The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 12 2012, 03:54 AM   #1
RB_Kandy
Commander

Trek morality

I have a question about the morality of our enlightened future.
Here's the scenario: You (a member of starfleet) make first contact with an alien species. You talk and exchange gifts and the like. All is going good. Except suddenly one of them approaches you and asks for asylum. When you ask what the asylum is for, he tells you that he is going to be beaten and starved until death, for an act which is not considered a crime in the federation.
The ambassadors who were kind to you, politely explain that this act, while it may be seen as harmless in the Federation, is one of the most horrible crimes in their world. It breaks one of the founding religious and cultural principals, and all who commit this action must be punished this way.

Do you grant this man asylum?
By doing so, you would have delivered the deepest possible insult to their culture, and spit on their religion, and interfere with their legal and political affairs.
What would your personal choice be? and what decision is expected of you as a Starfleet officer?
RB_Kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trek morality

"Beaten and starved to death" would probably be the tipping point for a Starfleet Officer.
Old October 12 2012, 04:46 AM   #3
Elvira
Vice Admiral

In order to give a reasonable answer concerning asylum, we really would have to know what the offense was/is.

A Occamp would consider impregnating a two year old female by her beau to be perfectly legal. Other civilizations might take a different view.

Is the person asking for asylum withholding the exact "criminal charge" from the member of Starfleet that they approached, explaining only the penalty?

Based solely on the information presented, I'd have to say no to asylum.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 06:01 AM   #4
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Taking the scenario at face value, I would think that the Starfleet captain would place a higher priority on the persons life than vagaries like culture and religion or political expediency.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 06:33 AM   #5
teacock
Admiral

What if an unrepentant human serial killer sought asylum from a species with no rules about murder in order to escape being imprisoned for life on a Federation penal colony?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Tiberius
Commodore

I think the Prime Directive, while well-intentioned, is still deeply flawed.

Let's say they come across a planet where they believe that if they do not sacrifice a hundred people the wet season won't come. Sure, it's their particular belief, but is a belief that is demonstrably wrong worth the lives of a hundred people each year?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 06:41 AM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

By letter of the Prime Directive that Starfleet officer shouldn't interfere. Then again by letter of the Prime Directive you shouldn't stop someone from beating a pregnant woman to death because that kid might grow up to be Hitler.

Really doesn't matter anyways. Starfleet breaks it all the time with no consequences.
Old October 12 2012, 06:55 AM   #8
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
What if an unrepentant human serial killer sought asylum from a species with no rules about murder in order to escape being imprisoned for life on a Federation penal colony?
Seems like that would be the kind of problem that solves itself.
Old October 12 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

Doesn't this fall under the PD non-interferrence clause?

Just because something is not a crime where you live, doesn't mean it's not a crime where that person lives.

It would be likely that a person from a particular culture would know what he did was against the law and what the punishment is for that crime.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Tiberius
Commodore

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
By letter of the Prime Directive that Starfleet officer shouldn't interfere. Then again by letter of the Prime Directive you shouldn't stop someone from beating a pregnant woman to death because that kid might grow up to be Hitler.

Really doesn't matter anyways. Starfleet breaks it all the time with no consequences.
There's a good real-world example. How many times have children died from easily treatable illnesses because the parents decide to pray instead of going to the doctor? Should they be punished for letting their kids die?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

^Well I'm sure a legal case could be made for putting them on trial. As they would be subject to the laws of the land.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If its a straight up 'YES' or 'NO', then I'd go with rejecting asylum.

But it doesn't mean that I wouldn't try to work out a solution where I could grant asylum. Letting the planetary officials know that asylum would serve the same purpose as death in the case, as they'd never see the offender again, and that it would be a positive step in relations.
Old October 12 2012, 03:15 PM   #13
sonak
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
If its a straight up 'YES' or 'NO', then I'd go with rejecting asylum.

But it doesn't mean that I wouldn't try to work out a solution where I could grant asylum. Letting the planetary officials know that asylum would serve the same purpose as death in the case, as they'd never see the offender again, and that it would be a positive step in relations.

this is a pretty good answer. I think the granting of asylum would wreck whatever relations with the culture were trying to be established.

I think the PD is mostly a pile of crap, but I also think interfering in other cultures' affairs every time we don't like something that goes on is a recipe for disaster and frequent wars.

So, short answer-no. Longer answer-try to negotiate for asylum rather than just unilaterally granting it. If the other government were vehemently against it, then I'd reluctantly accept that.

Last edited by sonak; October 12 2012 at 09:02 PM.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 03:50 PM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Any captain who would or wouldn't grant asylum without convening a formal hearing in the circumstances presented doesn't deserve their rank. As we're not being given pertinent information that likely would emerge during such a hearing, I don't feel it's appropriate to answer the question.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 05:58 PM   #15
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
There's a good real-world example. How many times have children died from easily treatable illnesses because the parents decide to pray instead of going to the doctor? Should they be punished for letting their kids die?
Hell yes.