Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 03:12 AM   #286
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

If the new film has anything to do with the EU, aside from some little in-jokes or shout outs that are meant to be cute but the "hardcore" fans will find infuriating, I'll stand on my head through the entire movie. And as much as I liked the EU back when I read the novels, I say more power to a new telling of the story.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:18 AM   #287
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I remember when this hit in the fall of 1998, right after my dad passed away and things that reconnected me to my family and childhood had more meaning than ever before. He had wanted to see it before he died and thankfully I got to see all three prequels with my mom before her own premature passing about ten years later.

But for a few moments in the autumn of '98 I was a little kid again and reliving the wonder of a new Star Wars film with a parent smiling on as I watched.

Say what you want about Episode I as an actual film...this teaser kicked more ass than a company of Green Berets.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:19 AM   #288
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Slurms MacKenzi wrote: View Post
...with Lucas writing treatments for new movies.
Aaaand up until I read that, I was actually excited about this news. Come on Death, get to reaping already.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:23 AM   #289
Skywalker
Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Aaaand up until I read that, I was actually excited about this news. Come on Death, get to reaping already.
Not cool.

Besides, Lucas is great for coming up with story ideas. It's writing dialogue and directing actors that he's not so good at anymore.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:24 AM   #290
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Lucas being involved with the broad story beats is pretty much the best kind of news for me. Lucas was good at shaping out the general direction of the Star Wars films and I think that involvement is a level of continuity with the previous six pictures that is worthwhile.

If we just want space opera movies without Lucas, let's, I don't know, go watch Abrams' next Star Trek film (which obviously we're going to do anyway but you catch my drift).

Also I think you probably could have made good films out of the prequels if Lucas had written the treatments. There's good ideas in there for movies that could have been teased out and gone in interesting directions with the right creative talent.
Old October 31 2012, 03:24 AM   #291
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Come on, Lucas wrote the story (and early drafts) for Empire Strikes Back, the best movie of the lot.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:30 AM   #292
Mutara Nebula 1967
Captain

THis is great news BUT...I just can't imagine a STAR WARS movie NOT starting with the FOX FANFARE and the the searchlights logo...I just can't!

"Looks like the good folks of Island Town are roundin' up a possy and I bet Jack leads the charge in a big white hat."
Mutara Nebula 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:32 AM   #293
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

This is a relevant time to repost one of my old favorites, isn't it? It's gotta be. Shucks, damn the ion cannons, here goes:

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:34 AM   #294
Skywalker
Admiral

Mutara Nebula 1967 wrote: View Post
THis is great news BUT...I just can't imagine a STAR WARS movie NOT starting with the FOX FANFARE and the the searchlights logo...I just can't!

That didn't take long.
Old October 31 2012, 03:34 AM   #295
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Can't Disney release the films through 20th Century Fox and keep the normal iconic openings for the new movies? Just because Disney owns them doesn't mean they won't contract with Fox to release the new Trilogy and keep the classic openings intact.

After all, Fox didn't make the first six movies...Lucasfilm Ltd. did. Lucas just released them through Fox.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:36 AM   #296
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Kegg wrote: View Post
Lucas being involved with the broad story beats is pretty much the best kind of news for me. Lucas was good at shaping out the general direction of the Star Wars films and I think that involvement is a level of continuity with the previous six pictures that is worthwhile.
Except the prequel trilogy completely obliterates that for me. They were dreadful, especially the overall story arc and concepts. "Behold a 6th grader's take on a government system thought up by a 3rd grader in action! Thrill at the excitement of watching a bunch of old guys sitting around cryptically saying philosophical bullshit that would make the aforementioned 3rd and 6th graders wince in agony! Delight in the budding romance of a whiny twat and his intentionally-directed plank of wood girlfriend! And not only do you get to revel in the cunning Gungans, but you also get to see Yoda hop around like a kung fu jackass despite all his preaching about not needing to resort to such theatrics in the previous trilogy! Oh, and Midochlorians, too. Oops, I almost forgot, be shocked to learn that Boba Fett isn't just one bounty hunter, but an entire army!"

Just... ugh.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:40 AM   #297
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
Can't Disney release the films through 20th Century Fox and keep the normal iconic openings for the new movies? Just because Disney owns them doesn't mean they won't contract with Fox to release the new Trilogy and keep the classic openings intact.
Wouldn't that be ridiculous?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:41 AM   #298
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
It'd be great if we still got the live action "Underworld" TV series to fill in some of the 20-year gap between Episodes III and IV and at the same time saw the distant future post-JEDI in Episode VII. Lucas and his people could touch on two different periods in galactic history at the same moment and flesh out the two eras SW fans want to know the most about.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:43 AM   #299
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I'll ask this question again: why would Disney now owning Lucasfilm suddenly mean a change in either the overall creative direction of the SW franchise or in the way SW is/has been distributed? As myself and one other person have already said, Lucasfilm will remain an autonomous entity, albeit under the broader Disney Corporation umbrella, and if Disney didn't insist that all of its 'in-house' Marvel Comics productions be produced/distributed under the Walt Disney Pictures banner (which is only one of several studio labels under its umbrella [see below for the full list]), why would it do so for the SW films?

Since I mentioned above that Walt Disney Pictures is only one of several studio labels under the Disney Corporation umbrella, here's the full list of said studios:
Walt Disney Pictures
Pixar Animation Studios
Disney Toon Studios
Disneynature
Marvel Studios
Touchstone Pictures (with DreamWorks Studios as a subsidiary)
ESPN Films
Studio Ghibi (North America)
Lucasfilm

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:49 AM   #300
Skywalker
Admiral

So when are we going to get crossover movies? I want to know if Captain America's shield can stop a lightsaber.