MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 6 2012, 04:42 PM   #91
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

^Yeah, I hate when you go out to eat with a group, and the guy that orders the steak and lobster and top shelf cocktails wants to split the check evenly. However, you already ate and got a cookie and a glass of water and are suddenly paying $24 for it.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 04:47 PM   #92
Roger Wilco
Admiral

If splitting bills evenly were a thing where I'm from, I would be totally paranoid about not drinking more than other people at my table or ordering more expensive food when I go somewhere with friends.
Old November 6 2012, 04:50 PM   #93
David F. Weisma
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I almost always at least double the tax, which gives a tip of about 18 percent. If I don't remember the tax and it isn't on the receipt I might just pay twenty percent of the check with tax included, and will add something if any member of my party has been obnoxious or unreasonable.

I always figure that if tips are built into the wages they probably don't have great health insurance or much sick time either. It actually feels nice to be nice to someone who has been nice to you, and I will give slack to anyone who is rushing around and very busy.
David F. Weisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 04:53 PM   #94
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Brits aren't completely relaxed with tipping because we have a minimum wage here. A lot of people don't tip at all. The norm in Scotland is 10% unless there is a service charge in which case there is no tip.
Old November 6 2012, 05:08 PM   #95
Avon
Fleet Captain

Did this thread happen not that long ago? like an almost exactly identical thread. because i'm getting a really odd feeling of deja vu.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:10 PM   #96
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Service (and tax as well, btw) is indeed included in Europe, but the staff is payed so badly that we still tip. The amount varies from one country to another. Usually, it's around 3-5%. You simply round up a little. For example for a coffee for $1.8 you'd pay $2.0, with a $23.5 meal you'd tell the waiter to make it $25 or $26.
Bof, over here you can tip, a few coins only but there is nothing wrong if you don't. It's not expected.

Frau Blucher wrote: View Post
Brits aren't completely relaxed with tipping
Ah, that must be why we don't have all this tipping nonsense ! How can you enjoy your meal if you're not relaxed ? There are priorities in life !
Old November 6 2012, 05:10 PM   #97
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

^ Wait, the service charge isn't just another term for "tip"? Have I been thoroughly mistaken? Is this another bitter regret to add to the pile? I've been conducting my life in an appalling manner, I presume. Fuck
Old November 6 2012, 07:32 PM   #98
Ryan8bit
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
I don't care if I'm paying towards some little kid's chips in a bill split but other people seem very mathematical about it. Financial pettiness always irritates me.
I think some people just don't want to pay for things they didn't have. A few of my own recent examples:

I went out with a few people and they ordered an expensive bottle of wine, which I did not have any of. They expected to split the bill evenly. Sorry, I'm not paying for you to drink fancy wine.

I went out with a couple friends and we got an appetizer. I had one little bit of it, but the waitress decided to split it three ways between us when splitting the bill. I didn't really say anything about it, since it wasn't that big of a deal. I'd never do a breakdown about how much I ate vs. the others.

I went out with a friend, we both had comparable meals, except I ordered a couple slices of pie to go. I'm not going to expect him to pay for one of those slices which he won't even have, so I sat there and split it up.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 07:36 PM   #99
J. Allen
Has All New Cheap Moves

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

To me, splitting the bill only seems to work when it's 6 or more people. Otherwise, it comes down to one or two people carrying a much larger burden than they should. When my friends and I go out (which is very rare anymore), we agree to split the bill, but we also agree not to go crazy unless everyone agrees on it. So a more expensive platter we'd all agree on before ordering.

Still, if I agree to split the bill, I always make sure to have some of the nicer, more expensive stuff my friends are having anyway, if only to balance out what I'll be paying. It generally works out. After all, we're supposed to be having fun together.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 08:21 PM   #100
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
^ Wait, the service charge isn't just another term for "tip"? Have I been thoroughly mistaken? Is this another bitter regret to add to the pile? I've been conducting my life in an appalling manner, I presume. Fuck
What I meant was if they put a service charge on, you don't need to tip because it's already being taken from you.
Old November 6 2012, 11:04 PM   #101
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

John Carpenter of Mars wrote: View Post
Did this thread happen not that long ago? like an almost exactly identical thread. because i'm getting a really odd feeling of deja vu.
The title explicitly says that this thread happened awhile ago
Old November 6 2012, 11:41 PM   #102
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Tipping is so alien to me that I managed to completely piss off a waiter on my honeymoon in Italy where tipping *is* expected. It honestly didn't occur to me. We spent the week wondering why the guy started off being so pleasant but then progressively treated us with ever increasing, blatant contempt.

Didn't twig until we were on the plane home. Still feel like such a monumental asshole when I think about it.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this.

please kill me
If I can quell your guilt, I can assure you that in Italy tipping is definitively *not* expected. It's nice if you do, but it's not common (except for exceptional service... or if the server is cute). The only places that expect tipping are tourist traps that cater to American visitors and travellers.

As far as Italy is concerned, "service" is always included in the bill (as coperto e servizio -- "table and service", or simply included in the price of food).
Old November 7 2012, 12:29 AM   #103
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
If I can quell your guilt, I can assure you that in Italy tipping is definitively *not* expected. It's nice if you do, but it's not common (except for exceptional service... or if the server is cute). The only places that expect tipping are tourist traps that cater to American visitors and travellers.
I was at a trattoria in Siena. I left extra money as a tip and they came running back to me trying to give me my money. I had no idea how to explain that I was giving it to them as a tip. I kept saying "per Lei" and "per tu," but they seemed to just be confused. I finally gave up and took it back.

Then I looked up the word for tip so, when I came back, I was able to say "è una mancia." I know tipping isn't required, but I was shocked at how difficult it was to give one. Now that coppia is ubiquitous (especially in tourist traps) and that can be annoying from my perspective (especially since you can't even get free water), but I'm fine going with what is normal once I know to expect it.
Old November 7 2012, 12:37 PM   #104
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Too bad it's not like that in the States.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 01:13 PM   #105
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Tipping is so alien to me that I managed to completely piss off a waiter on my honeymoon in Italy where tipping *is* expected. It honestly didn't occur to me. We spent the week wondering why the guy started off being so pleasant but then progressively treated us with ever increasing, blatant contempt.

Didn't twig until we were on the plane home. Still feel like such a monumental asshole when I think about it.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this.

please kill me
Oh, I stand corrected. Well I feel like less of a git now, thanks!

That waiter was just an arsehole, I guess. This was nearly ten years ago, by the way. Should probably let it go.

Last edited by Jim Steele; November 7 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote