TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Original Lord of the Rings films?

Gaith wrote: View Post
I would love it, but the scale is so different. It truly builds up to a great finish with The High King and the Black Cauldron is great, but some of the stories are relatively small in scale, especially The Book of Three.
Old October 28 2012, 08:27 PM   #17
inflatabledalek
Captain

Well, in order to drag out The Hobbit to three full length films they're going to have be be adding lots, and lots, and lots of new stuff. Whether it's been created especially for the films or taken from Tolkein Jr's Hey Look, I Found Some More Scribbles My Dad Wrote And Probably Never Wanted Anyone To See Considering He Thought Them Crap Enough Not To Continue Them Past The Second Sentence But I Have A Cash Cow To Milk tones I haven't been following closely enough to say for sure, but either way, there's a hell of a lot more than the book to enjoy in there.

To be honest, I'd much rather they'd have done one good Hobbit film (which wouldn't actually need to be more than two hours long) and then two full on LOTR sequels with all the stuff people expect. The problem with trying to turn The Hobbit into the big EPIC film franchise is it's actually a deeply silly, fun kids book at heart.
Old October 28 2012, 09:10 PM   #18
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Am I the only one who saw the thread title and assumed it was about the original animated versions?

Different kind of "original," I guess.
Old October 28 2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who saw the thread title and assumed it was about the original animated versions?
No.

inflatabledalek wrote:
Tolkein Jr's Hey Look, I Found Some More Scribbles My Dad Wrote And Probably Never Wanted Anyone To See Considering He Thought Them Crap Enough Not To Continue Them Past The Second Sentence But I Have A Cash Cow To Milk tones
Old October 28 2012, 09:52 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

No.

As to the original question, I'm also in the 'leave-well-enough- camp. We got three brilliant films, quite possibly the strongest and most consistently good film trilogy that's been made (maybe Bourne could rival it). And now hopefully we'll get a Hobbit trilogy that is of the same or similar quality.

But I can't see how standalone adventures in Middle Earth could hope to keep to that standard and I think that they will inevitably disappoint. I'm not just thinking of the Star Wars prequels but things like the Babylon Five spin-offs. LOTR and The Hobbit are contained stories which have a beginning, middle and end. For all that Tolkien wrote about Middle Earth - and let's remember that it was his baby and he's dead now - I don't necessarily think that we need to have countless stories told about that domain.
Old October 28 2012, 10:43 PM   #21
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

God no!

I've read some of the abomination novels that were the expanded Dune universe stuff and it was horrible compared to the originals.

I don't want that to happen to LotR in a million years.

Best bet is to film some stories from the Silmarillion.. the huge battles against Morgoth (who lets Sauron look like a noob) would make for epic eyecandy interwoven with Beren and Luthien's story.

That's about it.. sometimes you just need to let things go. I don't know if Jackson has it in him to invest yet another decade into the LotR universe.
Old October 28 2012, 11:14 PM   #22
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

No.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 11:37 PM   #23
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
What would really interest me would be something that started from the two chapters Tolkien wrote of "The New Shadow," his unfinished sequel to The Lord of the Rings. However, a CJRT who isn't willing to sell the movie rights to The Silmarillion probably isn't going to sell the movie rights to "The New Shadow."
This along with Silmarillion and The History of Middle-earth material could convince me regarding further films, nothing else.

Out of interest, are Nick Perumov's Ring of Darkness novels any good, and where can I get English translations ?

Last edited by Relayer1; October 29 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 12:41 AM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Out of interest, are Nick Perumov's Ring of Darkness novels any good, and where can I get English translations ?
To be honest, I have no idea if they're any good. I don't read Russian, and no English translations (except for a little of the first book) exist. The summary I've read, however, sounds like it makes a lot of sense -- a sorcerer from the East goes on a quest to gather the Nine Rings, which aren't as powerless as Tolkien claimed. (That never made sense to me, btw. The Three, Seven, and Nine were all made and empowered before the forging of the One, so the destruction of the One wouldn't have completely stripped them of their power.)

Here's a plot summary.

The complete Russian text is here.

allyngibson.net

Last edited by Allyn Gibson; October 29 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 12:57 AM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
I would love it, but the scale is so different. It truly builds up to a great finish with The High King and the Black Cauldron is great, but some of the stories are relatively small in scale, especially The Book of Three.
Very true - which is why I suggest combining TBOT and TBC in the linked thread. Still, you're right, the scale would be much smaller, far more Original SW Trilogy than Prequel Trilogy.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 01:21 AM   #26
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Where there's a whip, Mr. Cox, there's an army of dog-nosed grey-skinned flabby orcs walking across a watercolour.
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
To be honest, I have no idea if they're any good. I don't read Russian, and no English translations (except for a little of the first book) exist.
According to Wikipedia, though, Perumov followed his sale of his LOTR trilogy with a few dozen fantasy novels in his own setting(s). And really adapting stuff that is inspired by LOTR but legally distinct from it interests me a little more than original fiction by an author (Gaith's Prydain example probably relevant also here, I mostly only know of that series because of the Disney movie), because it wipes clean any frustrations or disappointments in how they handle Tolkien's subject matter.

Last edited by Kegg; October 29 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 02:19 AM   #27
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think The Asylum should buy the movie rights to the Shannara books.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 02:38 AM   #28
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
Very true - which is why I suggest combining TBOT and TBC in the linked thread. Still, you're right, the scale would be much smaller, far more Original SW Trilogy than Prequel Trilogy.
That's what the Disney cartoon did. I'd prefer they not go back down that road again.
Old October 29 2012, 02:39 AM   #29
Kegg
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Sonar Entertainment is way ahead of them. Maybe they could snap up the rights to Eragon and make another showing in that.
Old October 29 2012, 03:01 AM   #30
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
That... makes a disturbing amount of sense.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote