Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Original Lord of the Rings films?

I watched a trailer for The Hobbit when I saw Dredd today and it made me a little sad to realize that this wonderful, rich universe is soon coming to an end. Two more films and then never again will we see a hobbit. Well, why? Why does it have to end here?

So I've been thinking. What about continuing the franchise with completely original films set in the LOTR universe? We could have a film that chronicles the adventures of King Aragorn as he seeks to repair a broken and hostile land after the destruction wrought by Sauron or another trilogy following the adventures of Tyrande the elf as she finds herself in the middle of an Elvish civil war. Who the hell is Tyrande? Exactly.

I imagine that this won't be a very popular idea, but I think it would be fantastic. We have the books for the original, unaltered storyline whenever we want, so why not let the adaptation, well, adapt it?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:18 AM   #2
NCC1701MF
Captain

Re: Original Lord of the Rings films?

You may want to check out some fan made films.
Here are links to 2 of them
http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/
and
http://www.bornofhope.com/

"I have many skills" - Xena
"Make it so" - Picard
NCC1701MF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Who the hell is Tyrande?
Glad you asked. And there's actually a decent chance of that Tyrande appearing on the silver screen, since they're making a Warcraft movie.

I don't know. Sure, I love the LOTR films and I am eagerly awaiting the first Hobbit film. And I could see a good argument for a film about Beren and Luthien or in the unlikely event the rights were got for the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin, however unlikely that is or whatever issues there would be in adaption.

But at a certain point past that.. well, what is the point? When we start talking about Tyrande the elf, then we may as well just start talking about one of the nine billion franchises in literature and gaming that have taken extensive 'inspiration' from Tolkein's opus and give them films too (like, again, the Warcraft movie. Or that Shannara TV series. Or whatever.) It has all the benefits of 'more stories about elves and dwarves!' without any issues as to whether or not these additional stories seem redundant with regards to LOTR.
Old October 28 2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'd concur - there are some parts of Silmarillion you could use as standalone stories -- B&L are an obvious choice but Túrin might work too - or even Fëanor. No need to come up with totally new things and set it in some corner of Middle-Earth.

Aragorn's time in Gondor and Rohan is a possibility, and maybe even the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 02:04 AM   #5
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Ahem.

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

So I've been thinking. What about continuing the franchise with completely original films set in the LOTR universe?
I would actually be interested in that. I'm not sure if New Line's deal with Tolkien Enterprises would allow them to do that, however.

What would really interest me would be something that started from the two chapters Tolkien wrote of "The New Shadow," his unfinished sequel to The Lord of the Rings. However, a CJRT who isn't willing to sell the movie rights to The Silmarillion probably isn't going to sell the movie rights to "The New Shadow."

Almost as interesting would be if New Line picked up the rights for an adaptation of Nick Perumov's Ring of Darkness trilogy, an unauthorized Russian sequel to The Lord of the Rings. Uniquely among the Russian expansions of Middle-Earth, Perumov's work isn't revisionist (from what I understand). It would certainly pose an interesting legal question -- if you have the rights of adaptation to The Lord of the Rings, would those rights extend to cover an unauthorized sequel? In other words, would Tolkien Enterprises' legal rights to LOTR adaptations protect New Line from a legal challenge by the Tolkien estate over the unauthorized sequel? It's an interesting question.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 02:14 AM   #7
sojourner
Admiral

Tolkien did attempt a sequel book at one point, but abandoned it as basically being "too mundane" with the race of man being ascendant in the fourth age. The plot was something about men fighting witches if I recall.
Old October 28 2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Lord Of The Rings: The Phantom Menace.

What could possibly go wrong?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 05:47 AM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

Better than Lord of the Rings 2: Electric Boogaloo!
Old October 28 2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Or Lord of the Rings: The Next Generation...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral

I'd still love to see a movie about Aragorn in his youth. Learning of his heritage, meeting Arwen for the first time, serving King Thengel of Rohan and Steward Ecthelion of Gondor, battling the Corsairs of Umbar, and hunting down Gollum after he escaped from Mordor and taking him to the Elves in Mirkwood. That could be fun.

Last edited by Skywalker; October 28 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 06:48 AM   #12
JD
Admiral

I could see that working. It would give us a more direct connection the LOTR movies than some of the other stuff mentioned in the thread, which would be a big plus when it comes to attracting an audience.
Old October 28 2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

Agreed. I think the biggest issue with the idea right now (at least with the way I described it) is it seems more like a series of episodes instead of a cohesive narrative. But I'm sure any professional screenwriter worth his or her salt could come up with something to tie it all together.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Or Lord of the Rings: The Next Generation...
An unwelcome continuation of the original canon that resulted in two of the greatest science fiction shows ever made (and one decent show) and a rich 24th century Star Trek universe? I'm willing to risk a Phantom Menace if it means we may get a TNG.

I understand that this idea seems like a series of episodes, but doesn't The Hobbit have the same feel? It's an unnecessary prequel starring a minor character that never would have been deemed important enough for a film (let alone three!) if The Hobbit wasn't already a novel. But despite that, the films are most likely going to be fantastic and rake in billions at the box office.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

...if The Hobbit wasn't already a novel.
Oh, you're really cheating the argument by slipping that little caveat in there.

We were reading The Hobbit when I was in grade school, before LOTR took my generation by storm (there was no authorized inexpensive edition of the trilogy widely available in this country in those days that I know of). The book would probably have been made and remade as movies by this time, if LOTR hadn't followed it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote