Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2012, 11:57 AM   #706
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Well there was that report a few years back about Ford being offered a truck load of money to come back for 7,8,9 which he turned down.
Old November 5 2012, 12:24 PM   #707
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Nostalgia is the Anti-Life Equation.
Perhaps for some. For me it's the Sacred Grove. And FWIW, Star Wars has nostalgia in its DNA.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:31 PM   #708
Finn
Vice Admiral

I seem to recall an interview some years ago, well before Indy 4, where Ford said he'd rather play Indy again than being Hans Solo in a new movie
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:46 PM   #709
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Slurms MacKenzi wrote: View Post
Nostalgia is the Anti-Life Equation.
Perhaps for some. For me it's the Sacred Grove. And FWIW, Star Wars has nostalgia in its DNA.
Ah, but it's Lucas' nostalgia, not mine. I don't have any fond memories of old Republic serials. Anyway, Hollywood, with all its remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies, is showing alarming signs of decadence, and that's no one's "Sacred Grove".

Last edited by The Mirrorball Man; November 5 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Typo
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:12 PM   #710
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyway, Hollywood, with all its remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies, is showing alarming signs of decadence, and that's on one's "Sacred Grove".
Well, I don't disagree in general. The Spider-man reboot was particularly absurd, IMHO. But nostalgia isn't the driving force--it's cynicism and formulaic pandering.

Also, there's some irony in complaining about "remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies" in a Star Wars thread on a Star Trek board.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:32 PM   #711
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Slurms MacKenzi wrote: View Post
Also, there's some irony in complaining about "remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies" in a Star Wars thread on a Star Trek board.
The irony is not lost on me, but just because I comment on something doesn't mean that I have to embrace it wholeheartedly.
Old November 5 2012, 03:40 PM   #712
Tulin
Vice Admiral

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
I seem to recall an interview some years ago, well before Indy 4, where Ford said he'd rather play Indy again than being Hans Solo in a new movie
Maybe but I wonder how he'd feel about playing HAN Solo instead?

I mean....come on.

It's NOT 1978.

I am sure we ALL know it's HAN Solo by now.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:57 PM   #713
flavaflav
Commander

Put me down in the Harrison Ford will return camp. The guy is at a point in his diminishing career where he'd do anything for a nickel.Also, I've been looking forward to the sequels waaaaaaaaay more than i did the prequel trilogy. With the PT, we had a very good idea of what the entire story would be before hand due to the clues dropped throughout the OT. With the sequels, we reallly don't have a clue other than Luke is gonna be in the Obi Wan role. and that lack of knowledge makes me giddy.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 04:14 PM   #714
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

flavaflav wrote: View Post
Put me down in the Harrison Ford will return camp. The guy is at a point in his diminishing career where he'd do anything for a nickel.Also, I've been looking forward to the sequels waaaaaaaaay more than i did the prequel trilogy. With the PT, we had a very good idea of what the entire story would be before hand due to the clues dropped throughout the OT. With the sequels, we reallly don't have a clue other than Luke is gonna be in the Obi Wan role. and that lack of knowledge makes me giddy.
Hey, it's great that you're feeling giddy, but I don't agree about the prequels. The OT didn't leave us that many clues. Major elements of the prequels' plot, such as who or what the clones were, who fought the Clone Wars, who was the twins' mother, how the Republic turned into the Empire rather than being defeated by it, and many other things, were complete surprises.
Old November 5 2012, 04:19 PM   #715
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Mirrorball Man is right. Not only did we not really know what would happen in the PT, most people assumed that the Clone Wars - per the name - were a war fought against clones. I don't know where a sequel trilogy will head, but the prequel trilogy had the initial hook of 'here's where Darth Vader came from and here's how he fell.' The sequel trilogy - now that Vader and the Emperor is dead - is more of a blank slate as to what exactly it's gonna be about.

Anyway, Hollywood, with all its remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies, is showing alarming signs of decadence, and that's no one's "Sacred Grove".
Which in fact is a charge that has been levelled at Star Wars since the original film, and even - along with Jaws - has been accused as the film responsible for ending Hollywood's 1970s Renaissance by retreating into empty Golden Age spectacle.

Star Wars has been part of the vanguard in the commercialization of film franchises (compare the series to say Planet of the Apes where the budget was slashed for the sequels on the assumption that sequels inevitably had diminishing returns) so this is really par for the course here.
Old November 5 2012, 04:22 PM   #716
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Put me down in the Harrison Ford will return camp. The guy is at a point in his diminishing career where he'd do anything for a nickel.
Because he's so strapped for cash?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 04:52 PM   #717
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Put me down in the Harrison Ford will return camp. The guy is at a point in his diminishing career where he'd do anything for a nickel.
He has 3 films in post production for slated 2013 release and another in pre-production.

Not sure I'd call that schedule "strapped for cash".
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 05:37 PM   #718
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
He has 3 films in post production for slated 2013 release and another in pre-production.

Not sure I'd call that schedule "strapped for cash".
QFT!! Ford may not be the draw he was in non-Indy related roles, but he is a quality actor who will always have plenty of movies to do. I enjoyed him in Cowboys vs. Aliens, though I know I'm in the minority there... I have an idea he's been smart with his money and has the luxery to take the roles he finds interesting/challenging.

While I'd love to see him in the new SW movies, my money is on Luke... Don't care how minimal Mark Hamill's career has been post Star Wars... I'm really looking forward to the "de-cloaking" reveal we all know is going to happen.. Nerdgasm indeed!!
Old November 5 2012, 06:09 PM   #719
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Hey, it's great that you're feeling giddy, but I don't agree about the prequels. The OT didn't leave us that many clues. Major elements of the prequels' plot, such as who or what the clones were, who fought the Clone Wars, who was the twins' mother, how the Republic turned into the Empire rather than being defeated by it, and many other things, were complete surprises.
He is a nice and humble guy he probably has enough wealth not to worry about the future.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:14 PM   #720
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
Maybe but I wonder how he'd feel about playing HAN Solo instead?
Hans Olo is so much more cooler.