Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 3 2012, 05:45 AM   #616
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Prince Xizor and the Black Sun would make a terrific villain and organization for Luke, Leia and the former Rebels to fight in the new Sequel Trilogy but, alas, book canon dating back to the mid-nineties places Xizor's defeat and death before JEDI (circa 4 ABY) and he and Black Sun can't be used unless the Shadows of the Empire storyline is decanonized and dumped so they can be used in the future films. SOTE is a pretty beloved and accepted piece of non-filmed SW lore and I doubt it would be shelved and forgotten so easily.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 06:08 AM   #617
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^I think the Sith have to be the villains. The battle between the Jedi and Sith and light and dark both internally and externally are at the core of the Saga.

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
That is exactly what I been hoping for too. The Obi-Wan comparison makes sense for age and experience. But Luke barely knew Obi-Wan before he died. I think while Luke's role maybe less than it was in the OT it will be larger than Obi-Wan's was.
But that risks him overshadowing the principal characters of the sequels.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 06:12 AM   #618
sojourner
Admiral

SiddFinch1 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
The thing you keep missing is that when people think of Luke they immediately picture Mark Hamill. Recasting is a bigger risk than aging the character to match the actor when doing a continuing story. It can work well for a reboot, but that's not happening here.

And Eonline agrees if you actually read the article all the way through.
If you can do it for kirk.spock and Mccoy you can do it here too
See bolded.
Old November 3 2012, 06:27 AM   #619
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
But that risks him overshadowing the principal characters of the sequels.
Maybe he will still be a principal character. The OT had a large group of characters. A number of whom are dead. It will not be hard to add more to the survivors. There is this assumption that the classic characters need to be diminished for new ones to shine. I don't agree with that at all.

I think Luke will have an important role. Lucas named him after himself. There is talk of spin-offs after this trilogy ends the main story. I would think the classic characters will still be important in episodes 7-9. Otherwise it will feel like a different story. With newer characters having even more time in spin-offs.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:52 AM   #620
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

This is worth reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequeIl_trilogy It chronicles all of Lucas various comments about his plans and ideas for a sequel trilogy since the late 1970s. Sure they are vague and undeveloped. Some are inconsistent with how the OT ended.

But there is one consistent idea. That a sequel trilogy would be take place decades after the OT. That he envisioned from the start making them with the cast when they reached their 60s and 70s.

So he always intended to set post Jedi movies decades later and be about the core characters. But clearly the backstory, the prequels was the idea he had develped the most and wanted to finish himself.

Perhaps now after reaching old age himself, the idea of seeing his characters at that point appeals to him again. Being able to mostly enjoy it as part of the audience this time with out the stress.
Old November 3 2012, 11:03 AM   #621
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
Prince Xizor and the Black Sun would make a terrific villain and organization for Luke, Leia and the former Rebels to fight in the new Sequel Trilogy but, alas, book canon dating back to the mid-nineties places Xizor's defeat and death before JEDI (circa 4 ABY) and he and Black Sun can't be used unless the Shadows of the Empire storyline is decanonized and dumped so they can be used in the future films. SOTE is a pretty beloved and accepted piece of non-filmed SW lore and I doubt it would be shelved and forgotten so easily.
By fanboys - if Disney wants to recycle the characters, it will without a second look, the money you spent on those books came in and was spent years ago.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 11:20 AM   #622
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I never liked how in the EU Luke discovers lots of adult Jedi who have hidden from the Empire. I would like to see it shown that without the Empire's interference more force sensitive children were being born. So that by the time of Episode 7 Jedi born after the Battle of Endor, now adults, have no memory of the Empire at all. It would be an interesting generational divide to explore.
Old November 3 2012, 11:24 AM   #623
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
By fanboys - if Disney wants to recycle the characters, it will without a second look, the money you spent on those books came in and was spent years ago.
Oh, I realize all that...I'm just saying that the EU---as inconsistent and often downright idiotic as it is---did come up with at least some good ideas that could work in a filmed motion picture if they were tweaked somewhat for adaptation to the timeline of the big screen. I for one wouldn't complain if the concept of Xizor were used in the next Trilogy but it probably won't in large part because of when the SOTE storyline takes place so I wouldn't get worked up over it. It was just an idea tossed out there to gauge reaction.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 11:58 AM   #624
billcosby
Commodore

I'm more interested in a story featuring Leia than Luke.

We've already seen Luke as a Jedi. Seeing Leia swinging a lightsabre, teaching her force-sensitive children... that would really be exciting. We know that Leia does learn to use the force and become a Jedi from Luke's intuition in ROTJ.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:49 PM   #625
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
This is worth reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequeIl_trilogy It chronicles all of Lucas various comments about his plans and ideas for a sequel trilogy since the late 1970s. Sure they are vague and undeveloped. Some are inconsistent with how the OT ended.

But there is one consistent idea. That a sequel trilogy would be take place decades after the OT. That he envisioned from the start making them with the cast when they reached their 60s and 70s.

So he always intended to set post Jedi movies decades later and be about the core characters. But clearly the backstory, the prequels was the idea he had develped the most and wanted to finish himself.

Perhaps now after reaching old age himself, the idea of seeing his characters at that point appeals to him again. Being able to mostly enjoy it as part of the audience this time with out the stress.
Thanks, that's a pretty good read. Looking at the actual quotes, one can see how all of Lucas comments about the sequels are actually somewhat consistent from a certain point of view.

He had vague plans for all these movies, he said that plans change as the movies get made and eventually decided to focus just on the story of Anakin/Vader.

My favorite quote though was:

"Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 09:23 PM   #626
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post

That didn't take long.
Is it bad that I watched this and smiled? Am I a heretic?
Old November 3 2012, 09:59 PM   #627
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I couldn't care less what logo opens it. As long as we get the "A long time ago.." in the same color and font followed by the intro crawl.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:11 PM   #628
sojourner
Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
As long as we get the "A long time ago.." in the same color and font followed by the intro crawl.
You didn't hear? They're going with Comic Sans.
Old November 3 2012, 10:32 PM   #629
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
^I think the Sith have to be the villains. The battle between the Jedi and Sith and light and dark both internally and externally are at the core of the Saga.
They (accidentally?) played a sound clip on NPR the other day during coverage of this story that sounded like audio from a trailer. I wonder if it was an accident because they started it playing while the journalist was talking, and they shut it off in the middle of it and acted like nothing had happened - didn't discuss or explain it at all. It had a woman's voice talking about how they had always known an ultimate confrontation would have to come between the Jedi and the Sith, and something about a Sith planet. I think you're right about the Sith, and I wish I knew where that clip came from.
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I'll agree that this is true of the EU, including SOTE. But I can't help but think it might be somewhat *less* true of SOTE - it wasn't run-of-the-mill EU stuff, it was part of a big Lucasfilm/LucasArts push with book, video games, soundtracks, trading cards, comics, action figures, the works, and they incorporated references of elements from SOTE into the ROTJ radio drama and into the Special Editions of the Original Trilogy. Lucasfilm referred to it as an interquel. Given that there have always been varying levels of "canon" for Star Wars, I'd have to say that I think SOTE is closer to film-canon than just about any other part of the EU.
Old November 3 2012, 10:56 PM   #630
billcosby
Commodore

teacock wrote: View Post
I couldn't care less what logo opens it. As long as we get the "A long time ago.." in the same color and font followed by the intro crawl.
I can't imagine they would change that... if so, they wouldn't be calling it "episode VII."

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote