Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2012, 01:41 AM   #241
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Doesn't Lucas regard the EU as canon? He may not let Episode 7 contradict it.
He sold the property to Disney, not his call
Read all the fine print of the contract already, have ye?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Ep 7 writers must be in a bit of a pickle. Canon to the right of them, canon to the left of them...
Here Thawn is, stuck in the middle with you...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:41 AM   #242
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

There's a new article posted on the Official Star Wars Blog that reveals just how long plans to actually do the sequel trilogy have been brewing. In the article, the author reveals the following:
Then on June 29, 2012, I found out. I was called into a meeting to discuss, oh, something or other about updating future messaging for Lucasfilm. In order for me to get a better grasp of what that future entailed, my boss just sprang the news on me that, and I quote, “We’re making seven, eight and nine.” He didn’t say Star Wars. He didn’t have to. Why else would those numbers have any relevance?
There's a lot more revealed in the article so I would suggest reading the whole thing, but thought that the above was rather important to share.
Old October 31 2012, 01:41 AM   #243
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I really liked the EU up until NJO.

NJO was just OK
EU, OK? O, I C.
Old October 31 2012, 01:42 AM   #244
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
and don't get me started on that hideous Cade Skywalker crap set more than a century after the Original Trilogy...those are some of the worst SW stories ever conceived.
I thought that Legacy was the best Star Wars story since TESB.
Same here. I thought it was pretty consistently excellent.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:43 AM   #245
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote:
I would imagine that professional fanboys in the entertainment industry like JJ Abrams will be lining up to get the chance to direct a Star Wars movie
You mean Abrams will be lining up to get the chance to direct another Star Wars movie.
Old October 31 2012, 01:44 AM   #246
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Whoever does the new Star Wars films will ignore the EU for the most part. They'll toss in some references to the EU but that's about it. There's no way they'll be able to keep track of it all and avoid contradicting it so they'll ignore it mostly.
Old October 31 2012, 01:48 AM   #247
Plain Simple
Commodore

Oh no, this is horrible news! SW already has the PT and OT, now what, a sequel trilogy? ST? We can't let Star Wars take that acronym away from Star Trek! To arms!

(To comply with the laws of the internet, I feel compelled to point out that, yes, that was sarcasm...)

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:50 AM   #248
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

They can always use the Yuuzhan Vong as the primary enemy of the new Trilogy, and every Trilogy needs a potent adversary capable of turning the entire galaxy on its ear. The Prequels had the Trade Federation, Separatists and the hidden Sith...the OT had the Galactic Empire and Sith (though the order was never mentioned by name on-screen)...and the Yuuzhan Vong could make for a very good enemy if handled just right. Even if characters like Chewbacca don't die in a cinematic Yuuzhan Vong storyline like they did in the novels they'd be pretty formidable adversaries for Luke, his friends and family and the New Republic. Think the Borg with personalities and more sadism.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:51 AM   #249
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

slashfilm has a good post:it is 4 pages
Your Questions Answered: What We Know and Speculate About ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ and Disney’s Purchase of LucasFilm

also:
Update: We're listening in to Disney's conference call right now, andDisney just confirmed that Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound are included in the transaction. It also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9.
The Verge
Let's just see how the next 3 films do. Obviously the franchise has room to tell other stories with feature films and TV series but every at least 3 films every decade?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:51 AM   #250
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote:
I would imagine that professional fanboys in the entertainment industry like JJ Abrams will be lining up to get the chance to direct a Star Wars movie
You mean Abrams will be lining up to get the chance to direct another Star Wars movie.
Old October 31 2012, 01:52 AM   #251
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Please no...no Vong.

There's much better stuff to do with EU ideas than the Vong.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:54 AM   #252
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
and don't get me started on that hideous Cade Skywalker crap set more than a century after the Original Trilogy...those are some of the worst SW stories ever conceived.
I thought that Legacy was the best Star Wars story since TESB.
Same here. I thought it was pretty consistently excellent.
Apparently, so does Newsarama. They list Legacy as the #3 most essential Star Wars comic.
Old October 31 2012, 01:55 AM   #253
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

I feel the same about the Clone Emperor stuff. Yeah...it'd give Ian McDiarmid another chance to shine as the best actor in the Saga but a resurrected Palpatine in a new body would destroy the emotional impact of the Emperor's defeat and destruction at the end of JEDI and the sacrifice of Anakin/Vader to fulfill the prophecy of the Chosen One and restore balance to the Force.

Palpatine isn't Spock after TWOK. Resurrecting him is just gratuitous and smacks of desperation over finding new villains for the victorious Rebels and New Republic to fight.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:56 AM   #254
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I hope Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm doesn't mean the end for Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars license. I think they've been putting out the best EU material for years now. Far better than most of Del Rey's recent output, at least.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 01:59 AM   #255
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
I am quite curious as to who will direct. As long as Lucas and his lap dog Dave Filoni stay away from it, it has the potential to be pretty good.
I love to see Joss Whedon to be involved, if his current contract was cancelled. But Duncan Jones pops into my mind, as someone I'd love to see involved. There are so many talented directors out there. Getting the right director is so important.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote