To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The Choices (Select up to 4 only)
J.J. Abrams 25 26.60%
Jon Favreau 16 17.02%
Duncan Jones 21 22.34%
Rian Johnson 3 3.19%
Sam Mendes 6 6.38%
Edgar Wright 5 5.32%
Neill Blomkamp 13 13.83%
Matt Reeves 2 2.13%
Brad Bird 30 31.91%
Frank Darabont 7 7.45%
David Yates 5 5.32%
Matthew Vaughn 10 10.64%
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco 7 7.45%
Guillermo Del Toro 18 19.15%
Ridley Scott 13 13.83%
Other (say whom) 31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4 2012, 12:35 AM   #121
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote:
My main concern with Joss Whedon directing anything is my constant fear that he'll randomly, cruelly kill people off for no good reason. (At least, in the Marvel movies, we're relatively safe from that.
Or so we thought.
Yeah, well, he had a target on his back because he was the only one without any real spin-off potential. The rest just kinda can't be stopped. (Although, I momentarily wondered about Iron Man simply because there's always the possibility that they could kill him off just because RDJ is tired of the role.)

But, honestly, Whedon might not be my first pick of the Marvel movie directors anyway. I sometimes suspect Jon Favreau would do a better job of getting the tone right. And I'd be very OK with Kenneth Branagh, probably. Thor was my favorite of all the Marvel movies (including The Avengers) and I thought Branagh brought more visual stylishness than any of the other directors. But I suspect Branagh would need a really strong script to be able to bring that same kind of quality. Thor had a very solid bedrock of emotional resonance. Without that, I suspect Branagh would have lost interest very quickly.

Whatever you do, keep Ridley Scott the hell away from it! I can't stand Prometheus or Blade Runner. Alien was OK but I attribute that mostly to the casting. (Yaphet Kotto is auto-win!) Kingdom of Heaven made no sense. Legend was shite. He completely derailed The Hot Zone & I Am Legend with his nonsensical art director brain. Honestly, the only movies of his I really liked were Gladiator & Robin Hood. Black Hawk Down was decent, I suppose. But overall, keep this madman away from it.
Old November 4 2012, 12:39 AM   #122
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote:
My main concern with Joss Whedon directing anything is my constant fear that he'll randomly, cruelly kill people off for no good reason. (At least, in the Marvel movies, we're relatively safe from that.
Or so we thought.
Yeah, well, he had a target on his back because he was the only one without any real spin-off potential.
Or so we thought.
Old November 4 2012, 10:34 AM   #123
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I would like to amend my previous post.

Bird writes from a story by Lucas and Darabont, dialogue polish by Whedon, directed by Darabont. Bird as effects/animation director.

Bird directs second film. Whedon the third film when he has wrapped up with current commitment to the Marvel-verse and he can feel free to cut loose with the dramatic deaths of much-loved characters.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 07:26 PM   #124
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

the G-man wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Sidebar: Mark Hamill is the same age now as Alec Guinness was when Ep. IV was filmed.
Wow. That is one of the most depressing things I've ever read.
Wow, indeed. Is that true? Time really does fly.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:06 PM   #125
Skywalker
Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
Sidebar: Mark Hamill is the same age now as Alec Guinness was when Ep. IV was filmed.
Wow. That is one of the most depressing things I've ever read.
Wow, indeed. Is that true? Time really does fly.
Guinness was 62 when ANH filmed in 1976 (born in 1914). Hamill is 61 now (born in 1951).
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:34 PM   #126
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Was he referring to after Robopocalypse? Because that's his next project, and I think there might be a little bit of action in that.
Good point. But maybe he forgot about it?!

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/steven-...024614993.html
Old November 4 2012, 10:07 PM   #127
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Whedon the third film when he has wrapped up with current commitment to the Marvel-verse and he can feel free to cut loose with the dramatic deaths of much-loved characters.
No. Even when it has some narrative justification, it still feels like he's mostly doing it just to screw with us. I mean, he can't even do a musical comedy without twisting the knife for his own sick amusement! (Although, I'll admit that most of the Buffy/Angel deaths were pretty well handled. But I'll never forgive him for Wash.)
Old November 4 2012, 11:39 PM   #128
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Other, namely George Lucas.

I know it's fashionable to bitch about him and his recent work, but here's my thing:

1. All the bitching doesn't change the fact that it started as his vision and he should have a chance to complete it on film.

2. As such, according to his description of his vision, the sumbitch owes us three more chapters and I want him to pay up.

3. His problem is scriptwriting, not story writing or directing, so I say let him finish the story, have someone else write the scripts and let GL get on with what he actually does fairly well.

-Tom Clancy

Last edited by Admiral2; November 5 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:19 AM   #129
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I suspect Lucas will have a some role in the editing of these new movies. He did not personally direct ESB or ROTJ but supervised the editing on both. Thats always been his favorite part of filmmaking.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:08 AM   #130
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Why isn't anyone (anywhere) mentioning Frank Marshall? Nepotism aside, I think he's a pretty decent director.
Old November 5 2012, 06:09 AM   #131
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I mentioned in the main thread, one name for who might direct Episode VII is Gary Ross: he directed the nostalgic Pleasantville, worked with Kathleen Kennedy on Seabiscuit and most recently made The Hunger Games. Whether or not he's right for the job is another matter, but I'd say he's in the right place to get the job.

Last edited by Slurms MacKenzi; November 5 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 08:33 AM   #132
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Other, namely George Lucas.

I know it's fashionable to bitch about him and his recent work, but here's my thing:

1. All the bitching doesn't change the fact that it started as his vision and he should have a chance to complete it on film.

2. As such, according his description of his vision, the sumbitch owes us three more chapters and I want him to pay up.

3. His problem is scriptwriting, not story writing or directing, so I say let him finish the story, have someone else write he scripts and let GL get on with what he actually does fairly well.
If Lucas wanted to direct the movie, and/or complete the vision himself, he wouldn't have sold the franchise and handed LucasFilm control over to that lady (whose name escapes me at the moment).
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:13 AM   #133
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

What I'm looking for out of the director is someone who can match the tone of the original trilogy. I want this to be a return to glory for the franchise. I want it to be fun adventure, I want there to be warmth in the acting, I want it to switch effortlessly between genuinely funny dialogue and mythic seriousness. I don't want SW to change to fit the director. I just don't see those qualities in the movies, of, say Christopher Nolan even though I love his movies. Movies that jump out at me as the right kind of tone... Out of the names bandied about and the movies that give me the right feeling of tone, I like Matthew Vaughan (x-men first class), joss whedon (Serenity, a movie which actually kind of reminds me of OT SW, Avengers), Brad Bird (iron giant, incredibles). I also like Speilberg and Darabont as more general choices. The other option is to go with someone who could capture the exotic Cantina-esque feel of the alien part of SW, in which case my main choice is Del Toro.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:29 AM   #134
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
What I'm looking for out of the director is someone who can match the tone of the original trilogy. I want this to be a return to glory for the franchise. I want it to be fun adventure, I want there to be warmth in the acting, I want it to switch effortlessly between genuinely funny dialogue and mythic seriousness. I don't want SW to change to fit the director.
Exactly. Tim Burton, Chris Nolan, David Fincher (and his bloody teal tint)--all these would be poor choices. You want someone like Irvin Kershner who has a sensitive, fun and intelligent style without intruding into the look of the film.

My concern with Spielberg is that his DP, Janusz Kaminski, would make it look too clinical.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:31 AM   #135
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Robert Zemeckis. He has all the skills and experience to do. He can do action and adventure with touches of humor. Plus he would know how to handle the effects without assistance.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote