RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,186
Posts: 5,436,119
Members: 24,948
Currently online: 681
Newest member: Sawney_Bean

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 18 2012, 11:23 AM   #241
teacock
Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

It's like a female Dr. Who. With every passing year it seems more likely as an old franchise looks about for something fresh. Not that either of these aren't fresh in their own way right now but we know they worry they won't stay that way.

I'm not saying it is in any way inevitable, just that as a possibility it's there. So might as well hang out with the idea for a while and have some fun.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:44 AM   #242
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
We've gone from "it will happen" to "why not" in two posts. Some prophecy. Fact is, James Bond's a white fella. If we're going to be all PC about it, at least have the next one be a black, Muslim, pregnant, disabled, lesbian, Welsh woman.
"Fact" is he has a father who was a UK (Scottish) citizen and a mother who was a Swiss citizen. That's it.

Though by inference in the novel Live And Let Die, he's not black, but it's never stated as an explicit fact
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: The Haunted Book (Jeremy Dyson)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:46 AM   #243
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

I'm honestly shocked by the amount of praise this movie is receiving. I found it incredibly dull and very non-Bondian despite all the references to other Bond films. It felt more like something from Burn Notice or one of the Bourne movies, and Silva was easily one of the most irritating, annoying, and insipid villains of recent films. His master plan relied entirely on the stupidity of the screenwriters, as did Bond's. "Herp a derp, I'm the most geniusest of computer geniuses!" decrees Q as he plugs MI6's entire network directly into the computer system of a crazy superhacker.

And I'm not kidding about the Burn Notice reference. I'm almost positive that I've seen most of those "ingenious" traps Bond and M set up in the mansion on the show. Nevermind that the whole thing was so completely non-Bondish in and of itself. And why the Hell didn't M smack the everliving fuck out of the groundskeeper if he was waving that flashlight around after they got out of the tunnel? Hell, I'm not even sure what kind of sanctuary they expected to have at the church seeing the only reason to have left the tunnels in the first place was because they knew Silva and his crew would go hunting for them once they discovered there were no bodies inside the mansion itse...

You know what, there's just too much to rant about this movie. When I go to see a Bond movie, I expect to see a Bond movie. A smooth superspy with cool gadgets, over the top action scenes, and lots of womanizing complete with hot chicks with ridiculous names. If I want to watch a cheap knock-off of a Bourne movie, I'll watch something else.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:56 AM   #244
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
You know what, there's just too much to rant about this movie. When I go to see a Bond movie, I expect to see a Bond movie. A smooth superspy with cool gadgets, over the top action scenes, and lots of womanizing complete with hot chicks with ridiculous names. If I want to watch a cheap knock-off of a Bourne movie, I'll watch something else.
But... but this film had all that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:07 PM   #245
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

As does Austin Powers.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:45 PM   #246
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

teacake wrote: View Post
In it lots you say, well I may just have to actually watch the thing.
I wouldn't say she's in it lots; but she is memorable. Take some kleenex.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:03 PM   #247
teacock
Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Now wait a minute..
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 01:23 PM   #248
Kai "the spy"
Commodore
 
Kai "the spy"'s Avatar
 
Location: Here.
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
"Fact" is he has a father who was a UK (Scottish) citizen and a mother who was a Swiss citizen. That's it.

Though by inference in the novel Live And Let Die, he's not black, but it's never stated as an explicit fact
Vesper Lynd in the CR novel: "Bond reminds me rather of Hoagy Carmichael, but there is something cold and ruthless."

Hoagy Carmichael:


And I hope nobody's suggesting "something cold and ruthless" means "black".
__________________
Chicks dig red trunks!

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 02:14 PM   #249
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
You know what, there's just too much to rant about this movie. When I go to see a Bond movie, I expect to see a Bond movie. A smooth superspy with cool gadgets, over the top action scenes, and lots of womanizing complete with hot chicks with ridiculous names. If I want to watch a cheap knock-off of a Bourne movie, I'll watch something else.
But... but this film had all that.
If you say so. A car with a red button and an implied ejector seat does not a cool Bond gadget make. Especially when the guy who dishes out the cool gadgets specifically states that they don't do that sort of thing anymore.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 04:23 PM   #250
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Obviously the invisible car in Die Another Day has made quite the impact on the Bond Franchise. Ten years later and the most "out there" gadget we get is a DNA encoded pistol.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 07:14 PM   #251
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
We've gone from "it will happen" to "why not" in two posts. Some prophecy. Fact is, James Bond's a white fella. If we're going to be all PC about it, at least have the next one be a black, Muslim, pregnant, disabled, lesbian, Welsh woman.
I actually had a dream last night where a female friend of mine was cast as Bond.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
And why the Hell didn't M smack the everliving fuck out of the groundskeeper if he was waving that flashlight around after they got out of the tunnel? Hell, I'm not even sure what kind of sanctuary they expected to have at the church seeing the only reason to have left the tunnels in the first place was because they knew Silva and his crew would go hunting for them once they discovered there were no bodies inside the mansion itse...
Yeah, escaping into the dark and waving a flashlight around was pretty dumb. Someone said earlier that it was too dark, but still...

Is there a TV trope for when people do stuff like that?
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 07:32 PM   #252
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Stupid Is As Stupid Does. Or Too Dumb To Live.

Though having a flashlight crossing an ice-covered whatever at night doesn't seem particularly dumb. Waving it around or pointing it in direction of pursuer(s) might.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 11:23 PM   #253
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
And why the Hell didn't M smack the everliving fuck out of the groundskeeper if he was waving that flashlight around after they got out of the tunnel? Hell, I'm not even sure what kind of sanctuary they expected to have at the church seeing the only reason to have left the tunnels in the first place was because they knew Silva and his crew would go hunting for them once they discovered there were no bodies inside the mansion itse...
Yeah, escaping into the dark and waving a flashlight around was pretty dumb. Someone said earlier that it was too dark, but still...

Is there a TV trope for when people do stuff like that?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ingAStupidCunt
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 05:11 AM   #254
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

One silly thing that bothered me is that Bond didn't take at least one more shot at Silva when he did his bit with the subway.

There were some parts of this that were definitely silly and credibility straining but then again this is Bond after all so I don't hold that too much against it.

Was some truly beautiful shots in this, this will be one to watch again just for the sights.

It will be interesting to see where they go with the next movie having set up so many of the more traditional Bond trappings. Perhaps we'll get a less introspective adventure next time out.


Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I understand that Idris Elba has been in talks with Barbara Broccoli to take over someday; I wouldn't mind seeing that. (I'm watching the BBC series, "Luther," and Elba definitely has the acting/action chops).
As I've said before I think Idris Elba's name is bandied about in consideration for all roles. I don't know how he'll find time to be Bond until he's done being Doctor Who.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 08:39 AM   #255
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Enchantment
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

I was teetering on A-/B+, but gave it the benefit of the doubt.

Skyfall is an excellent case of a mediocre script saved by an outstanding director. The plot (as others have alluded to) was a silly and pointless copycat, and the dialog was pretty much by-the-numbers. Most of the humor was flat and forced.

But the acting was good to excellent all around, the cinematography was artful, and the suspense held-up through the pacing.

I do have to say the film was absolutely breathtaking. Deakins out did himself (which is saying a lot). One could argue that it is the most beautiful Bond film to date.

The score, however, left something to be desired. It's definitely the weakest in recent memory--at least since Goldeneye, wich I liked more than most. Adele's song was a bland and generic and it just recycled the refrain from the Cornell song. Not to mention, the only memorable cue in the whole film was the classic guitar riff during the Aston Martin scene.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, james bond

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.