Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2012, 01:58 PM   #556
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

EJD1984 wrote: View Post
I've been thinking that he may be using Star Trek as a resume builder, to convince the "Powers That Be" to hire him to direct an Episode (8 or 9).
So, Star Trek is an inferior franchise to be used as a stepping stone. Rad.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:05 PM   #557
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I can see Abrams vying to direct one of the movies.
Isn't he under contract with Paramount and also is going to do at least one Star Trek movie after Into Darkness? A world where Abrams is directing a Star Wars more and a Star Trek movie simultaneously seems improbable to me.

Abrams would be a pretty great guy for a Star Wars movie, but there are other guys who aren't attached to a franchise tentpole. He's no more likely to me than Whedon.
Old November 2 2012, 02:07 PM   #558
EJD1984
Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I've been thinking that he may be using Star Trek as a resume builder, to convince the "Powers That Be" to hire him to direct an Episode (8 or 9).
Not to me at all. I prefer ST over SW (by leaps and bounds), but in the back of Abrams mind, he may just quietly believe that - or at least when he first took the job.

That line, "to inject some Star Wars into Trek", has always irked me.

Last edited by EJD1984; November 2 2012 at 02:50 PM.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:10 PM   #559
EJD1984
Commander

Kegg wrote: View Post
I can see Abrams vying to direct one of the movies.
Isn't he under contract with Paramount and also is going to do at least one Star Trek movie after Into Darkness? A world where Abrams is directing a Star Wars more and a Star Trek movie simultaneously seems improbable to me.

Abrams would be a pretty great guy for a Star Wars movie, but there are other guys who aren't attached to a franchise tentpole. He's no more likely to me than Whedon.
Once he's done with the third Trek, he may be clear an open (contract wise). If so, there still would be no way he could direct Episode 7, but should be free when it comes to 8 and 9.
Old November 2 2012, 02:21 PM   #560
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

To Abrams? Most certainly.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:21 PM   #561
Kegg
Rear Admiral

If so, there still would be no way he could direct Episode 7, but should be free when it comes to 8 and 9.
But why would Disney want to let go whoever directed Episode 7? It'd need to fail pretty hard or something.
Old November 2 2012, 02:31 PM   #562
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm suddenly worried about the public developing Star weariness.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 02:57 PM   #563
EJD1984
Commander

If so, there still would be no way he could direct Episode 7, but should be free when it comes to 8 and 9.
But why would Disney want to let go whoever directed Episode 7? It'd need to fail pretty hard or something.
I know that Lucas had done that with 5 & 6, not only to give himself a break, but also so that each movie would have it's own distinct look and feel.

I'm sure that in Hollywood right now there is a lot of back-stabbing maneuvering amongst the the agents of every major director to get a crack at directing one of episodes.

At one point in the late 1990s I know that Spielberg had expressed interest in directing a SW film, not sure if he still has that interest. Though he would be a great choice.
Old November 2 2012, 03:07 PM   #564
Kegg
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
I'm suddenly worried about the public developing Star weariness.
I don't know. Between 1977 and 2012, we've had six Star Wars movies. Between 1989 and 2012, we've had seven Batman movies. Arguably it's too soon to bring Star Wars back to the screen, but at least a solid decade will have passed since ROTS when it does come back.

I know that Lucas had done that with 5 & 6, not only to give himself a break, but also so that each movie would have it's own distinct look and feel.
But both of those films had George Lucas in an executive producer position, and neither Kershner nor Marquand had the level of control over their pictures that Abrams had with his Star Trek films.

It's true that when it comes to blockbusters directors can be an expendable commodity - Thor, Hunger Games, Twilight etc. are all recent film series that have had turnovers in the director's chair - but that would be a step down for Abrams who has the clout to make personal films like Super 8 in addition to running the Trek franchise.
Old November 2 2012, 03:49 PM   #565
EJD1984
Commander

But both of those films had George Lucas in an executive producer position, and neither Kershner nor Marquand had the level of control over their pictures that Abrams had with his Star Trek films.

It's true that when it comes to blockbusters directors can be an expendable commodity - Thor, Hunger Games, Twilight etc. are all recent film series that have had turnovers in the director's chair - but that would be a step down for Abrams who has the clout to make personal films like Super 8 in addition to running the Trek franchise.
I'm sure that most/any director considered would be more that happy to give up that control (along with a first born) to get this directing gig. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if buried in the sale/deal that Lucas will quietly have final approval for the director(s), or taken under strong advisement.

Plus, at this point, no one knows how Kathleen Kennedy will run each movie, and how much influence she will exert on the director(s).
Old November 2 2012, 04:02 PM   #566
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You say direct, but we all know that that's just code for saving our child hood from another raping.

it's the little job right beside the big situation like Hitler's manicurist, or Marilyn Munro's towlboy that prove that one man if he can be arsed, can make a difference..

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:04 PM   #567
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
To Abrams? Most certainly.
Definitely the ideal man to have been handed the reigns then.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:23 PM   #568
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I'm sure that most/any director considered would be more that happy to give up that control (along with a first born) to get this directing gig.
Many, sure. Most, statistically plausible.

But Abrams, who has built himself as a brand for the past decade with a string of TV shows and now movies... I'd be less sure.

Plus, at this point, no one knows how Kathleen Kennedy will run each movie, and how much influence she will exert on the director(s).
We don't. It could be - and I'd expect it to be - that the director has considerable authority over how the film is made.

Which of course begs the question I asked above.
Old November 2 2012, 04:59 PM   #569
EJD1984
Commander

Final Director Thought - As long as Michael Bay is on the "Do-Not-Call" list, I'll be happy.
Old November 2 2012, 05:01 PM   #570
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Final Director Thought - As long as Michael Bay is on the "Do-Not-Call" list, I'll be happy.
QFT!!!