The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2012, 12:41 AM   #61
therealsb63
Lieutenant

Re: Logan's Run: Is the Domed City actually "Sanctuary"

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Klaus wrote: View Post
I tried to watch the series back when it came out and fled in disgust lol... I use Logan's Run as an example of the typical great book - good movie - awful TV series progression.
Don't forget the Marvel Comic!

(Which had nice art by George Perez, as I recall.)
I have the whole Marvel Run. It was funny how Marvel had the rights to do the adaptation, but didn't have the rights to use the likenesses of Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, etc...but Perez's art more than made up for it. Was too bad it got cancelled only two issues after the movie adaptation was over, I had a feeling the voice that was talking to Francis in the last issue was what we would see in the series as the Council of Elders.

Speaking of the series, how many really noticed that the formulas for the "Logan's Run" series was the exact same as the "Planet Of The Apes" series, and both were on CBS. The three good guys (either Galen & the astronauts or Logan, Jessica and Rem) come into a town/settlement, find some kind of problem/oppression/danger that they help solve/stop/dispel, and make friends and get away just before the Ape Army/Sandmen catch up with them.
Old November 7 2012, 04:53 AM   #62
sojourner
Admiral

^Which was also the formula for The Incredible Hulk, The A-Team, and countless other shows.
Old November 7 2012, 03:57 PM   #63
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

^Right back to The Fugitive.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 04:18 PM   #64
therealsb63
Lieutenant

You're both quite right...note even "The Hulk" was a CBS series as well..."The Invaders" followed the same motif as well.
Old November 8 2012, 08:18 AM   #65
aelius
Commander

Sindatur wrote: View Post

How about Logan's Run + Soylent Green + Hunger Games.

When you turn 21, you have to fight to death against other young people--and the losers get turned into food paste!

"Feed your Hunger Games with Soylent Green!"
Klaus wrote: View Post
^^I assume you'll be writing the novelization?
Hmmm...Klaus, it's been about 24 hours since you asked him, and he's posted replies to several other posts in this thread since then. Have we stumbled onto a Top Secret Project he's not allowed to talk about (Neither confirm, nor deny)?
I wish! But, really, there's no need to novelize LOGAN'S RUN since there's a preexisting novel . . . not that this has always stopped Hollywood before.

(Anyone else remember BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA . . . by Fred Saberhagen? )

Me, I would just slap the key art for the new movie on the original novel and hope for the best. Most of the time that sells better than a straight novelization . . . .
The one by Saberhagen was The Dracula Tapes. And it was awesome. Bram Stokers Dracula, but from the POV of the one character you never heard from directly in that book. Dracula himself.
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 03:57 PM   #66
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

aelius wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Hmmm...Klaus, it's been about 24 hours since you asked him, and he's posted replies to several other posts in this thread since then. Have we stumbled onto a Top Secret Project he's not allowed to talk about (Neither confirm, nor deny)?
I wish! But, really, there's no need to novelize LOGAN'S RUN since there's a preexisting novel . . . not that this has always stopped Hollywood before.

(Anyone else remember BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA . . . by Fred Saberhagen? )

Me, I would just slap the key art for the new movie on the original novel and hope for the best. Most of the time that sells better than a straight novelization . . . .
The one by Saberhagen was The Dracula Tapes. And it was awesome. Bram Stokers Dracula, but from the POV of the one character you never heard from directly in that book. Dracula himself.

We're talking about two different books. Saberhagen did several Dracula novels, beginning with The Dracula Tapes. But he also wrote the novelization of the Coppola movie.

There have also been novelizations of such films as Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Great Expectations, which always strikes me as a bit bizarre.

(I was once approached about publishing a novelization of The Island of Dr. Moreau, but didn't see the point; why not just reprint the original novel with the movie tie-in art on the cover?)
Old November 10 2012, 03:44 PM   #67
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

In the case of "Logan's Run", the movie departs so significantly from the book that it deserves it's own novelization.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote