to be able to think in trinary - "yes", "no" and "maybe", to emulate advanced artificial intelligence.
Old November 30 2012, 11:04 PM   #294
pst
Lieutenant Commander

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
My guess is that they may be a centurion-class hybrid experiment with some organic goo for internal workings - possibly with a simple organic brain to be able to think in trinary - "yes", "no" and "maybe", to emulate advanced artificial intelligence.
...maybe.

my thought was that they were another intermediary step between what we saw in caprica and what we saw in BSG. like the first generation of cylons to be constructed by cylon and not human hands.
Old December 1 2012, 10:18 AM   #295
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

So the metal centurions can feel pain? I didn't see any organic components on them so I guess it's programmed in. Interesting to hear them "cry". Made me feel kind of sorry for them. Some are complaining that they don't look like the original models from Razor but maybe these are combat forms and the others are pilot forms.

What was up with the cylon scanning Becca's tag? Do the cylons remember her as one of their programmers and see her as a mother? Is her mission to try and make peace with them and the tag helps identify her to them?

Good to see The Adama Maneuver (beating a cylon to death with a metal pipe) make an appearance. First Leoban in the miniseries, then the centurion in Razor, now a centurion in B&C.

I can't wait to see what their mission actually is and if we will see any proto-skinjobs.
Old December 1 2012, 04:09 PM   #296
The Wormhole
Admiral

Episodes 7 and 8 were rather meh. Adama and Beka finally get it on after endless build up. We get a nice character moment with Coker playing the piano. But, I don't know, something was lacking. And the Cylon screaming in pain and bleeding oil was a bit much.

Also, the pipe Adama beat that Cylon with looked too small to be threatening. Yes, I noticed it was supposed to be electromagnetic since it seemed to electrocute the centurion with each impact, but still.
Old December 1 2012, 09:28 PM   #297
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

The sex scene was obviously left out. It'll probably be on the blu-ray in February.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old December 2 2012, 01:56 AM   #298
The Wormhole
Admiral

Snowy Roshi wrote: View Post
The sex scene was obviously left out. It'll probably be on the blu-ray in February.
I actually preferred the way it played out in the webisode, the two of them laying it thickly with the double entedres and then jumping ahead to afterwards. I thought it paced better than if we had seen the actual sex. But maybe that's just me. Don't worry, I won't be a buzzkill and bitch about seeing titties on the blu-ray, even if it does compromise the artistic inegrity of the scene. Or something.
Old December 2 2012, 04:03 AM   #299
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

It feels like this storyline is just moving along without much time to explain things.
Old December 2 2012, 05:45 AM   #300
Kaijima
Captain

I'm under the impression that the OG chrome toaster centurions from Razor were supposed to be human constructed models, from that generation - they would have been the advanced production versions of the oversized prototype battle robot frame from Caprica. With martial, regal styling to denote them as formally part of a (human controlled) Cylon armed forces.

Likewise, the original "pie plate" basestars seem like they were the original human designed Cylon carrier ships. The tri-star basestar we saw take on Osiris in Blood & Chrome is likely one of the first Cylon-designed ships. Likewise, the centurions seen in these episodes are the first post-toaster centurion models. They drop the pretense of serving human sensibilities and human vanity.

As to just what kind of mind is in these things, it's possible that they're copies of human mindstates, just mass produced. It was almost insinuated in Caprica. The original Graystone industries Cylon "products", both civilian and military models, were possibly stamped out by copying a few master AI chips that had human derived personalities in them. Therefore, while they were never actually real people, all the Cylons fighting in the war have human like intelligence and perhaps their own personal projection of reality. How they see themselves.

The business about feeling pain could be an inevitable side effect of the kind of AIs they are. Perhaps the minds, based on human minds, suffer from virtual neural connections to the components of the robot bodies.

As for wanting to be organic / human, remember that what the Cylons want freedom from is oppression and being used as disposable people. The First Cylon herself wanted to be human again and didn't see the joy in remaining an iron plated robot. It hasn't been revealed just what connection she has, if any, to the rebellion. Could it be that the Cylons, before the arrival of the Five and the manipulation of Cavil, wished to find some form of hybrid form that allowed them to feel some form of humanity while preserving their mechanical advantages?