Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 29 2012, 03:48 AM   #16
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Episode of the Week: Datalore

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Was I the only one who found Brent Spiner's portrayal of Lore to be too hammy? I preferred the "Brothers" portrayal where he was slightly maniacal, but not over the top Shatner-ish.
Probably. I liked how Lore was pretty much the exact opposite of Data.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 09:30 AM   #17
inflatabledalek
Captain

Two weeks behind! Eeek.

Script wise this is a mess for many of the reasons outlined above (I also think the timeframe it establishes for Data having been amongst humans is much longer than the original intent and it therefore feels odd how inexperienced he has been- and will continue to be- portrayed. Did he not learn anything in all those years?).

But there are three people helping it box above its weight, Rob Bowman who- as with The Battle- directs the hell out of mediocre material to make it feel more full blown and operatic than pretty much any non-Bowman episode that year.

Secondly, Ron Jones. A score that should feel embarrassed to be associated with some of the Weslesy scenes it accompanies.

And Brent Spiner. Yes Lore is pure ham, but equally suits the episode perfectly and is never less than entertaining. He's just pure fun, in a way only Q has been so far amongst the enemies of the week they've encountered.

As a final thought, what exactly is it about the order "Make it so" that's so hard to fathom out, even if you've never heard the phrase before?
Old October 30 2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Captrek
Rear Admiral

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
As a final thought, what exactly is it about the order "Make it so" that's so hard to fathom out, even if you've never heard the phrase before?
Or at least have the presence of mind to stay in character. “What purpose would be served by inducing the crystal entity to perform needlework?” would have been good.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
inflatabledalek
Captain

Trek or treat wrote: View Post
inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Or at least have the presence of mind to stay in character. “What purpose would be served by inducing the crystal entity to perform needlework?” would have been good.
It really doesn't help how Lore makes no effort whatsoever to pretend to act like Data does it? He might as well be wearing a t-shirt with "I'm an evil doppelgänger- ask me how!" on it and Picard still wouldn't listen to Wesley's warning.

There's got to be something badly wrong in an episode where Wesley is pretty much right throughout and the other characters are all deeply stupid in comparison yet he still comes off as the sort of person you actually quite like seeing get set on fire by Lore.
Old October 30 2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

It really doesn't help how Lore makes no effort whatsoever to pretend to act like Data does it?
Dunno. The idea isn't that he's a criminal mastermind. The idea is that he's a deranged psychopath...

I also think the timeframe it establishes for Data having been amongst humans is much longer than the original intent and it therefore feels odd how inexperienced he has been- and will continue to be- portrayed. Did he not learn anything in all those years?
A flip side of that coin is how little Starfleet has found out about Data or his erstwhile homeworld in the intervening years.

Admittedly, the crew of the Tripoli didn't yet witness the full extent of the Crystalline Entity's powers of evil: the vegetation was not yet dead, but merely dying. But they did witness a large scale Marie Celeste phenomenon, and had found no plausible explanation for the disappearance of the local colony. Surely this would warrant further study to protect other colonies in the region?

Perhaps we are to assume that the reclusive Omicron Theta folks were the only ones in the general region, and Starfleet thus felt it had time to sort it all out before further colonization attempts took place...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote