RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 433
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7 2013, 10:09 AM   #511
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

I hope the next director doesn't make a film as dull, plodding, and ultimately pointless as Skyfall, which had a hero that didn't emote at all. It had more plot holes than most time travel films.
Old March 7 2013, 10:35 AM   #512
Starkers
Admiral

Whereas I imagine the studio are hoping whoever makes the next film makes one as unbelievably financially succesful and critically acclaimed as SkyFall

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:31 AM   #513
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I reckon they'll go after Danny Boyle next time. Possibly Chris Nolan, if these rumours about him taking over the JL franchise for WB aren't true.
Old March 7 2013, 12:04 PM   #514
Starkers
Admiral

I'm not sure I want either of them (sacrilege I know) although of the two I'd take Boyle.

Boyle is visually a good director, I just find him a bit of a magpie, always lifting stuff from other people/other films, so his stuff always feels a little derivative (Sunshine, starts off as 2010, turns into Event Horizon for no readily apparent reason) and I still fail to believe that no one working on 28 Days Later had read/seen/heard of Day of the Triffids.

Nolan I like a lot, although I find I’m liking him less and less now he has more and more creative control and makes increasingly bloated films. If he could reign himself in then he’d make a great Bond film, I’m just not sure he can. I love the first half of Inception, he just goes too far with it (to quote the language of the film it has one level too many) and whilst Rises was fantastic in places, it was terrible in others with too much story jammed into its long run time. It’s a shame because for a long time Nolan was the one director who never disappointed me.

If it were me I’d get Kenneth Brannagh to do it…

As an interesting Skyfall related side note, I believe Deakins is moving into directing (which could be a fantastic, or might work out like Baird’s stab at direction…)

Old March 7 2013, 12:24 PM   #515
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Branagh would work too.

I must admit, I like Boyle's style for the same reasons you've listed! I think it makes him very diverse and unpredictable. And I think if he were to make a Bond movie, he'd probably make it very stylish, maybe Hitchcockian (sort of North by Northwest meets 1960s 007).

I think after Skyfall's success, they will probably look for another British director of comparable clout to Mendes, so after the three just mentioned, the list is probably quite short. Roger Mitchell (who has already worked with Craig IIRC)? David Yates? Matthew Vaughn?
Old March 7 2013, 01:24 PM   #516
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah Boyle is definitely hard to pigeonhole. It will be interesting to see who they get next, given past choices it may be that they go a bit left field next time for someone completely unexpected.

Old March 7 2013, 01:46 PM   #517
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I'd go for someone like Rian Johnson, Duncan Jones or Gareth Evans.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:49 PM   #518
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yes, yes and yes. I'd be quite happy to see any of them taking the reins.
Old March 7 2013, 03:07 PM   #519
Starkers
Admiral

Well Jones is going to be tied up with Warcraft isn't he? And neither Johnson or Edwards would have done anything on the scale of a Bond film. Looper was fantastic and Monsters dull though, so given the choice I'd go with Johnson!

Old March 7 2013, 07:49 PM   #520
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
You do kinda have to feel sorry for the next guy...
Director- I can do this. No problem. When's the premiere?

Assistant-Next week.

Director- WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS SAY SOMETHING! Here's 50 dollars. Hire a street walker and clean up my ford taurus!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 08:27 PM   #521
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I hope the next director doesn't make a film as dull, plodding, and ultimately pointless as Skyfall, which had a hero that didn't emote at all. It had more plot holes than most time travel films.
Well you'll be let down then. Skyfall was critically acclaimed and did well financially. The studio will want the next Bond film to be just like Skyfall.
Old March 7 2013, 11:47 PM   #522
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Christopher Nolan I'd want to see as a director at some point.

But I finally want to see a proper, full blown James Bond film with Daniel Craig. I don't want to see any more of "that's how he became Bond, that's how everything was put into place".

Gun barrell at the beginning, and Oddjob/Jaws like henchman, a villain with a world dominating plan and a secret base inside a volcano, and at the end, after everything blew up, Bond gets the girl.

Give me that again.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 11:49 PM   #523
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

But I finally want to see a proper, full blown James Bond film with Daniel Craig. I don't want to see any more of "that's how he became Bond, that's how everything was put into place".

Gun barrell at the beginning, and Oddjob/Jaws like henchman, a villain with a world dominating plan and a secret base inside a volcano, and at the end, after everything blew up, Bond gets the girl.

Give me that again.
No.

They've done that already. The same way Star Trek proved in 2009 that there's money (and eyeballs) to be made/delivered with a new approach to an old property, Skyfall delivered exponentially.

You're deluding yourself if you think for a second Eon isn't going to capitalize on the success of Skyfall in every way they can.
Old March 8 2013, 12:05 AM   #524
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Give me that again.
Almost all the Bond films that actually follow that format (and there aren't as many as you think) aren't very good.
Old March 8 2013, 12:08 AM   #525
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I like the Craig films very much, although I do wish they'd move the gunbarrel back to the beginning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote