Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 19 2012, 03:46 PM   #181
newtontomato539
Commander

Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Who published Killing Time by Della van Hise?

Could you please somehow please pretty please bring in ideas from the Starfleet Year One novel?
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 03:58 PM   #182
Christopher
Writer

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
Who published Killing Time by Della van Hise?
Pocket did, just as they've published every new Star Trek novel since 1981.

Could you please somehow please pretty please bring in ideas from the Starfleet Year One novel?
Sorry, no. I looked it over, and it's just too incompatible with the continuity that Enterprise established for that era.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 11:28 PM   #183
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

This sounds like great! I'm excited to know these stories will be told. I trust Christopher to weave a good story and hopefully revitalize the Enterprise series.
Old November 20 2012, 12:45 AM   #184
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

newtontomato539 wrote: View Post
I would actually rather have him do something with this motif...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 01:19 AM   #185
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I would actually rather have him do something with this motif...
Well, the previous novels were pretty clear about what classes of ship were used in the Earth-Romulan War, and it was a much narrower selection than that. Anyway, I'm covering the postwar period.

Old November 20 2012, 11:13 AM   #186
Sxottlan
Commodore

View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile

This sounds like a great concept. Can't wait!

With the NX-01 mothballed, might we see a new lead ship?

Of course, we never actually "saw" the scene where the ship was decommissioned. Maybe they faked the NX-01's death too?
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2012, 04:38 PM   #187
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

My personal hope would be to see the NX-01 pulled out of mothballs and refit in the Drexler style.

More important than the ship, however, would be how the war's fall-out and the UFP as a new step for galactic civilization impacts the characters and society in general. That relationship building will be interesting to see not only within the UFP worlds but amongst the other worlds as well. We see how the formation of the Typhon Pact affected the quadrant, so it will be interesting to see how the Klingons and others react who are afraid the UFP will be a threat to them.
Old November 20 2012, 04:46 PM   #188
Christopher
Writer

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
My personal hope would be to see the NX-01 pulled out of mothballs and refit in the Drexler style.
Unfortunately, canon makes it pretty clear that NCC-1701 was the first Federation starship named Enterprise. I tried to think of a way NX-01 could still be in service as a non-commissioned ship or Earth ship, but if it were spaceworthy for those purposes, why not commission it as a Federation ship? And I'm tired of secret missions unrecorded by history.

As for the Drexler refit, it occurs to me that, despite what the cover art shows, it's never specifically stated in the Romulan War books that NX-01 wasn't refitted that way.

And there are always other ships...

More important than the ship, however, would be how the war's fall-out and the UFP as a new step for galactic civilization impacts the characters and society in general. That relationship building will be interesting to see not only within the UFP worlds but amongst the other worlds as well. We see how the formation of the Typhon Pact affected the quadrant, so it will be interesting to see how the Klingons and others react who are afraid the UFP will be a threat to them.
There may be something along those lines...

Old November 20 2012, 05:59 PM   #189
Relayer1
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, canon makes it pretty clear that NCC-1701 was the first Federation starship named Enterprise. I tried to think of a way NX-01 could still be in service as a non-commissioned ship or Earth ship, but if it were spaceworthy for those purposes, why not commission it as a Federation ship? And I'm tired of secret missions unrecorded by history.

As for the Drexler refit, it occurs to me that, despite what the cover art shows, it's never specifically stated in the Romulan War books that NX-01 wasn't refitted that way.

I can't recall how many of the original NX's survived. I know 01 and 02 are accounted for and two or three of the others were destroyed.

How many were built during the war, and did production continue in peacetime ? There must be a few left to refit...
Old November 20 2012, 06:52 PM   #190
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I can't recall how many of the original NX's survived. I know 01 and 02 are accounted for and two or three of the others were destroyed.

How many were built during the war, and did production continue in peacetime ? There must be a few left to refit...
The Romulan War novels established that NX-class (and Intrepid-class) production halted in favor of the easier-to-build Daedalus class, and systematically trashed most of the NX fleet. We know Columbia was lost in Destiny, and Beneath the Raptor's Wing blew up Challenger, Discovery, and Atlantis. Enterprise was crippled and decommissioned. Indistinguishable from Magic introduced an NX-07 Intrepid (implying the canonical Intrepid, namesake of its class, was destroyed during the war), but it was lost shortly after the UFP's founding. That leaves only Endeavour, which was severely damaged in BTRW but not destroyed.

Now that the war's over, of course, there's no reason to continue that Daedalus-only policy.

Old November 20 2012, 07:24 PM   #191
Jarvisimo
Commander

Do you count IFM's Intrepid as part of the book world then? Anyway, I am very excited about this book & good luck on making a series out of it, Christopher!
Old November 20 2012, 07:28 PM   #192
Christopher
Writer

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post
Do you count IFM's Intrepid as part of the book world then?
As I said, it was lost in 2161, and my book begins the following year. It doesn't come up.

Old November 20 2012, 07:59 PM   #193
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

Just something to consider . . . With many of the NX class ships named for space shuttles, it would be nice to see a ship in the class named Buran. We also had a mock-up at KSC which is being shipped to JSC named Explorer. Lastly, there is a shuttle test article used at KSC in the 70s which was turned into a full mock-up and named Pathfinder and is now located in Alabama.

Sorry, I miss my space shuttles and figured I'd throw that out there.

Christopher, I wish you well on this project. I'm sure you will have plenty of interesting twists and tie-ins for the fans. Your books are always well-researched and planned out.
Old November 21 2012, 04:52 AM   #194
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

You are not alone in missing those shuttles.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 05:42 AM   #195
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I was proud to have taken a Starfleet uniform where no man had before during the program- the top of pad 39A.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jfx008&s=6