RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,091
Posts: 5,399,256
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 383
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old June 6 2013, 03:43 AM   #166
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

I've got the Spurs as sentimental favorites...
Borgminister is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 08:22 PM   #167
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
It's amazing what the Miami Heat have done so far in the three years they have been together. You have to go back to the 1996-98 Chicago Bulls to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the Eastern Conference, back to the 2000-02 LA Lakers to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the NBA.
The Heat have done well, but it is the east, afterall, so kind of mitigates the accomplishment, IMO. If they'd done it in the west, well that would have been something.

But if they pull this off, get their third title in franchise history (and since 2005-06), they will tie themselves with the Phialdelphia 76ers, Golden State Warriors, and Detroit Pistons for 5th-best all-time.
Wait, the Warriors have 3 championships? I haven't put the Google on this yet. Did they win 2 when the franchise was in Philly? I know they've only won 1 since coming to the Bay Area.
All in all, I think if they win this title, we can call Lebron's tenure in Miami a success. If they lose, they will have something to prove next season. Remember, Danny Granger and Derrick Rose will be back next season. Teams like Washington (John Wall, Bradley Beal, Emeka Okafor, Nene, #3 overall pick) and Cleveland (Kyrie Irving, #1 overall pick, Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson) look to be much improved next season. Remember, Detroit and Atlanta have deep pockets this summer to reshape their rosters. Brooklyn is a year older. And new salary cap restrictions will be put in place before the beginning of next season (the graduated Luxury Tax) that will affect the Miami Heat's roster. Dwyane Wade looks old and has had 2 straight postseasons with knee injuries that have limited his effectiveness.

Out west, San Antonio and Memphis may not be a threat, but Russell Westbrook will be back. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul will be free agents, possibly changing the outcome in the Western Conference. My point to all this is that Miami may not have as clear of a shot at the second NBA title with Lebron next season as they have right now. That will be great from a competitive standpoint, but not from the Heat's point-of-view.

Here's hoping they beat Duncan's Spurs, who have never lost in the NBA Finals.
Considering how hard it is to win an NBA championship, I think you could call LeBron's decision to go to Miami a success after last season.

Barring injuries (to Miami and Indy), I don't think any of the teams you mention will be serious championship contenders next season. Chicago might be if they can somehow manage to find a consistent offensive player besides Rose. So, you don't like the Knicks? Actually, they are as flawed a group as any in the east -- an odd mix of offensive talent who still don't play much deffense.

You don't think SA or Mem will be a threat next year? As long as the Spurs have Pop, Manu, Parker, and Duncan, they can contend. The Grizz just need to hold onto their coach and they will too, I think. But I agree, OKC will be back in the thick of the west mix next season.

The Heat have looked like a team trying to go back to back this playoffs, kind of ragged when they shouldn't -- that happens when you're trying to repeat. OTOH, their lack of competent bigs may really be a problem for them. I am looking forward to this Finals like I haven't since the Lakers reached down the throats of the Celts and took out their hearts in 2010.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 10:25 PM   #168
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

They won one in San Francisco, they won one NBA championship in Philly with Paul Arizin in 1956, and they have a BAA Championship in 1947 (make of that what you will).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 11:05 PM   #169
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

gblews wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
It's amazing what the Miami Heat have done so far in the three years they have been together. You have to go back to the 1996-98 Chicago Bulls to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the Eastern Conference, back to the 2000-02 LA Lakers to find a 3-time Conference Champion in the NBA.
The Heat have done well, but it is the east, afterall, so kind of mitigates the accomplishment, IMO. If they'd done it in the west, well that would have been something.

But if they pull this off, get their third title in franchise history (and since 2005-06), they will tie themselves with the Phialdelphia 76ers, Golden State Warriors, and Detroit Pistons for 5th-best all-time.
Wait, the Warriors have 3 championships? I haven't put the Google on this yet. Did they win 2 when the franchise was in Philly? I know they've only won 1 since coming to the Bay Area.
All in all, I think if they win this title, we can call Lebron's tenure in Miami a success. If they lose, they will have something to prove next season. Remember, Danny Granger and Derrick Rose will be back next season. Teams like Washington (John Wall, Bradley Beal, Emeka Okafor, Nene, #3 overall pick) and Cleveland (Kyrie Irving, #1 overall pick, Dion Waiters, Tristan Thompson) look to be much improved next season. Remember, Detroit and Atlanta have deep pockets this summer to reshape their rosters. Brooklyn is a year older. And new salary cap restrictions will be put in place before the beginning of next season (the graduated Luxury Tax) that will affect the Miami Heat's roster. Dwyane Wade looks old and has had 2 straight postseasons with knee injuries that have limited his effectiveness.

Out west, San Antonio and Memphis may not be a threat, but Russell Westbrook will be back. Dwight Howard and Chris Paul will be free agents, possibly changing the outcome in the Western Conference. My point to all this is that Miami may not have as clear of a shot at the second NBA title with Lebron next season as they have right now. That will be great from a competitive standpoint, but not from the Heat's point-of-view.

Here's hoping they beat Duncan's Spurs, who have never lost in the NBA Finals.
Considering how hard it is to win an NBA championship, I think you could call LeBron's decision to go to Miami a success after last season.

Barring injuries (to Miami and Indy), I don't think any of the teams you mention will be serious championship contenders next season. Chicago might be if they can somehow manage to find a consistent offensive player besides Rose. So, you don't like the Knicks? Actually, they are as flawed a group as any in the east -- an odd mix of offensive talent who still don't play much deffense.

You don't think SA or Mem will be a threat next year? As long as the Spurs have Pop, Manu, Parker, and Duncan, they can contend. The Grizz just need to hold onto their coach and they will too, I think. But I agree, OKC will be back in the thick of the west mix next season.

The Heat have looked like a team trying to go back to back this playoffs, kind of ragged when they shouldn't -- that happens when you're trying to repeat. OTOH, their lack of competent bigs may really be a problem for them. I am looking forward to this Finals like I haven't since the Lakers reached down the throats of the Celts and took out their hearts in 2010.
I think Indiana is a real Championship contender. Paul George and Danny Granger will carry the offense, they move Lance Stephenson into the sixth man role, much better for him. They do what every contending team traditionally does--they rebound the basketball, defend the opponent, and are fearless--and they are one of my favorite teams.

Watching Chicago this season, with Marco Belinelli and Nate Robinson, Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer, and Joakim Noah, they have all the talent to win a Championship if Derrick Rose comes back. I agree their offense revolved too much around Rose in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. However, this group has gone into an opposing arena and won a game seven when they were injured and sick. Add Rose to that mix, I expect them to be the number 1 contenders entering next season, not Miami.

I don't expect the Pistons and Hawks, Cavaliers and Wizards to contend (unless either the Pistons land Chris Paul, or the Hawks nail both Paul and Howard). I expect them to make the East more competitive, and I forgot to mention Toronto with Rudy Gay. I expect them to make the Conference tougher to win by grinding down the 3-time Conference Champion.

New York is not going to shoot the ball like it did this season. If they win 45 games next season, as constructed, they will meet my expectations. I don't think they are going to contend again. They will have to play either Miami, Indiana, Brooklyn, or Chicago in the first round next year. Good luck getting out of the first round of the playoffs. I have said, not here, that Carmelo Anthony is Bernard King, not Larry Bird to Lebron's Magic Johnson. He's just not that good.
HaventGotALife is offline  
Old June 6 2013, 11:56 PM   #170
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Watching Chicago this season, with Marco Belinelli and Nate Robinson, Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer, and Joakim Noah, they have all the talent to win a Championship if Derrick Rose comes back. I agree their offense revolved too much around Rose in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. However, this group has gone into an opposing arena and won a game seven when they were injured and sick. Add Rose to that mix, I expect them to be the number 1 contenders entering next season, not Miami.
The Bulls don't have that other "dog" a team needs in order to win a championship. They still do it too much by commitee. You have to have a couple of guys who can score when the defense is tight and physical in the last minutes of late round playoff games on the road. The Bulls have only one. Deng is good, but he has not shown himself to be one of those guys. Carlos Boozer DEFINITELY isn't. If they get that "other" guy, though, with the way they defend and rebound, they can get a ring.
I have said, not here, that Carmelo Anthony is Bernard King, not Larry Bird to Lebron's Magic Johnson. He's just not that good.
I wouldn't even call Melo a Bernard King, because Bernard was tough, but I do get your point.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 12:04 AM   #171
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
They won one in San Francisco, they won one NBA championship in Philly with Paul Arizin in 1956, and they have a BAA Championship in 1947 (make of that what you will).
BAA? What, is that like AAU?

So, Haven'tGotaLife, that means the if the Heat wins their third, the Warriors won't be at the party at the 3 time winner's club.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 01:09 AM   #172
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

gblews wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
They won one in San Francisco, they won one NBA championship in Philly with Paul Arizin in 1956, and they have a BAA Championship in 1947 (make of that what you will).
BAA? What, is that like AAU?

So, Haven'tGotaLife, that means the if the Heat wins their third, the Warriors won't be at the party at the 3 time winner's club.
Basketball Association of America. It merged with the National Basketball League to form the National Basketball Association. It's home to the Warriors, the Celtics, and the Knicks.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 01:48 AM   #173
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion



Today is the 12th anniversary of this game. Made me believe someone could knock off the Lakers.
HaventGotALife is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 01:50 AM   #174
Obiwansolo18
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

This game tonight has me so pumped up. I want it to be 9 already.
Obiwansolo18 is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 02:00 AM   #175
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Obiwansolo18 wrote: View Post
This game tonight has me so pumped up. I want it to be 9 already.
Here we go...who are you rooting for?
HaventGotALife is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 03:00 AM   #176
Obiwansolo18
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Rooting for no one just want a good series.
Obiwansolo18 is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 03:52 AM   #177
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

I'll be damned, Heat are running the triangle offense (not very well, but running it nonetheless).
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 04:53 AM   #178
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Good game Spurs.

Tony Parker with the incredible final shot! Talk about beating the clock by milliseconds!
Dream is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 12:31 PM   #179
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Indeed, that was by the barest of margins. I had to keep looking at the replay myself, not that I have the most observant eyes to begin with. It's hard to believe that Miami lost the game given how well they seemed to play the first 3 quarters. But the Spurs, while very talented, are among the most disciplined of teams, as well. They had 4 turnovers ... the whole game! The series is a long way from over, but this was tremendous, to take game 1 on the Heat's home floor. I can honestly say I don't care who wins, because I enjoy both teams tremendously.

Tim Duncan... HAS to be on the NBA's all-time Top 50, with a good case for being among the best power forwards ever
__________________
"Those who promote peace have joy."
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline  
Old June 7 2013, 02:04 PM   #180
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

Tim Duncan isn't just a Top 50. He should be a Top 10.

Jordan, Magic, Byrd, Wilt, Robertson, and Kareem are really the only players I'd put above him. There's an argument for Karl Malone, but the sheer efficiency and performance when it matters that Duncan brings to the table puts him ahead. I'd honestly put him above Shaq and that says quite a lot (Shaq is hurt by his poor freethrow performance).
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.