RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,081
Members: 26,070
Currently online: 446
Newest member: racehelbics

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 1 2012, 08:24 PM   #1
jamiebattell
Ensign

Slings And Arrows

When will "Slings And Arrows" come out in paperback?

Thank you.
jamiebattell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Slings And Arrows

As far as we know there are no plans at the moment to publish Slings and Arrows in the paperback format (or the remaining two SCE/CoE trade paperbacks for that matter).

I guess there's always a chance for another unexpected "hole" in the schedule which could be filled by those, though. That's how we got the last two SCE/CoE TPBs.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

This year would have been ideal; it's the 25th-anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, after all. However, Pocket didn't publish any anniversary projects this year that I can think of.

Maybe 2016, for the 20th anniversary of First Contact?

No, I'm not expecting that, either.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
This year would have been ideal; it's the 25th-anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, after all. However, Pocket didn't publish any anniversary projects this year that I can think of.
Actually I'm a bit surprised that they haven't at least put some kind of 25th anniversary banner on the TNG releases this year (IfM and David Mack's trilogy).
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Or Ben put the trilogy books out with the TV series logo.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:02 PM   #6
shanejayell
Captain

Could be they're making more money off it as a ebook. Still pisses me off tho. I want a physical book, darn it!
Old November 3 2012, 02:49 AM   #7
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Agreed.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:55 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

As much as I am a supporter of e-books, I am rather surprised there hasn't been word of these or the last few CoE novellas coming out in paperback. It seems kinda crappy to me to consistently release the e-book first stuff in ppb for years, and then just suddenly stop with no warning.
Old November 3 2012, 03:30 AM   #9
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

JD wrote: View Post
As much as I am a supporter of e-books, I am rather surprised there hasn't been word of these or the last few CoE novellas coming out in paperback. It seems kinda crappy to me to consistently release the e-book first stuff in ppb for years, and then just suddenly stop with no warning.
I'm not surprised at all. They're orphaned projects. The people who shepherded them through originally at Pocket aren't there any longer. There's no one to champion them or fight for them.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:23 AM   #10
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Pretty sad.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:50 AM   #11
JD
Admiral

To bad KRAD appears to have stepped away from Trek.
Old November 3 2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

It seems kinda crappy to me to consistently release the e-book first stuff in ppb for years, and then just suddenly stop with no warning.
Well, Marco, Keith and Margaret used to come here and play. Ed doesn't (although perhaps he lurks?).

Have you tried writing to Pocket/Gallery and making a request that those eBooks get a trade release?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 12:13 AM   #13
JD
Admiral

Well, I do mostly e-books now, so I'm planning on just getting them in that form eventually. I just think it sucks for those who don't do e-books, and got the TPBs for years only for them to stop with no warning.
Old November 4 2012, 03:48 AM   #14
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

I had Books One through Three and somehow lost my copy of Book 2 and it doesn't even appear on SimonSchuster's site anymore either. I will just get them over again once I get a Kindle myself.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I just think it sucks for those who don't do e-books, and got the TPBs for years only for them to stop with no warning.
As I said, have you tried writing to Pocket/Gallery and making a request that those eBooks get a trade release? Ed S. may not hear you from here.

What kind of warning were you looking for? We get press releases when ST novels are announced and when they are promoted and reviewed, but very rarely when deals go wrong. That's what Steve Roby's "Lost Star Trek novels" webpage is for.

When the very first SCE eBook came out, I recall a message on the download site re it being an exclusive story which was not (ever?) being made available in hardcopy, so each print collection is a bonus.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote