TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The Choices (Select up to 4 only)
J.J. Abrams 25 26.60%
Jon Favreau 16 17.02%
Duncan Jones 21 22.34%
Rian Johnson 3 3.19%
Sam Mendes 6 6.38%
Edgar Wright 5 5.32%
Neill Blomkamp 13 13.83%
Matt Reeves 2 2.13%
Brad Bird 30 31.91%
Frank Darabont 7 7.45%
David Yates 5 5.32%
Matthew Vaughn 10 10.64%
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco 7 7.45%
Guillermo Del Toro 18 19.15%
Ridley Scott 13 13.83%
Other (say whom) 31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 1 2012, 12:23 AM   #46
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
KEVIN SMITH - Do I really need to explain this one?
Kevin should stick to his trademark New Jersey low-budget fanboy comedy thing. It's what he does best. Space epics should remain in big boys' hands.

Last edited by Lord Prancer The 5th; November 1 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Lord Prancer The 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:40 AM   #47
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Whedon. But not if it means leaving the Marvel movies.
Old November 1 2012, 12:53 AM   #48
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
If we were just going wish list though, I'd LOVE to see a David Fincher SW film.
Fincher would be too dark. He'd probably end the movie with the black leather S&M-looking mass murderer bad guy winning and someone's family member getting a body part chopped off... oh, wait.

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
M. Night Shyamalan. And you thought Darth Vader being Luke's father was a twist!
Shyamalan would be too gimmicky. He'd probably do some stupid twist like have the girl the main character was in love with turn out to be his sister or make the setting look like the distant future of humanity when in fact it actually takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away... oh, wait.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Put me in the Spielberg camp.

Ridley Scott second choice.
Spielberg would be too saccharin. He'd probably try to wrap things up with a completely premature happy ending at the end of the film with fireworks and celebrations even though the bad guys hadn't actually been eliminated yet and were still incredibly powerful... oh, wait.

Scott would be too convoluted. The audience would just want a tale about people fighting aliens and he'd probably try and tell some needlessly complex story centering on taxation of trade routes, blockades, and ridiculous political intrigue... oh, wait.

Candlefright wrote: View Post
Michael Bay.
Bay would be too dependent on CGI. There'd probably be hundreds of completely indistinguishable robots running around fighting and spaceships swooping around asteroids like they're airplanes... oh, wait.

I withdraw my objections.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:55 AM   #49
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Kevin Smith. Give me a break. That might be the most awful suggestion I've ever heard for anything, ever.
Old November 1 2012, 12:59 AM   #50
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If we get Kevin Smith do we get Cock Knocker?
Old November 1 2012, 01:24 AM   #51
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Kevin Smith. Give me a break. That might be the most awful suggestion I've ever heard for anything, ever.
Kevin Smith can write/direct serious material very well, and has a deep love of this particular subject matter. I think he'd do great, and I think if you think this suggestion is that awful, you haven't been exposed to the full range of Smith's movies - probably just Clerks, Mallrats, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II?
Set Harth wrote: View Post
If we get Kevin Smith do we get Cock Knocker?
Well, at least if we did, George Lucas wouldn't sue somebody.
Old November 1 2012, 01:30 AM   #52
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Garak wrote: View Post
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Old November 1 2012, 01:51 AM   #53
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I think he'd do great, and I think if you think this suggestion is that awful, you haven't been exposed to the full range of Smith's movies - probably just Clerks, Mallrats, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks II?
I'm a fan of Smith's movies, and even I think it's an awful idea. He's done one serious movie to date and it was the very first time he showed any genuine directing skill. But that's still far from being enough to be handed the keys to a big budget project like a Star Wars movie.

Besides, Smith ultimately passed on The Green Hornet because even he knew he wasn't up to the task of working on a movie with a large budget. No, he's much better off staying on personal, low-budget projects.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:14 AM   #54
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Besides, Smith ultimately passed on The Green Hornet because even he knew he wasn't up to the task of working on a movie with a large budget. No, he's much better off staying on personal, low-budget projects.
Fine, fine. What about Roxann Dawson?
Old November 1 2012, 03:25 AM   #55
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I have no opinion on her, as I'm unfamiliar with most of her television directing work. The fact that she's only directed television, however, is an automatic disqualification based on scale alone.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:31 AM   #56
Biffette
Captain

Kenny Ortega

Yeah, you know it.
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 03:54 AM   #57
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Mediocre Pumpkin wrote: View Post
If we were just going wish list though, I'd LOVE to see a David Fincher SW film.
Fincher would be too dark.
Fincher worked on Return of the Jedi (he was either 2nd Unit or 2nd Assistant Director), and he supposedly lobbied Lucas to direct Revenge of the Sith. He's a big Star Wars fan, and if he were offered a full film I think he'd go for it and do something very amazing with it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 04:49 AM   #58
T'Baio
Admiral

Fincher was Assistant Cameraman on Jedi, and I'd love to see links regarding the rest of that post, because I'm pretty sure it's mostly internet rumour, and therefore patently false.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 07:12 AM   #59
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I have always thought it would be cool to see a Stephen Spielberg-directed Star Wars movie.
Old November 1 2012, 08:17 AM   #60
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The Mediocre Pumpkin wrote: View Post
Fincher would be too dark.
Fincher worked on Return of the Jedi (he was either 2nd Unit or 2nd Assistant Director), and he supposedly lobbied Lucas to direct Revenge of the Sith. He's a big Star Wars fan, and if he were offered a full film I think he'd go for it and do something very amazing with it.
That's an excellent rebuttal to my completely obvious joke which you deleted from your post. Next up, we'll engage in a series of moderated debates about why the chicken crossed the road.