RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 534
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 29 2012, 10:58 PM   #91
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Timby wrote: View Post
Miller also actively disdained the Hall, for much the same reasons that he fought against baseball in the first place -- and he vowed to boycott the ceremony if he was ever inducted. This isn't Phil Rizzuto or Ron Santo, where it would have made his entire life to go in.
Murray Chass wrote that one of the reasons Miller was kept out of the running for the HOF was that people were afraid of what he would say at the induction ceremony...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 30 2012, 03:47 AM   #92
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Timby, you can stop gloating. Phils pass on Upton and he signs with the Braves (5 years, $75.25 million).
That's not as awful of an overpay as I was expecting, but it's still going out on a pretty creaky limb. I would not want to be locking up a guy that's very much living on the edge of total collapse for five years. I guess if you want to believe that there's also some chance Upton will ever play back to 2007, he's a high risk / high reward guy, but he feels more like a high risk / medium reward guy, and at that type of commitment I'd rather just sign Josh Hamilton.

Or, put another way, B.J. Upton swing percentage on pitches outside of the zone by year:

2008: 15.0%
2009: 19.6%
2010: 25.3%
2011: 27.2%
2012: 32.7%

And the walk and K rates are catching up to that.
Old November 30 2012, 04:07 AM   #93
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
First-time eligible players for the 2013 Hall of Fame:

Sandy Alomar Jr.
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds

Jeff Cirillo
Royce Clayton
Roger Clemens
Jeff Conine
Steve Finley
Julio Franco
Shawn Green
Roberto Hernandez
Ryan Klesko
Kenny Lofton
Jose Mesa
Mike Piazza
Reggie Sanders
Curt Schilling
Aaron Sele
Sammy Sosa
Mike Stanton
Todd Walker
David Wells
Rondell White
Woody Williams
It'll be interesting to see if Bonds, Clemens and Sosa get the same treatment that Palmeiro and McGwire have so far. Biggio, Schilling and Piazza all deserve to get it, but I'm not sure if their numbers are strong enough for a 1st ballot. Also with all the big names popping up this year(and more to come in 2014), how will this effect Bagwell and Morris, both of whom got pretty close last time. Should be interesting to see if we'll even get a Hall of Famer this year, with so many people with good numbers to vote for.
Old November 30 2012, 04:16 AM   #94
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

BBWAA members can select ten players on their ballot. This is the one true ballot:

Ser Barrold of House Bonds
Mike Piazza
Roger Clemens
Tim Raines
Craig Biggio
Jeff Bagwell
Curt Schilling
Larry Walker
Mark McGwire
Pick your personal favorite of Edgar / Trammell / Lofton / etc. because there is only room for one of them (it should be Lofton)
Old December 1 2012, 01:10 AM   #95
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I would love for Mike Piazza to make it first ballot, but I don't think he will. While a great hitter, he was a pedestrian catcher. I know that he has the most Home Runs of any catcher but is that a reason to be put into the Hall of Fame?

On other Mets news, looks like the Mets have wrapped up David Wright till 2020. It's an 8 year, $140 million dollar deal.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old December 1 2012, 04:58 AM   #96
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Cubs are reportedly in on Michael "career OPS+ of 90" Bourn.

Kill me.
Old December 1 2012, 01:03 PM   #97
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Sandy Claws wrote: View Post
I would love for Mike Piazza to make it first ballot, but I don't think he will. While a great hitter, he was a pedestrian catcher. I know that he has the most Home Runs of any catcher but is that a reason to be put into the Hall of Fame?

On other Mets news, looks like the Mets have wrapped up David Wright till 2020. It's an 8 year, $140 million dollar deal.
Piazza had a few years in his prime where he hit for power and average, but he really tailed off later in his career. He could jack one out of the park, but was more or less a one trick pony. His defense was atrocious, but he did handle the pitchers well.

As for Wright, I'm glad they locked him up. He's a perennial all star who finally seemed to figure out Shiti Field last year. The duration scares me. It's not quite the A-Rod or Pujols deals where they are signed until they are AARP eligible, but it's close.
Old December 2 2012, 03:05 PM   #98
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
Cubs are reportedly in on Michael "career OPS+ of 90" Bourn.

Kill me.
Bourn was a great asset for us last year. He was always on base, it seemed like. He does strike out a lot, but if he makes contact with the ball, he's getting on base. He's not going to sign with the Cubs though, don't worry.

Intersted about the Upton signing. He's making hints that he wants the Braves to go after Justin, too. He actually seems really excited to be here.

Angels fans, enjoy Tommy Hanson. He's a Boras brat that never seemed to really like Atlanta, so maybe he'll perform better in LA. I feel bad for Jurrjens because he is a nice guy and a great pitcher that just seemed to have a meltdown last year. I'm REALLY going to miss Peter Moylan. That dude is hilarious.
Old December 2 2012, 08:16 PM   #99
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The Cubs sign Japanese closer Fujikawa to 2-year deal

The deal is reportedly worth 9.5 million, $1M signing bonus plus $4M per year.

Good deal or no?
Old December 2 2012, 08:29 PM   #100
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
The Cubs sign Japanese closer Fujikawa to 2-year deal

The deal is reportedly worth 9.5 million, $1M signing bonus plus $4M per year.

Good deal or no?
Good deal. There's also a $5.5 million option that vests based on games finished. If it doesn't vest, it becomes a club option.

You can never have too many assets, and Fujikawa is an asset, considering he has a 1.36 ERA in Japan and a world-class fastball. It's not like signing him is going to change their long-term plans, and there's a very good chance it's part of the long-term plans. If he performs well, they can trade him for more long-term pieces, or they can spin Marmol (my gut instinct is that he's gone after the winter meetings). Or, maybe he's effective for six or seven years and they keep him around. Not every move you make has to be acquiring young, cost-controlled talent.
Old December 3 2012, 06:03 PM   #101
Tom Servo
Commodore

Boston lands Napoli for 3/39 per multiple sources. Not a bad deal I'd say. He fills a need, an they kept the deal to under four years.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old December 3 2012, 06:18 PM   #102
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

John Kruk is replacing Terry Francona on Sunday Night Baseball. KILL. ME. NOW.
Old December 3 2012, 09:39 PM   #103
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Wellll...um...he's got decent power for a catcher?

Decent power, low walks, low average, high strikeouts, moderately durable. No clue how he is at throwing out runners or talking a pitcher off the ledge. (The AL West is not my specialty.)

$13M a year for that??? WTF are you thinking Boston?

I'm going to be 33 in exactly 7 weeks from today. I'm left handed, have a pulse, and know the difference between first base and a foul pole. I'm squandering millions I could be making by getting one aging, overweight lefty pinch hitter out in the 7th inning twice a week. Where the fuck did I go wrong in life?
Old December 3 2012, 10:47 PM   #104
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
John Kruk is replacing Terry Francona on Sunday Night Baseball. KILL. ME. NOW.
At least it's not Bobby V again.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 3 2012, 11:20 PM   #105
Tom Servo
Commodore

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Wellll...um...he's got decent power for a catcher?

Decent power, low walks, low average, high strikeouts, moderately durable. No clue how he is at throwing out runners or talking a pitcher off the ledge. (The AL West is not my specialty.)

$13M a year for that??? WTF are you thinking Boston?

I'm going to be 33 in exactly 7 weeks from today. I'm left handed, have a pulse, and know the difference between first base and a foul pole. I'm squandering millions I could be making by getting one aging, overweight lefty pinch hitter out in the 7th inning twice a week. Where the fuck did I go wrong in life?
He'll be playing first mostly first base. Listen, the Red Sox needed a middle of the order, right handed power bat. Oh, they also needed a first baseman, since they have NONE in the system who project to be a star major league player. Yes they overpaid for Napoli, but they kept the years down. And now they have a guy who has a high OPB, hits for power, and takes a lot of pitches. A grinder, which is exactly what they needed. They have money to spend he is was the best available option to fit that need and keep the years on the shorter end.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Closed Thread