Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 2 2012, 03:01 PM   #16
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: Movies and tv series with realistic gunfights.

Appaloosa also had a very realistic gunfight in it.
Old November 2 2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Caliburn24
The grizzled Sergeant with 20 years in the service may freeze up, the hard-charging LT might start spraying wildly.
Does that happen to veteran sergeants too who had seen more combat. No offense to anyone but seargeants today had probably seen much less combat then the ww2, Korea and Vietnam generations. Did the same thing happen to seargents who were veterans of bloody and long conflicts like WW2 and Vietnam?

I know the US had been in Iraq and Afghanistan for long but as far as i know battles like the ones fought in ww2 are rare. Its more hit and run.

Last edited by Drago-Kazov; November 3 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 01:19 PM   #18
The Green Mushroom
Commander

So is it too late to say Raiders of the Lost Ark? Shoot the guy with the sword, move on to the next problem.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Caliburn24
Commodore

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Does that happen to veteran sergeants too who had seen more combat. No offense to anyone but seargeants today had probably seen much less combat then the ww2, Korea and Vietnam generations. Did the same thing happen to seargents who were veterans of bloody and long conflicts like WW2 and Vietnam?
That question is really impossible for me(or anyone) to answer conclusively. But I can toss out a couple nuggets of information that might shed some light on it.

1) Different specific figures get tossed around all the time. But the conventional wisdom is that only around 10-20% of US WW2 soldiers would fire at another human being when it came down to infantry warfare. In Vietnam that number supposedly climbed to 40-50%, and in the modern US Army army it is supposedly around 75%. The changes are largely due to changes in training(man-shaped pop-up targets for rifle qualification etc), and the fact that we have moved to an all volunteer Army. The guys volunteering for Combat Arms, in theory, should have no mental or emotional issues with killing other people.

2) Back during WW2, US Army sergeants were promoted by their units. Nowadays there is a centralized promotion board. What this means is that sergeants today play the game, get their promotion points, their correspondence courses, sundry other things, and get promoted according to a fairly set time-table. Sergeants in the old days were promoted because of merit(or favoritism, take your pick), meaning that those soldiers who demonstrated courage and leadership under fire could immediately get promoted by their respective Battalion or Regimental officers. Which of course would more rapidly allow the US to field a battlehardened corps of NCOs.

3) But yes. US(heck all armies I'm sure) soldiers, from the lowest private, to grizzled sergeants, to officers of all ranks have frozen up in all our wars. It isn't recorded or really mentioned in the academic historical books, or journalism of the periods, but read the personal accounts and biographies of combat soldiers and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

In Audie Murphy's To Hell and Back for example, there are several cases of soldiers of various ranks freezing up in the midst of combat.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 02:29 AM   #20
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

The Way of the Gun, written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie, the writer of The Usual Suspects. McQuarrie's brother, a former SEAL, choreographed all the gunfights in the film, hence the high level of realism in what was otherwise a comedy/action/drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mzDxonmUnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRAR9...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWC3t...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfokJ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0Co...eature=related
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:30 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Wounds are the main thing that TV plays down/gets wrong - people recover pretty much all the time from shoulder wounds with no permanent lost of mobility and leg wounds are even worse - you get hit in the wrong place in the leg and you'll bleed out pretty quickly.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:34 AM   #22
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Covert Affairs was especially bad with this a few weeks ago. One of the characters takes a gunshot that damages her heart, yet within what can only be depicted as less than 2 weeks, the character is back to doing field ops. A wound like that in real life would have led to a desk job for at least six months if not permanent.
Old November 5 2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

How could i forget. Last Resort had some realistic gunfights. Especially the one against teh Spetznatz operatives.
Old November 6 2012, 12:37 AM   #24
throwback
Captain

Movies get suffocating someone wrong, as well. It takes about five minutes to suffocate someone, yet the movies depict it lasting less than a minute. The most realistic for me of an attempted suffocation was in the Bond flick, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. In the end, Bond couldn't kill the henchman, so he had to resort to another means of dispatching him.

One thing I learned from watching crime documentaries is just how hard it is to kill someone. Though you may get that one stabbing or that one shooting that may down a human, it is really you being lucky.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:55 AM   #25
Lonemagpie
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Wounds are the main thing that TV plays down/gets wrong
Yeah, that & the time that ammo lasts for...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 04:07 AM   #26
magarity
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Definitely the most realistic shootout ever was in Grosse Pointe Blank when John Cusack and Dan Akroyd were on either side of the kitchen counter.

OK, that was just some comic relief ; couldn't help myself.
magarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:45 AM   #27
lurok
Commodore

There's a Japanese gangster film I saw (Violent Cop? Hana-Bi?) which had pretty good shoot-outs. Totally unlike HK/John Woo style. Short, sharp, staccato, random. Gun cracks rather than foleyed booms.
Old November 6 2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

How could i forget, the Election movies were great in this regard too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434008/
Old November 6 2012, 04:42 PM   #29
Forbin
Admiral

I know Miami Vice is NOT the place to go for realistic gunfights, but there was one episode where I saw Crockett do a fast mag change on the run that really impressed me.

Come to think of it, the Vice episode "The Glades" had (IMHO) a pretty believable one-man house-clearing scene.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:56 PM   #30
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

There was a great gunfight on Homeland this week. Automatic weapons > pistols for sure.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote