Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 5 2012, 05:07 AM   #16
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: A Few Words About Elementary...

truespock wrote: View Post

Never mind the scruffy pre-beard growth that is perpetually on his face. I realize that they're just ripping off Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal in the recent movies because it's probably too much trouble to have come up with a 'look' of their own, but the copious tattooing on Miller's torso and arms was WAY off the mark! Refer to the Sidney Paget drawings from the original stories to get an idea of what Holmes is SUPPOSED to look like.
Did you consider the possibility that those tattoos are Miller's? They may have decided to incorporate the actor's tattoos into the show. They're pretty elaborate so I don't see them taking the time to do it in make up every episode. I think you can see them often. I'm not sure though because i pay way more attention to Lucy Liu's appearance than I do Miller's. She very pretty. I think she's doing a good job as Watson.

So Holmes doesn't look like he did in some old drawings? Big deal. How boring would it be if in every version of the Holmes character he looked the same? Why even bother making a new version of Holmes if it's the same as the other versions? You could just watch the "original" ad naseum.

Last edited by Enterprise is Great; November 5 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
And the capstone....

Another twist. This time Watson's a Woman.

Sigh.
I will never understand why anyone would think that's a bad thing, or even a big deal. If it were a period piece, sure, that would be a problem. Female doctors in the late 1800s would've been quite rare, and the original Holmes was a devout misogynist, so it just wouldn't have worked. But in this day and age, why the heck not? How is that even an issue anymore?

Although I do find it commendable that nobody's complaining about Watson being Chinese-American.

And yes, Miller's tattoos are real. It's hardly the first time that an actor's real-life tattoos or other attributes have been written into their character.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I've quite enjoy this take on Homes and Watson so far. I think one of the best things done on this show is the slow gradual build up of the friendship between the two leads. We didnt get the standard ok we are really pals now after one show nonsense. Each episode is building on the previous as well as moving the murder of the week story forward. Now if we can only get Moriarty worked into this show near the end of the season I would be quite happy.
As for Watson, her gender and ethnicity are a non issue. They dont apply to the story. As long as we dont have her doing any wire-fu things will be just fine.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

^Does Holmes really need Moriarty, though? Moriarty's a character who's mainly important in adaptations. He barely appears at all in the original canon -- he's retconned into existence in "The Final Problem" in order to be the guy who kills Holmes, and is a behind-the-scenes player in The Valley of Fear, as well as getting referenced in passing in a few other stories. Other than that, nothing. He was kind of an afterthought in the original canon, and it's only in film and TV adaptations and literary pastiches that he's become a big deal.

Still, I'm sure it's inevitable he'll show up eventually here. And I'd wager that the mysterious woman from Holmes's past will turn out to be Irene Adler.

Old November 5 2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The obvious rebuke to all criticisms of the show is to point to the ratings. CBS crafted a series that would appeal to the CBS viewer. To expect them to do otherwise is ridiculous. They are not in business to lose money.

Compare Elementary's decent ratings to the crash-and-burn situation for most new shows this year - the failure rate is worse than ever - and the wisdom of CBS's approch becomes even more evident.

If the show does ot appeal to you, the reason why is simple: you are not a CBS viewer and therefore they didn't make the show for you. People need to get over this notion that everything on TV is being made for them. In reality, only a small percentage is being made to suit any given taste, and the more specific your tastes, the less you will find to watch.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Wow. All that vitriol in the original post.

Frankly, I'm just happy to see Lucy Liu playing a character that isn't a psycho sex goddess just like she's been playing since Ally McBeal. I like the show just fine.

-Tom Clancy
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:51 PM   #22
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
If the show does ot appeal to you, the reason why is simple: you are not a CBS viewer and therefore they didn't make the show for you.
Old November 5 2012, 08:04 PM   #23
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Cor, some harsh words about the superb Nigel Bruce there.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 11:06 PM   #24
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Good news. Elementary just scored the coveted post Super Bowl slot: http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/cbs-...per-bowl-slot/
Old November 5 2012, 11:19 PM   #25
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I watched the pilot of Elementary and I didn't care for it at all, it just seemed like someone took an unused Monk script and just changed a couple of elements (I know, Monk was basically Sherlock Holmes). I have no problem with the actors, or with Watson being a female, and I suppose I should give it another chance since things are often changed after the pilot, and maybe I will if I have nothing better to do. In the meantime, I'll stick with the BBC's version.
Old November 5 2012, 11:20 PM   #26
stj
Rear Admiral

I would believe that Jonny Lee Miller's Holmes would lay down his life to stop a Morariaty. Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes? I would wonder why he wouldn't partner up. Getting overwrought about Elementary after the BBC turned Holmes into a psychopath (which is indistinguishable from a sociopath, notwithstanding a particular stupid line. No matter how beloved it is.) is gagging on a gnat after swallowing a camel. (Some criticisms are so lame that only a cliche can properly dismiss them.)

If you don't like Lucy Liu, you won't like Elementary. Enough said, and the rest of this is overkill.
Old November 6 2012, 01:24 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Kirby wrote: View Post
I watched the pilot of Elementary and I didn't care for it at all...
I'd say the pilot was the weakest episode so far. It's gotten a lot better.

Old November 6 2012, 02:27 AM   #28
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
I watched the pilot of Elementary and I didn't care for it at all...
I'd say the pilot was the weakest episode so far. It's gotten a lot better.

I'll agree. I don't like to give up on a show after a couple of episodes, but the pilot had me thinking. Not that I actually disliked anything specifically, there was just something lacking. I'm glad to see it improved, although, I'm still on the fence.
Old November 6 2012, 03:21 PM   #29
truespock
Lieutenant

So, I've posted a passionate and detailed piece depicting 'Elementary' as a poorly cast, thinly veiled and tedious 'SCI' retread, typical in every way of the infantile morass that is modern American television. I made many of the same points which had already been made in another thread on the same subject, having failed to notice that thread before posting. I've indicated clearly that I am speaking as a Holmes fan, NOT a CBS fan, but have had my opinion characterized as "a flimsy and verbose wall of words about nothing, indicative of an arrogant and egocentric fanboy's depressing sense of self-entitlement" who's "posting style" appears to rub a substantial number of you the wrong way.

What the matter, kiddies? Am I speaking above your reading level?!
truespock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:38 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^And that's the sound of the last shreds of your credibility gurgling down the drain.