Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 3 2013, 01:54 PM   #466
JeffreyAbrams
Ensign

Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
"Skyfall crossed a billion dollars. Can it win an Oscar?
Best Cinematography I hope and guess.
JeffreyAbrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:56 PM   #467
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

It probably has a strong chance of winning the best song.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:58 PM   #468
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Did he really fail the tests because he's actually bad at target practice, or was he trying to make it seem like he was bad at them?
No, it's the former. I thought it was pretty obvious. That's why he was surprised when he found out he didn't pass later on.

The movie itself was also an excuse.. for itself. He had to chase down and beat up a bad guy in Shanghai. Why? Because Shanghai looked kewl.
Couldn't the same be said for Jamaica, Istanbul, Japan (except to bring in Ninja Commandos), Hong Kong, Egypt, Uganda, Italy, etc. That's the whole point about James Bond that sets it apart. They seek out beautiful exotic locations.
Old January 3 2013, 04:06 PM   #469
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post

That will probably go to "Les Miserables"

Everyone's been talking about Anne's rendition of "I dreamed a dream" for months
Old January 3 2013, 04:57 PM   #470
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Did he really fail the tests because he's actually bad at target practice, or was he trying to make it seem like he was bad at them?
No, it's the former. I thought it was pretty obvious. That's why he was surprised when he found out he didn't pass later on.

The movie itself was also an excuse.. for itself. He had to chase down and beat up a bad guy in Shanghai. Why? Because Shanghai looked kewl.
Couldn't the same be said for Jamaica, Istanbul, Japan (except to bring in Ninja Commandos), Hong Kong, Egypt, Uganda, Italy, etc. That's the whole point about James Bond that sets it apart. They seek out beautiful exotic locations.
I've seen it twice and I didn't find it obvious. The character by nature is stoic, and always is supposed to have a plan within a plan, and, by that logic, intentionally gives off whatever external veneer will suit his purpose, so there's no way for me to know that he failed them by accident, and Craig's take on the character is rather wooden (which is I guess how Bond is supposed to be, which is a problem) that I found myself unsure. Maybe he wanted Ralph Fiennes to think he wasn't as good as he used to be at targets and all the other tests. I have no idea, and Craig doesn't have the charisma of an 80's or 90's era Harrison Ford to let me know with a mere glance if he meant to fail or not.

I'm not a big Alec Baldwin fan by any means, but watch his nuanced performance in Hunt for Red October. There, a mere expression will tell you that he thinks he's in over his head, and even if he doesn't betray these feelings to a character he's talking to, we still get it.

As for your second point, I agree. Just as I agree that Trek movies are not praised for their glory shots of the enterprise. But they have them anyway. Why is this film being praised beyond the usual accolades of other Bond films?
Old January 3 2013, 07:56 PM   #471
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Also, is it just me, (and this occurred to me within the first minutes of the film on my first viewing) but didn't this film have exactly the same plot as the first Mission: Impossible film?

Yes, he has to get some disk that has a list of agents on it. Yup, sounds familiar and altogether unoriginal to me.

I guess with the cold war over, they can't think of what kind of spy plots to make anymore, so instead of spies actually spying on countries or leaders or whatever, all the spy movies are about protecting the identities of other spies. Geesh!
Old January 3 2013, 08:15 PM   #472
MacLeod
Admiral

Well in "For Your Eyes Only" Bond had to recover a decoder that would potentially allow a foreign government to read British Intel. Which is more or less the same recover somethingwhich could harm our intelligence operations if the wrong people got ahold of it.

Or shall we go back to a real world example. Were the Allies wanted to get their hands on the Nazi Lorenz and Engima machines.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 09:18 PM   #473
Alidar Jarok

Everyone's been talking about Anne's rendition of "I dreamed a dream" for months
Isn't the category "Best Original Song"?
Old January 3 2013, 10:21 PM   #474
Starkers
Admiral

Also, is it just me, (and this occurred to me within the first minutes of the film on my first viewing) but didn't this film have exactly the same plot as the first Mission: Impossible film?

Yes, he has to get some disk that has a list of agents on it. Yup, sounds familiar and altogether unoriginal to me.

I guess with the cold war over, they can't think of what kind of spy plots to make anymore, so instead of spies actually spying on countries or leaders or whatever, all the spy movies are about protecting the identities of other spies. Geesh!
Yup it's exactly the same, even down to him having to go rogue and be hunted by his own side, breaking into MI6 headquarters to steal the other half of the list, having to recruit disavowed agents and work with criminals to try and expose the real traitor who, effectively, is M who was behind it all all along even though we thought she died at the start of the film and of course the was in league with Moneypenny who is shot and killed by M...

Yeah, exactly the same plot...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:10 AM   #475
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Exactly. It's for songs that were written specifically for a film released in the previous year. Songs that were released before, without having anything to do with the film, don't qualify. Songs from previously staged musicals adapted for the screen don't qualify.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:29 AM   #476
Skywalker
Admiral

Exactly. It's for songs that were written specifically for a film released in the previous year. Songs that were released before, without having anything to do with the film, don't qualify. Songs from previously staged musicals adapted for the screen don't qualify.
Yeah, I remember a song from Moulin Rouge! was disqualified because Baz Luhrmann actually wrote it for Romeo + Juliet.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:30 PM   #477
lennier1
Commodore

The movie has a lot of weaknesses, but Craig's acting finally gave life to the dangerous animal that's posing as a human. In other words, they showed what makes the novels so great.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:42 PM   #478
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post

Yup it's exactly the same, even down to him having to go rogue and be hunted by his own side, breaking into MI6 headquarters to steal the other half of the list, having to recruit disavowed agents and work with criminals to try and expose the real traitor who, effectively, is M who was behind it all all along even though we thought she died at the start of the film and of course the was in league with Moneypenny who is shot and killed by M...

Yeah, exactly the same plot...
Obviously, you spend more time being a wise-ass than reading all of my post or my previous post to actually engage my actual point.
Old January 4 2013, 07:54 PM   #479
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Some aspects of the villain reminded me of Alec Trevelyan from GoldenEye (one of my favorite Bond villains). Former Agent, went renegade, now has his own Evil Syndicate, etc. Except Trevelyan had a history with Bond and a personal vendetta on him, whereas Javier Bardem had one with M instead.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 08:42 PM   #480
Alidar Jarok

Yeah, someone pointed out it's more or less a combination of Alec Trevelyan and Elekra King.