Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 4 2012, 11:21 PM   #661
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

in
theenglish wrote: View Post

Lucas was really the guy who started related merchandise (clothes, toys, kitchen ware, etc), and Disney mastered the art so in that sense this is a match made in heaven.
Lucas created the current form of merchandising. But Walt Disney himself was the first to mass license a popular character. Mickey Mouse was appearing on everything shortly after he appeared.

Before Lucas pre-release merchandise was reserved for television series. It was seen as marketing and if a show was a success it could be on the shelves for years. Lucas was the first to use this approach for a single film.

I wonder what would have happened if Walt Disney had been still alive when Lucas pitched it to the studio? Walt was a forward thinker. I think he would have seen the potential in Star Wars and Lucas himself.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:22 AM   #662
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
I believe Luke himself also fell to the Dark Side in one series of EU novels set after Episode VI and his sister had to travel the galaxy to save him from himself. A Luke-turns story could also work seeing how close he came to giving in to the Dark Side in his final battle with his father and the Emperor, but probably unlikely at this point.
Yeah, that story was told in the Dark Horse graphic novels Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, and Empire's End. I thought it made sense to play on Luke's almost succumbing to the dark side in ROTJ, and it's possible we might see something like that in the new film. Though with Dark Empire, I never saw much evidence of Dark Side Luke actually doing anything dark side. Though the fear of Luke going totally dark side has been an interesting aspect of some of the novels that followed Dark Empire, at least in the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:24 AM   #663
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I believe Luke himself also fell to the Dark Side in one series of EU novels set after Episode VI and his sister had to travel the galaxy to save him from himself. A Luke-turns story could also work seeing how close he came to giving in to the Dark Side in his final battle with his father and the Emperor, but probably unlikely at this point.
I dunno.. there's a bit too much farm boy in him and I think he works well as the perpetual everyman. Having him turn would shock people, though I would presume it would be a cliffhanger and in the next movie he would be redeemed.

Anakin the child was supposed to be a Tom Sawyer type character, adventurous with an innate goodness. By the time he was an adolescent the goodness was corroded but that wasn't the case for Luke who came to manhood with his idealism still intact.

I would rather see a more complex character turn to the dark side, Leia would be fine.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:28 AM   #664
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

It would certainly give Carrie Fisher some really meaty material to work with and Leia a chance to shine like never before. Could Carrie handle that level of acting, though? Ever since she cleaned herself of chemical dependency and addiction she's become a more centered and professional person but she doesn't act much anymore.

More power to her if she could pull off a "Dark Leia" thing in a future Episode...I'd certainly like to see it because Leia was always more like her father than Luke was what with her temper and fierce fighting spirit.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:58 AM   #665
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
in
theenglish wrote: View Post

Lucas was really the guy who started related merchandise (clothes, toys, kitchen ware, etc), and Disney mastered the art so in that sense this is a match made in heaven.
Lucas created the current form of merchandising. But Walt Disney himself was the first to mass license a popular character. Mickey Mouse was appearing on everything shortly after he appeared.

Before Lucas pre-release merchandise was reserved for television series. It was seen as marketing and if a show was a success it could be on the shelves for years. Lucas was the first to use this approach for a single film.

I wonder what would have happened if Walt Disney had been still alive when Lucas pitched it to the studio? Walt was a forward thinker. I think he would have seen the potential in Star Wars and Lucas himself.
Yes, I should have been more specific. I was the proud owner of all kinds of Happy Days and Six Million Dollar Man crap.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:06 AM   #666
teacake
Fleet Admiral

It would certainly give Carrie Fisher some really meaty material to work with and Leia a chance to shine like never before. Could Carrie handle that level of acting, though? Ever since she cleaned herself of chemical dependency and addiction she's become a more centered and professional person but she doesn't act much anymore.
She's a great actor though and has been doing her stage show so it's not like she's dropped out completely. It would be very interesting if we were left with questions at the end of the movie as to her motivations or something.

More power to her if she could pull off a "Dark Leia" thing in a future Episode...I'd certainly like to see it because Leia was always more like her father than Luke was what with her temper and fierce fighting spirit.
Yes she was, and I can see her making choices that put her children ahead of the needs of the Force for instance.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 5 2012, 01:10 AM   #667
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I think the most that one might see is that Luke still struggles with the dark side, kind of like alcoholism or other addiction disorders. To have him have succumbed to the dark side defeats the purpose of ROTJ. Also, it would end up being a rehash of the story thus far.

It worked in the novels probably because they were novels and had a full storyline to them in which he was a major player.
Old November 5 2012, 01:26 AM   #668
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

I always thought the Infinities what if? version of ANH did a very good job with the concept of Leia being captured by the Empire after the Rebels failing to win Yavin (Luke's torpedo missed in this reality) and eventually being won over by Vader with a good hook. It's unfortunate that Sith Leia is given that much to do afterward in the story.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:33 AM   #669
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Your point was correct though. I feel that along with Jim Henson, George Lucas was following in the steps of Walt Disney.

Henson had wanted sell the Muppets to Disney before he died. But it was not finalized and after that it took over a decade for his kids and the studio to work out a deal. Lucas has he wanted to finalize this himself. He worked with Henson, its likely he used the state of the Muppets after his death as motivation to make the Star Wars sale while he was still alive.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 02:48 AM   #670
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Unless I've missed something, there's been no information that has said the trilogy will even involve Luke, right? This might end up taking place one hundred or two hundred or a thousand years after RotJ. I'd like a trilogy taking place even before TPM but my guess is that it'll be post-RotJ since they're effectively calling it episode 7.
Old November 5 2012, 02:51 AM   #671
theenglish
Rear Admiral

The Mystery Man wrote: View Post
Unless I've missed something, there's been no information that has said the trilogy will even involve Luke, right? This might end up taking place one hundred or two hundred or a thousand years after RotJ. I'd like a trilogy taking place even before TPM but my guess is that it'll be post-RotJ since they're effectively calling it episode 7.
The only thing that we know is that Lucas met with Hamill and Fisher in August. All involved are staying quiet about the details of that meeting.
Old November 5 2012, 02:52 AM   #672
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I just can't see them bringing back Hamill and Fisher for a sequel trilogy. I'm guessing they'll want to do more Star Wars films if the next trilogy is a success so my guess is that they're going to chart new territory.

Plus, Hamill and fisher are good friends of Lucas so it makes sense that he'd talk with them first considering they're pals and they were there at the beginning of Star Wars.
Old November 5 2012, 02:54 AM   #673
teacake
Fleet Admiral

They will bring them back the way they brought Nimoy back. Passing of the light saber.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 5 2012, 03:07 AM   #674
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
Yeah, that story was told in the Dark Horse graphic novels Dark Empire, Dark Empire 2, and Empire's End. I thought it made sense to play on Luke's almost succumbing to the dark side in ROTJ, and it's possible we might see something like that in the new film. Though with Dark Empire, I never saw much evidence of Dark Side Luke actually doing anything dark side. Though the fear of Luke going totally dark side has been an interesting aspect of some of the novels that followed Dark Empire, at least in the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series.
Didn't Leland or somebody insinuate that Luke didn't "really" fall to the dark side in DE, for whatever that's worth?
Old November 5 2012, 03:29 AM   #675
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
As long as we get the "A long time ago.." in the same color and font followed by the intro crawl.
You didn't hear? They're going with Comic Sans.

"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote