RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,346
Posts: 5,722,732
Members: 25,772
Currently online: 474
Newest member: Kevin L. Scales

TrekToday headlines

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2015, 04:30 PM   #1
voyager1
Lieutenant Commander
 
Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

Anyone have any thoughts on this one? My lit to read list is getting pretty long, but have heard about this one twice in recent listenings of Trek FM and was wondering if I need to add it to the list...
voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Sran
Commodore
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

voyager1 wrote: View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this one? My lit to read list is getting pretty long, but have heard about this one twice in recent listenings of Trek FM and was wondering if I need to add it to the list...
It's not a bad novel if read in isolation; however, there are several obvious inconsistencies between the novel and canon that may be easily discerned by watching "Cause and Effect." Furthermore, I didn't care for the way the TOS bunch (which makes a brief appearance at the novel's outset) was depicted, something that anyone who's read the book would understand.

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Kilana2
Fleet Captain
 
Kilana2's Avatar
 
Location: In a Honky Tonk down in Mexico
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

Diane Carey is a matter of taste. Ship of the line features Morgan Bateson from the 23th century taking command of the Enterprise-E while Picard is sent on a mission. This novel polarized. It´s up to you to read it. There is already a Ship of the Line thread, but it might contain spoilers.

My advise is: you may as well go ahead to another novel. Morgan Bateson appears also in Christopher´s DTI novel. He handles the dealing with temporal displaced Starfleet personnel better. So "Watching the Clock" is more recommendable.
__________________
No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man, behind blue eyes; No one knows what it's like to be hated, to be fated, to telling only lies. The Who
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

We had a review thread on this book last year : http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=244570
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 09:51 PM   #5
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral
 
lvsxy808's Avatar
 
Location: London
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

I've never read it myself, but I have never heard anyone ever say anything good about it. One of those that is legendarily bad, from what I can tell.

.
__________________
What happened between THE SOUL KEY and DESTINY? Find out in DEEP SPACE NINE SEASON 11 !

Read 11x15 "NEVER SEE IT COMING" now, or download as a pdf or ebook to read later!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Kilana2
Fleet Captain
 
Kilana2's Avatar
 
Location: In a Honky Tonk down in Mexico
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
I've never read it myself, but I have never heard anyone ever say anything good about it. One of those that is legendarily bad, from what I can tell.

.

Not as bad as Double Helix - Red Sector. That´s by Carey, too. I know people who enjoyed it, though.
__________________
No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man, behind blue eyes; No one knows what it's like to be hated, to be fated, to telling only lies. The Who
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2015, 10:23 PM   #7
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

Sran wrote: View Post

It's not a bad novel if read in isolation; however, there are several obvious inconsistencies between the novel and canon that may be easily discerned by watching "Cause and Effect."
--Sran
Not just that - a crucial conversation is undercut by the fact that Carey thinks Picard is tortured *before* he was captured and enslaved by the Borg.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 12:36 AM   #8
Sran
Commodore
 
Sran's Avatar
 
Location: The Captain's Table
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

^A consequence of Carey not knowing what she's talking about; she was always more comfortable writing TOS than she was any other series and should have stuck with Kirk & company. Don't even get me started on her Enterprise novelization of "Broken Bow."

--Sran
__________________
"Many things seem clever to an imbecile." --Captain Thelin th'Valrass, USS Enterprise-- "The Chimes at Midnight"
Sran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 04:42 AM   #9
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

I think Carey did a fantastic job on "Ship Of The Line" and "Broken Bow" (her novelization of BB was better than the stupid episode, hands down). "Ship of The Line" is one of the few TNG books that I've read 3 times.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 10:13 AM   #10
Kilana2
Fleet Captain
 
Kilana2's Avatar
 
Location: In a Honky Tonk down in Mexico
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I think Carey did a fantastic job on "Ship Of The Line" and "Broken Bow" (her novelization of BB was better than the stupid episode, hands down). "Ship of The Line" is one of the few TNG books that I've read 3 times.
Did you enjoy Red Sector, too?

As I once said: if I had the choice I would prefer Ship of the Line over Red Sector. Both are definitely not among my all-time favorites.
__________________
No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man, behind blue eyes; No one knows what it's like to be hated, to be fated, to telling only lies. The Who
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 11:05 AM   #11
mickmike
Commander
 
mickmike's Avatar
 
Location: far beyond the stars
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

I think I was about 14 when this book came out. I remember getting it for christmas. It didn't really do it for me, even as a 14 year old.
mickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 11:09 AM   #12
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

Kilana2 wrote: View Post

Did you enjoy Red Sector, too?

As I once said: if I had the choice I would prefer Ship of the Line over Red Sector. Both are definitely not among my all-time favorites.
I just barely remember Red Sector as being part of the Double Helix, and being a bit tired of the story. Of course I was also reading the DH omnibus, and after reading 3/4 of it, I needed to put it down and read something else.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post

It's not a bad novel if read in isolation; however, there are several obvious inconsistencies between the novel and canon that may be easily discerned by watching "Cause and Effect."
--Sran
Not just that - a crucial conversation is undercut by the fact that Carey thinks Picard is tortured *before* he was captured and enslaved by the Borg.
And it's somehow set after Worf joins the crew of Deep Space 9 but before the Klingons invade Cardassia.
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2015, 05:36 PM   #14
Dukhat
Rear Admiral
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I think Carey did a fantastic job on "Ship Of The Line" and "Broken Bow" (her novelization of BB was better than the stupid episode, hands down). "Ship of The Line" is one of the few TNG books that I've read 3 times.
Are you Diane Carey?

And honestly, I'm no fan of ENT myself, but what she did with the novelization of BB was nothing short of unprofessionalism.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2015, 12:14 AM   #15
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Ship of the Line by Diane Carey

Stevil2001 wrote: View Post
JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Sran wrote: View Post
It's not a bad novel if read in isolation; however, there are several obvious inconsistencies between the novel and canon that may be easily discerned by watching "Cause and Effect."
Not just that - a crucial conversation is undercut by the fact that Carey thinks Picard is tortured *before* he was captured and enslaved by the Borg.
And it's somehow set after Worf joins the crew of Deep Space 9 but before the Klingons invade Cardassia.
That book so badly needed a rewrite and an edit. I see it as a joint failure of Carey and Ordover, and I feel like it was published in an unfinished state.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.